Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snitching

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/w ... ot.button/

This writer deplores the USADA tactic of employing Kelli White to assist the organization by snitching on other athletes that cheated.

My position is that the cops have been so badly outmaneuvered and behind the 8-ball for so many years, that they need to take advantage of every tool in their new arsenal to strike as many fatal blows as possible while they have the ammo and the chance.
    "Who's Kidding Who?"

Re: Snitching

>http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...24/hot.button/

T
    >is writer deplores the USADA tactic of employing Kelli White to assist the
    >organization by snitching on other athletes that cheated.

I feel like Bill Murray chasing the groundhogs in Caddyshack. Memo to Phil Taylor, Rick Telander and everyone else
    who has picked up this talking point: NO ONE HAS ANYTHING TO WORRY ABOUT IF THEY DIDN'T CHEAT.

Comment

snitching??!! If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

We need some housecleaning, and some people are trying to hide the dirt?

At the Naval Academy there's this little thing called the Honor Code. If you don't 'snitch' about a wrongdoing, you are equally liable for the offense. I always liked that.

Comment

At the Naval Academy there's this little thing called the Honor Code. If
        >you don't 'snitch' about a wrongdoing, you are equally liable for the offense.
        >I always liked that.

*sniff* smells like witches being hunted

Comment

There's no such thing as a witch (the supernatural kind, that is). There are, however, bad people who need to face justice. Finding them out is a good thing.

Comment

The obvious contradiction with the snitch system is that the word of the convicted or who face threat of conviction is considered credible ... only when prosecutors want to take someone down, yet, on the other hand, such a person's word isn't worth anything on any other issue. The snitch system has resulted in the greatest amount of innocent people landing in jail. It is a very ugly situation.

Comment

"The snitch system has resulted in the greatest amount of innocent people landing in jail."

I assume you speak as a legal expert with pertinent evidence at your command.

A Snitch's word is NEVER taken at face value. It merely opens new avenues of investigation.

Comment

>The obvious contradiction with the snitch system is that the word of the
                >convicted or who face threat of conviction is considered credible

Nonsense. It is used in conjunction with all of the other evidence and credibility is always an issue.

Comment

<Nonsense. It is used in conjunction with all of the other evidence and credibility is always an issue.>

I wish I could be quite so sure about it. I lived under the system where you never knew whether a guy you considered to be your friend wasn't a secret police snitch. Not pretty.
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

><Nonsense. It is used in conjunction with all of the other evidence and
                    >credibility is always an issue.>

I wish I could be quite so sure about it. I
                    >lived under the system where you never knew whether a guy you considered to be
                    >your friend wasn't a secret police snitch. Not pretty.

That's different. I'm talking about the snitch who uses testimony to avoid a conviction and /or get his or her sentence reduced. My point is that his or her testimony is always challenged on the basis of credilbilty and that credibilty is weighed by the judge or jury in conjunction with all the other evidence.

Comment

>I wish I could be quite so sure about it. I
                      >lived under the system where you never knew whether a guy you considered to be
                      >your friend wasn't a secret police snitch. Not pretty.

East Germany, pego?

Comment

>

>I wish I could be quite so sure about it. I
                        >lived under the system where
                        >you never knew whether a guy you considered to be
                        >your friend wasn't a secret
                        >police snitch. Not pretty.

>East Germany, pego?

I'm thinking Czechoslovakia for some reason but he could be from pretty well anywhere from behind the iron curtain.

Comment

I thought it was Finland.

Comment

Hmmm...this is sort of a test of who's been paying attention these past months...I vote for Hungary.

Comment

>Hmmm...this is sort of a test of who's been paying attention these past
                              >months...I vote for Hungary.

I win:

Re: Top Budapest Horror Story
                              posted by: Pego Posted Tuesday, Mar 9, 2004 at 3:13 PM
                              Tue, Mar 9, 2004 at 3:13:53 PM PST
                              How sad! Hungary used to be a visitor's paradise. While living in Slovakia, we went there a lot and it was safe and fun. The best food and wine.

But 2 points to marknhj for remembering he visited Hungary. And gh, when he was there, Czechoslovakia would have been the right answer.

Comment

Working...
                              X