Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why did Marion Jones cheat?

My reply is to Mel..

I dont see how you can say the GDR were the catalyst for more countries to use steroids, there's no evidence in that argument at all.

Steroids were being used freely in the 50's, 60's and 70's by all nations, not just the GDR. The 'fact' that the GDR had 'state sponsored' cheating is not the main issue. That is a crude deconstruction in my view.

On the subject of Jones, if you grow up in a culture of drug taking that you're likley to take drugs. Korchemny's team weredoing it, so were/are many, many other track teams, we all know this is happening. Just because she appears to be more talented then some doesnt mean she wont cheat!
    "If Gaby worked as hard with the weights as she did with her tongue she'd have a different concept of beauty. To get performances like mine, she'd have to sacrifice some of her good looks. The women of the west dont work as hard as we do" JK

Comment

"I dont see how you can say the GDR were the catalyst for more countries to use steroids, there's no evidence in that argument at all."

I said the GDR was a catalyst for more athletes, not countries, to use steroids. Everyone knew what the East Germans were doing, practically everyone, no big leap to get from there to understanding why they would respond in kind. The DDR WAS the first big state machine to roll over everyone at the Olympics and produce multiple world record holders in track and swimming, particularly among women. Swimmers and track athletes alike were not stupid, it didn't take them too long to figure out what was going on. This is rocket science?

Comment

The title of your thread is bull in its purest sense. You have indicted this woman as a cheater without enough evidence to support such claim. This is cruel.

Comment

What about FloJo's mercurial 21.34 200M? That level will not be approached until the 22nd century! If the IAAF had any guts it would strike all women's records (WR) from the books from 100M to 800M, both relay records and all questionable field event records set in the 80's. Chinese distance records, also

Comment

Obviously, some of these records are simply a joke. But since when is "questionable" equal to "guilty"?

Comment

>What about FloJo's mercurial 21.34 200M? That level will not be approached
              >until the 22nd century! If the IAAF had any guts it would strike all women's
              >records (WR) from the books from 100M to 800M, both relay records and all
              >questionable field event records set in the 80's. Chinese distance records,
              >also

hahahahahahaha

(i have no actual response to this post other than that)

Comment

It is simple why an athlete cheats - greed and the unwillingness to train and rest properly.

Comment

>What about FloJo's mercurial 21.34 200M? That level will not be approached
                  >until the 22nd century! If the IAAF had any guts it would strike all women's
                  >records (WR) from the books from 100M to 800M, both relay records and all
                  >questionable field event records set in the 80's. Chinese distance records,
                  >also

So I see you have a problem with her records. Well, since there is no positive tests on her, we'll all just have to swallow it as legitimate. At the end of the day, no human woman has moved through 100 meters faster - PERIOD. She was the greatest of all time.

Comment

So I see you have a problem with her records. Well, since
                    >there is no positive tests on her, we'll all just have to swallow it as
                    >legitimate. At the end of the day, no human woman has moved through 100 meters
                    >faster - PERIOD. She was the greatest of all time.>>>>

You should start a club or something, you could probably find at least 3-4 people in the global T&F community who agree with you.

Comment

"It is simple why an athlete cheats - greed and the unwillingness to train and rest properly. "

This is untrue. Very untrue. The reason you take steriods is so that you can train like a racehorse. It's not a magic potion that you take at a track meet. You take it to train like a mad man (or mad woman), therefore you have taken your body beyond it's natural limits.

Make sense?

Comment

Marion Jones cheated...plain and simple. When you have the best pharmacist(s), yep that's right, to mask your drug intakes, political influences of being America's 'golden girl' of track and field, and endorsers to give you madd help....she will STILL be found innocent! Yeah, that's just the ball bounces in the court of our beloved country, America.

Comment

>Everyone
                          >knew what the East Germans were doing, practically everyone, no big leap to get
                          >from there to understanding why they would respond in kind. The DDR WAS the
                          >first big state machine to roll over everyone at the Olympics and produce
                          >multiple world record holders in track and swimming, particularly among women.
                          >Swimmers and track athletes alike were not stupid, it didn't take them too
                          >long to figure out what was going on. This is rocket science?

Well said.

I find it pitiful when people view the East Germans as being 'innocent' because "they didn't know what the state was doing to them". These people need to get friggin real!

Comment

I am not here to defend or bash Marion but the truth is that we have no idea yet if she cheated. My hunch is that she paid for drugs for her boyfriend. Should she be suspended for that? I think so but we have to wait and see. I think USADA is been very careful in her case......

Comment

<Marion Jones cheated...plain and simple. When you have the best pharmacist(s), yep that's right, to mask your drug intakes, political influences of being America's 'golden girl' of track and field, and endorsers to give you madd help....she will STILL be found innocent! Yeah, that's just the ball bounces in the court of our beloved country, America.>

I'm all for aggressively pursueing cheaters to the full extent of the rules, but if you have such incontravertable proof MJ cheated, why haven't you passed this on to USADA? It would certainly make this whole current process a lot quicker and straightforward.

Comment

I find it pitiful when people view the East
                                >Germans as being 'innocent' because "they didn't know what the state was doing
                                >to them". These people need to get friggin real!

certainly i'd bet during the early years of the programs, and especially the adolescents they pulled into the programs.. had no idea what was going on. keep in mind east germany was an extremely sheltered country and it's not like they were watching 60 minutes at night or reading up on steroid exposés. it's clear from paperwork that the athletes at the highest levels knew what was going on after a certain point (koch, gohr, etc.) but i'd bet even they at first trusted what was being told to them.

i haven't personally read 'faust's gold' yet, but from what I've heard from others, it says what was really going on was not exactly shared openly with the athletes.

Comment

Working...
                                X