• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why wasn't White banned for life?

What happened to the USATF press release dated;

"USATF approves lifetime ban for first-time steroid offenses
    12-7-2003"

Why did White get off with such a soft sentence?

Re: Why wasn't White banned for life?

I personally think life without parole would have been sufficient.

Comment

One has to guess that this is what in the real world would pass for a plea bargain. Prosecution doesn't really want to go through with a lengthy trial (horrid publicity, heavy expenses, system getting tied up), so they offer her a 2-year in exchange for a confession. (And in this case the "2-year" is effectively a 5-year.)

Comment

Yes , I agree . It is just sad for USATF to go through the whole public BS of the "new hardline approach" with no intention of following through.

Comment

I think by admitting a violation she prob. saved the USATF time and money, so they didn't crush her.

Comment

I am not sure, but I think the lifetime bans are not going to be used on the THG users...because the lifetime ban starts with doping violations this year.
            And by the way...a lifetime ban is the most stupid thing on this planet...even a rapist gets a chance to recover....why shouldn´t an athlete? She lost all of her prs and every title from Dec 2000 till now...I think that is enough.

Comment

The Friar has it right.

USADA handled it perfectly.

This is a satisfying result and, more importantly, it will get the ball rolling.
              "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

First off, the USATF Zero Tolerance is a PR joke. They have no authority. I echoe mrbowie, it was handled right. Now lets see how the others act. Kudos to USADA, Kellie White and the others who will help this situation.

Comment

The USATF Zero Tolerance Policy was adopted last December. I believe it applies only to steroid positivs from samples given after the policy's adoption. I haven't read anything that would suggest that White ever tested positive for steroids.

Comment

Think of it as a plea bargain. She gets light sentence if she promises to rat out the others. How much cooperation would investigators get if they had given her the full slam?
                    "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

What if they marketed more reduced sentences for co-operation?

"Limited time offer! Next three cheaters to confess and spill the beans on others will get 50% off their suspension! Good while supplies last. Not valid in conjuction with any other offers."

Imagine being one of the cheaters and wondering if you should take the risk that you might test positive later on and be subjected to the full time or one of your training partners decides to rat you out. Makes going clean a whole lot more appealing.

Comment

USATF may have adopted teh Zero Tolerance policy, but it is not recgonzied by the IAAF, the anti-doping agency or the Olympic Committee. The USATF has not power on anti-doping rules.

Comment

>Yes , I agree . It is just sad for USATF to go through the whole public BS of
                          >the "new hardline approach" with no intention of following through.>>

I'm not sure that a lifetime ban stands up in court.

Comment

Actually, the USATF rules allow for a ban 'up to life' which is in keeping with the IAAF. When the USATF "lifetime ban" hit the newspapers, it was generally misreported as a new get tough policy banning 1st time users and political cover for Masback.

Comment

Life ban? Such a thing is ludicrous. Make sure all positive drug tests miss the following Olympic year, whether it be a 6 month or a 4 year ban, the individual should not represent his or her country in the following Olympic games. Let's uphold the integrity and spirit of the Games.

Comment

Working...
                              X