Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Marion is guilty how will affect the sport?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Marion is guilty how will affect the sport?

I would love to hear what you all think would be the ramifications for track and field if a big name athlete like Marion is shown to have cheated?
    I imagine everyone here loves the sport as I do.
    I think the general public will be quite turned off and the ripple effect could be significant. Fairly or not I think many parents will steer their kids away from the sport.
    I know I will always be a die hard fan but my enthusiasm would always be tinged with a bit of cynicism.
    Drugs don't make the entire athlete- skill, talent and damn hard work will always be required. I just hate the thought of people deliberately cheating and lying. It's all very sad, whether someone like MJ is involved or not.

Re: If Marion is guilty how will affect the sport?

I-F she is guilty, we will all lose a LOT of steam as T&F fans. The public will say, 'yeah, I knew it all along,' and we will be set back another 40 years behind the other second-tier sports we compete with in the public eye. The Olympics will be a laughing stock, because we will assume everyone else is guilty. This is all because she really does represent all that is good in T&F right now. I am literally praying this is not the case.

Comment

>I would love to hear what you all think would be the ramifications for track
      >and field if a big name athlete like Marion is shown to have cheated?
      I
      >imagine everyone here loves the sport as I do.
      I think the general public
      >will be quite turned off and the ripple effect could be significant.>>

They'll be some effect but probably not as much as your reading into it. The biggest factor is TV. If the TV gods decide there is no star power in the sport for the Americans we may see less Track and Field than we'd like from Athens. This is particularly true if there are American medal possibilities in other sports.

Fairly or
      >not I think many parents will steer their kids away from the sport. >>

I sincerely doubt this.

I know I
      >will always be a die hard fan but my enthusiasm would always be tinged with a
      >bit of cynicism. >>

I resolved this a long time ago. It's part of the sporting world....all of the sporting world.

Comment

The public knows Bonds [among others] has cheated . They are not even insisting MLB change.

The sad thing is that Marion would have been a champion,playing it straight. If she took anything, it was prob. to shortcut recovery. She is superior to everybody else. It didn't have to happen. And the public will view this as something she got caught up in: a product of her time.

Comment

In the wake of all this could Marion opt to represent her mothers homeland BELIZE in the next World Championship? What is the liklihood of such a scenario unfolding? How many years would she have to wait assuming she emerges unscathed from the current proceedings (ie no Olympics but no two year ban)

Comment

She'd have to wait 3 years if the IAAF approved the change. No way USATF allows her to compete without sitting out for that time.

Comment

>She'd have to wait 3 years if the IAAF approved the change.<

Yes, but I think the three years runs from the time she last represented the USA in international competition, which was World Cup 2002. That means she could compete for Belize (assuming she has dual citizenship) after 2005. I guess there's another assumption we'd have to make, which is that Belize would want her representing them if she had been found to have committed a doping offense.

Comment

>I-F she is guilty, we will all lose a LOT of steam as T&F fans. The public will
                >say, 'yeah, I knew it all along,' and we will be set back another 40 years

In terms of the number of T&F fans, to be set back 40 years - to 1964 - would be great!

Comment

There would be both good and bad.

Good, because it would send a message to our youth that cheating is against the rules and no matter how big you are, that if you cheat, you lose.

Bad because it would cause a lot of folks who fell in love with Marion and her smile to want to shy away from the sport. It would be like falling out of love.
                  "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

"In terms of the number of T&F fans, to be set back 40 years - to 1964 - would be great!"

But look where the NFL and NBA have come in the meantime. To make zero progress in 40 years would be very sad.

Comment

I don't know if the NFL and NBA can be used for comparisons. I used to be a big fan of both leagues, but lately I don't even care once my favorite team is eliminated. I like my teams, but not the sports. Too much greed and me-me-me. Drugs, arrogance, and self-promotion.

Not my style. I'd rather watch T&F, tennis, or just read a book.

The problem that this sport has is that if the scandal takes out a large swath of high profile stars in the U.S., we don't know whether or not the public will turn away. Will they be happy because cheating has been punished, or will they be mad because we maybe don't medal at the Olympics in some events we are always expected to do well in?

If this is a one trick pony and for just a moment in time the enforcers can catch the cheats, but not next year; then nothing of real sustance has been gained other than demonstrating the potential punitive consequences of cheating.

In other words, if people have no confidence that we can curb cheating, the sport is devalued into an "entertainment" rather than a quest for excellence. If the vast public at large views all the records being set as artificially derived, then track and field might as well hire the best circus promoters, because the sport as a pure form of athletics will be in the morgue.

I'm just so angry at the cheaters right now. They want to be rich and famous, and if the sport gets buried in the process, no problem. They'll still be rich and living the high life, and as usual the little guy will get the shaft.

Comment

I agree with much of what you say ycn. I am not American but Canadian.
                        Not that that has much to do with all this!
                        I feel that cheating is just so wrong- and it makes me feel sick to think that these people don't care that all the people who cheer them on, become their fans, are being lied to. As long as they win and make money that's all that matters.
                        Like I have said before I can not wait until this thing with MJ is resolved one way or the other!

Comment

Working...
                        X