Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kelli's Prize Money

There are front page articles in many newspapers this AM about Kelli's admission. This URL links to the Washington Post article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/ar ... May19.html

In the article, Torri laments that she didn't have the experience of crossing the line first. But presumably she'll now get not only the gold medal but also first place prize money. Yet I haven't seen any reference to this. It is the case, isn't it, that Kelli has to return the prize money and Torri will receive the difference between 2nd and 1st? What happens if Kelli doesn't have that much liquidity?

I went to IAAF.org to see if they answered this question - maybe there's an article somewhere on the site, but the front page has no link to any news about White, nor does the "Anti-Doping" page.

Re: Kelli's Prize Money

I doubt kelli was paid her prixze money in the first place so can't see her being asked to pay it back.

Comment

Indeed, I'm pretty sure she never received her prize money. It's never paid right away anyway, and certainly the payout is put off if there are doubts about the performance. White's positive test for modafinil was announced just a few days after she won her golds, so she wouldn't have received the money.

The more difficult question is her prize money from the 2001 WCh... and not just hers, but also the money that the entire US relay squad received.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

This seems plausible.

The fact that Kelli most likely had not yet received the money explains in great part why she rolled over so quickly.

Just imagine if the decision had to deal with the reality of returning money that had been spent or diverted.
        "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

AMERICAN SPRINTER Kelli White accepted a two-year drug ban yesterday, costing her a trip to the Athens Olympics and every medal she won during the past four years. White tested positive for the stimulant modafinil at last year's world championships and U.S. nationals. The U.S. Anti-Doping Agency said it also found evidence she used undetectable steroids and the endurance-enhancing hormone erythropoietin. The USADA, based in nearby Colorado Springs, said some evidence was obtained through documents from the federal investigation into BALCO.

"In doing this, I have not only cheated myself, but also my family, friends and sport," White said in a statement. "I am sorry for the poor choices I have made."

The 27-year-old sprinter said she plans to compete again when the ban ends in May 2006.

White is the first athlete to be suspended based on information from the BALCO case. The Bay Area drug company is accused of illegally distributing steroids and performance-enhancing drugs to professional athletes.

The Senate this month released information in the BALCO case to Olympic officials, who requested the materials so they could be sure to field a clean team in Athens.

Five-time Olympic medallist Marion Jones said last week she would sue USADA if it prevents her from going to Athens without a positive drug test, but White decided against fighting the suspension.

"If given the opportunity, there is so much I would do differently," White said. "Unfortunately, we cannot go back in time."

Comment

what she's really sorry about, of course, is that she got caught.

Comment

Prize money is only part of what is potentially at stake here. There are some obvious financial claims that could be asserted against Ms. White.

ï‚· A claim by the IAAF for recovery of prize money that she earned in the 2001 World Championships and the 2002 World Cup. This could include a claim by the IAAF against the entire 4x100m relay team.

ï‚· Claims by meet promoters for prize money paid to her in the relevant period (which appears to be from December, 2000, to the present).

ï‚· Claims by athletes who finished below her in every event in which she received prize money. They’ll claim that they were all paid prizes for one place lower than they should have been. Of course to the extent the IAAF or meet promoters, as the case may be, recover the money from White and re-distribute it (or make compensatory payments even if they don’t recover the money from White), those claims would disappear.

ï‚· Claims by her relay teammates in the 2001 World Championships if the IAAF seeks and obtains recovery of the prize money won by the relay.

ï‚· Claims by her shoe company sponsor, and any other sponsor(s) she may have had, for payments that were based on her T&FN world rankings, which have now been taken away. THose sponsors may also have other contractual bases for asserting claims.

ï‚· Claims by other athletes who ranked below her and whose contracts also rewarded T&FN rankings. (Those claims would disappear if their sponsors paid the difference, reflecting the revised rankings, which they may very well not do since they got no benefit from it at the time.)

ï‚· A claim by Torri Edwards based on the damages she suffered by being deprived of the ability to capitalize on being the World Champion at 100 meters. (Yes, Kapachinskaya has a similar claim, but for several reasons, that is much less likely to be asserted.)

As with all legal claims, there could be some good defenses. Unique facts and circumstances could affect the outcome. But I’m sure that all of those who have ever raced against Kelli White or done business with her as a track professional is now thinking about their legal rights.

It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Comment

Her prize money is not at stake unless/until the IAAF decides that she must return her international winnings. According to her settlement, she does not [at least] forfeit non-international earnings, although she loses all times and medals from 2000.

Comment

>Her prize money is not at stake unless/until the IAAF decides that she must return her international winnings. According to her settlement, she does not [at least] forfeit non-international earnings, although she loses all times and medals from 2000.<

The fact that the settlement said nothing about prize money doesn't mean it won't be forfeited. If the performances are nullified, the basis for awarding the prize money disappears and whoever gave her the prize money could ask for it back, since it was paid for an invalid performance.

Comment

That's interesting, YCN. Can you point to a source where I can read the settlement?

Comment

"The US Attorney's office has informed us they consider this [backlash against White] a very serious matter, and will respond immediately if her safety is threatened or compromised in any way," Jerrold Colton, White:s attorney, said (Fox Sports).

http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,86 ... 18,00.html

Comment

DecFan, here's my source:
                        http://www.usatoday.com/sports/olympics ... deal_x.htm

See the 7th paragraph.

Comment

I would guess that "doesn't have to forfeit winnings" refers only to domestic things over which USADA/USATF have control. Can't imagine that IAAF is in any way bound to honor that stipulation and could still come after the '01 WC monies. And use repayment of that as a condition to any reinstatement.

Comment

DecFan, I noted that caveat in my original post. I have a feeling that the IAAF may deal more harshly with her, given their prior disposition of feeling that the USATF has played cat and mouse games with them.

Comment

To respond to every comment pertaining to Kelli, I must say that I thank God for his son forgiving us for our sins and the evil things that we do! I say this because Kelli, being that she DID CHEAT, will face some very serious problems in the future! People all over the world condenming her, her emotions, her finances pertaining to her individual winnings that have been erased, her doubts about herself and the comeback she will try to do after her ban will be a HUGE weight on her shoulder...yet God Is!!

She did an admirable task of admitting her selfish and decietful ways, yet she did just that...she came out like a soldier and did what most elite athletes would not have done! I believe Kelli has faith in God and asked for repentance and forgiveness, and that's all she needs to get back into the swing of things in her life and her track and field career.

We can only talk about her but for so long and come to realize that 'Who are WE to judge?' How many of us have either been tempted to use drugs or have done them. Matter of a fact...Marion & Co as well as half the USATF squad need to fess up on some things! But..dare I say that about America's hope and glory of T & F? We won't even go there.

Fact is to let the woman have peace with her wrong doing, let God judge her and not us. We are as human as she is...PERIOD! If I was in front of her now, I would say the following and leave it alone..."Kelli, you messed up but I applaud your efforts to help USATF stay clean, even in the mist of your decietful ways. Ask God, your family and friends for forgiveness and forget about what the WORLD will say about you! The world doesn't have a clue what God's forgiveness can do for us unless we ask him. God bless you and keep you. You will be alright!"

Comment

Working...
                              X