Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tainted World Records - how can we level that playing field

In the mist of all of the drug controversy, I guess that we can admit that track and field is not 100% clean - although it is probably on of the cleanest.

I would gather that the main reason for cheating is money. However, I also believe that there are two motives to achieve this.

One is to get ahead of your competitors - you beat them, you make more money.

The other is to break world records - this applies to those who are already talented enough to beat all of their competitors, so their only real challenge (and chance at more money) is to break a world record. For example - it becomes Marion vs Flo-Jo : how do you level that playing field.

I believe that Marion falls into the latter category (not saying that she has used drugs, but just saying that if she had a motive to do so, it would be to take on Flo-Jo - not Block, Edwards, White, Devers, nor Arron).

So wouldn't one step in the battle against drug use be to remove knowingly tainted or highly suspicious records from the books.

Knowingly tainted refers to records like Koch's 400 (drug use has been proven and documented, but never admitted by Koch and therefore can't be determined as a positive).

Highly suspicious refers to Flo Jo - nough said - but to be politically correct, lets just say to Flo-Jos 100 meter mark, due to the questions around whether the wind guage was functioning properly.

I think we all know what the unspoken truth is behind a lot of the women's world records. Unfortunately, there more than likely isn't a person alive that will challenge these marks (or even see them challenged) without 'assistance'.

So what is the motivation or challenge for women like Marion, who can obviously beat anyone competing today while remaining clean.

My answer is by breaking world records, which isn't possible to do clean.

Does anyone know if there has been any 'talk' or thought by IAAF or USATF to purify some of the women's marks? Is it possible for them to do so without positives? Isn't there some rational that they could come up with to justify removing a mark from the books. Definately marks by people who have tested positive or where there is documented evidence that the athlete wasn't clean.

I almost (almost) can't blame an athlete that has trained hard and wants a fair shot at a world record, but the only way to get that fair shot is to use drugs. Can You? (This is in regards to an athlete that can beat everyone else without any assistance - so the only thing to chase is a record).

Re: Tainted World Records - how can we level that playing fi

"My answer is by breaking world records, which isn't possible to do clean."

BS! Some of the more tainted records will obviously take longer to break, but it is the nature of (wo)man to surpass that which has gone before. If everything went clean today, we would still have WRs.

Comment

>If everything went clean today, we would still have WRs.>>>

Not in most of the women's events...take a look at them, bloody ridiculous.

Comment

Look at ALL the names of women WR-holders. So they are ALL dirty? I totally disagree.

Comment

>Look at ALL the names of women WR-holders. So they are ALL dirty? I totally
          >disagree.
          >>>>

Literally the ONLY one I have complete faith in is Paula's marathon (and I'm not saying that because I'm a Brit).

Comment

10.49 100 , 47.60 400, 1:53.28 800, 3:50.46 1500, 14:28.09 5k, 29:31.78 10k, 41.37 4x1

just a partial list of womens marks that i dont think will be broken CLEAN in our lifetimes

could be wrong

Comment

>14:28.09 5k

Are you crazy?! That's one of the easiest women's WRs on the books!! Wang Junxia has the 3k and 10k records, but she forgot to blast the 5k record into obscurity while she was at her best. It's been shown that she had the ability (in that year at least) to run low 14's.

As it stands, there are several women about at the moment who could quite easily smash that WR. Berhane Adere got close to it last year, as did Gete Wami just a couple years previously. If Paula Radcliffe hadn't fell asleep for the first 2 laps of the 5k at the 2002 Commonwealth Games, she would have broken the WR then. And there's a handful of up-and-coming Ethiopians who have bags of ability too.... that record should be in the 14:20-range.

Look at the top 17 performances. Take away the five that were set in Shanghai in '97, and the remaining 13 performances have all been set in the last 6 years. It shows that this (along with the women's Marathon, PV and Steeplechase) is one of the events that is still steadily progressing.

Comment

its amazing how worked up people get on here!

i take back the 5k, i hastily threw it in

now argue with the others =)

(im assuming worldwide times are going to drop as fallout from the doping crackdown, too)

Comment

21.34 won't be broken either. It amazes me that some people think the women's 100 and 200 WRs were done without performance enhancing drugs. I know I don't
                  why don't people pronounce vowels anymore

Comment

while we're at it.... 19.32 - while looking more ripped that Ahnuld

Comment

Working...
                    X