X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International community supports US efforts

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... ry/Sports/

Re: International community supports US efforts

of course they do - in the USA - their own country is a different matter.

Comment

>of course they do - in the USA - their own country is a different matter.

Don't lump Canada in there.

Comment

>of course they do - in the USA - their own country is a different matter.>>>

Hey tafnut, that's the second somewhat jingoistic post you've made in 24 hours. The US has a bad rap overseas for a reason, they've consistently covered up, stalled, not reported positives and so on. Don't lump in the Brits either, we've been banning people for years.

Comment

you're both right - I was thinking of a couple of places in particular (that don't speak English), but don't want to get yanked. My jingoism stems from travels in Europe, where a vast majority of people seemed very interested in the USA being brought down a notch or two. I saw where the USOC is advising our athletes NOT to wave the flag in victory??!! So that's what it's come to? I like to see ALL athletes celebrate their nations, and the US Naval Officer (20 years) in me especially likes it when it's the Stars & Stripes. But I do take your point and will try to blunt my zealous nationalism (not to get a furor started, but I do NOT believe in 'my country right or wrong' - wrong is always wrong, and Bush pleases me not, right now).

Comment

Nice post tafnut, thanks. As Euro who's lived here for almost 20 years I do see both sides of the fence. Count yourself lucky, you'll see a damn site more Stars & Stripes in Athens (at least at the medal ceremonies) than Union Jacks!

Comment

I do see
              >both sides of the fence.

As do I since I am down there 9 or 10 weeks a year.

Comment

A question for our international visitors - what is your country doing toward the anti-doping effort? We see what us anti-doping is doing and I am sure we are doing more to fight doping than any other country. We know other countries are cheating, and it seems are getting away with it

Comment

>A question for our international visitors - what is your country doing toward
                  >the anti-doping effort? We see what us anti-doping is doing and I am sure we
                  >are doing more to fight doping than any other country. We know other countries
                  >are cheating, and it seems are getting away with it

Maybe you should review what Canada did 16 years ago. It's about time the US got with the program.

Comment

>are doing more to fight doping than any other country.

Puh-leeze... I'm not saying some countries aren't worse than the US, but comparing America to, say, Scandinavian countries or Germany is like comparing someone who was 500 lbs., started losing weight and got it down to 300 lbs with a person who has stayed at 150 lbs all along. The former case may be more spectacular and a better story for the media, but should we really applaud that person more?
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>are doing more to fight doping than any other country. We know other countries
                      >are cheating, and it seems are getting away with it
                      >>>>>

I'm sorry WCTF but documented history is not on your side. The US has a terrible record of cover ups, far worse than most countries. And, remember we wouldn't even be aware of THG if the mystery coach hadn't sent in the syringe. The US is now getting its act together after decades of being among the worst offenders.

Comment

>

Puh-leeze... I'm not saying some countries aren't worse than the US, but
                        >comparing America to, say, Scandinavian countries or Germany is like comparing
                        >someone who was 500 lbs., started losing weight and got it down to 300 lbs with
                        >a person who has stayed at 150 lbs all along. The former case may be more
                        >spectacular and a better story for the media, but should we really applaud that
                        >person more?

Wait a minute.. EXCUSE ME?? _Germany_ 150 lbs all along? a really bad choice of countries there, sir.

Comment

To make it clear: by 'all along' I meant the last 10 years or so. If we're talking about pre-random testing days, all countries were just about equally bad.
                          Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

>To make it clear: by 'all along' I meant the last 10 years or so. If we're
                            >talking about pre-random testing days, all countries were just about equally
                            >bad.

where was the US's government funded doping machine, pulling the kids out of grade school to begin their 'program'?

Comment

Here is one inetrnational type that says that the yanks are going too far. You just can't win with some people:

"But when Jones, through her lawyer, argues that there's nothing to stop her from competing in the Athens Olympics in the summer, she's right. Unless she chooses the confessional route, or someone produces irrefutable evidence that a certain drug was in her system on a certain day in violation of the rules of her sport, she must be considered innocent, if not entirely clean."

And here is a piece on Charlie from the same paper:

"Johnson was stripped of his honours, and Francis was barred from coaching Canadian athletes in nationally funded programs.

However, athletes have been able as individuals to hire his services or seek his advice via his World Wide Web site. Montgomery and Jones came to him late in 2002 after the World Record Project group had broken up."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... orts/Other

And while I was on their website:

"Because Jeanson is racing with a U.S. licence, the International Cycling Union has turned over the case to the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ ... orts/Other

"Alpine skiing star Lasse Kjus pledged to defy new doping rules requiring athletes to keep authorities posted of their whereabouts, Norway's biggest newspaper reported Thursday."

Comment

Working...
                              X