• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Jones/USADA meeting...

...is referred to on the front page:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... jsp?id=260

From that USADA press release:

“I am aware of Mr. Burrton’s comments following today’s meeting. It is clear from those comments that Mr. Burton rejects the idea of a non-analytical positive and contends that only athletes who test positive or admit to a violation can be sanctioned,” Tygart stated. “Without commenting on the specifics of any case, USADA confirms that that Mr. Burton is absolutely incorrect in his position.”

From the SFGate.com:

"If she had something to hide, she wouldn't have answered every question," said Burton.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f ... DT0112.DTL

Back to the press release:

“To avoid any subsequent misunderstanding we had asked if Ms. Jones would agree to have a court reporter present at the meeting or otherwise have it recorded. She would not agree."

Why not if there is nothing to hide?

Re: The Jones/USADA meeting...

I am puzzled.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

well, if they have invoices for THG, for $7500 and a copy of her check for $7500, i would hope she wouldnt pull the 'yeah but you dont have positive test results' crap -- that's just ridiculous, and she'll be shown up as not only a juicer but quite an ass. i guess if that is the case she just expects people to think she wanted to see how THG smelled?

Comment

>I am puzzled.

My guess is that Jones and her lawyer think that the USADA is going to go for a non-analytical positive. They likely knew that there were no samples around to retest and are going the "no positive-no suspension" route. Which, of course, doesn't work.

Comment

That sounds bloody ominous to me. They must have more than the $7k check. And why wouldn't she have it recorded? Oh dear...

Comment

Sometimes I say things that, if they were read back to me later, may not gibe with a later statement I've made, and it's just my bad memory. She could recall an event one way and then try to clarify it later. Then they go, 'Aha, caught you in a lie!' Let's stay neutral in this till we have the facts.

Comment

>They must have more than the $7k check.

They must. That would be too easy to blow away.

Comment

Well, I wonder what the USADA deadline might be for Jones to "confess" before they finally lower the boom? With lawsuits threatened, I can see a fiasco like we had in 1992 looming for Sacramento.

Comment

>With lawsuits threatened...

Not relevant as I said in the "And Marion Says She'll Sue" thread. From the USADA press release:

"This multi-leveled process begins with a review by USADA of information it receives of potential doping violations, followed by a review by an independent review board and ultimately arbitration before the American Arbitration Association with an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport. As a matter of law, an athlete has no ability to seek the intervention of courts concerning a matter arising under our process."

Comment

There mere fact that Jones felt compelled to call for meeting tells me that she must be somewhat aware what evidence the USADA posses.

Her goal in calling for the meeting is a preemtive strike to intimidate the USADA into not moving forward unless they have complete confidence in their evidence.

This is a blink contest. Marion looked them in the eye. Now we will see who blinks.

Until we see what the USADA really has, nobody will know for sure where Marion stands.

I have been a big fan of hers. I really cannot figure out which way this thing is going to go.

My hunch is that the USADA will not have enough to go against Marion. But let's wait it out and see.

If she is lying, she is one convincing liar.
                    "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

>...an athlete
                      >has no ability to seek the intervention of courts concerning a matter arising
                      >under our process.
                      But in the 21st century version of the US, we have federal judges who seem to ignore the laws of the land on a regular basis (until overturned by yet another federal judge). I'm sure that if/when they lower the boom, she'll use her very deep pockets as necessary to attempt to extricate herself. If guilty, she's already digging herself into a pretty deep hole with her public statements. This is not going to be pretty. Damn.

Comment

This is a
                        >blink contest. Marion looked them in the eye. Now we will see who
                        >blinks.

The USADA is an organization. It's not an individual with his or her money on the line. It's not going to be scared away with mean stares or allegedly deep pockets. Presumably, they also have their ducks in a row.

Comment

But in the 21st century version of the US,
                          >we have federal judges who seem to ignore the laws of the land on a regular
                          >basis (until overturned by yet another federal judge).

Maybe but I don't know how. Presumably, by joining the USATF, she has agreed to live by the above process.

Comment

>
                            This is a
                            >blink contest. Marion looked them in the eye. Now we will see
                            >who
                            >blinks.

The USADA is an organization. It's not an individual with his
                            >or her money on the line. It's not going to be scared away with mean stares or
                            >allegedly deep pockets. Presumably, they also have their ducks in a row.

You don't actually think I meant to imply that this was an actual contest wherein Marion Jones would eyeball them until one blinked, do you?

What I meant to say is that now both sides have presented their position and now it is time for one of them to make their move.

The USADA is not going to go against the star attraction of this country unless it feels damn sure if really has the goods on her.

I am sure if they do, then they will lower the boom.

What Marion did was challenge them.

Soon we will see what gives, irrespective of an actual blink for goodness sakes!
                            "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Marion has a credibility problem right now.

When her attorney says USADA has no "compelling evindence" he is talking about hard evidence, namely positive drug tests with solid chain of custody documentation, or a sworn admission of drug use.

There are agreements already in place between the WADA and IAAF , of which USADA and USATF are subsidiary beneficiaries, that clearly state that non-analytical evidence, when taken as a whole, show compelling evidence of drug use, whether or not detected, whether or not admitted, they have the absolute right to prohibit an athlete from competition, and saction that athlete just as if positive test results or an admission of guilt could be produced.

It's obvious that USADA has more than just a check on Marion, or they would have cleared her at the meeting. Just as clearly, it is obvious that if Marion had nothing to hide (and her attorney was present for the meeting) then there was no reason whatsover not to allow a court recorder to document the meeting.

Marion can shout to the heavens about this being a witch hunt, but she is BEING the witch she proclaims not to be.

It's put up or shut up time, Marion. Everyone is tired of your deception. What's the purpose?

Comment

Working...
                              X