Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Safe Assumption

Victor Conte (Or Victor Cunte, as I affectionately call him) used to post rather frequently in the usenet newsgroup misc.fitness.weights, in which he would boast of the accomplishments of members of the "ZMA Track Club" all of whom were allegedly running/jumping/throwing faster and farther than ever as a result of ingesting Victor's Wonderglop, ZMA (a zinc and magnesium supplement).

For example, a few years ago, Victor wrote:

"There will be a feature article about my work with Marion Jones in the
    next issue of FLEX magazine including photos of Marion and myself. The
    article also has extensive information about the ZMA Track Club and it's
    members. I am sure that Marion as well as the other members of the ZMA TC
    will enjoy reading it. I'm sure,
    you will too. P.S. There will also be second feature about my work
    Marion and the ZMA Track Club in the next issue of Muscle and Fitness
    magazine."

I would be extremely NON-surprised if _everybody_ whom Victor claims was setting PRs and WRs as a result of his Magic ZMA was, in fact, on THG and prolly other banned substances as well.

Anyone who wants to find out who some of these people are need only do a google groups search for "Conte Track ZMA" or whatever...Very int-e-resting...

Re: A Safe Assumption

what exactly is the research behind zinc and magnesium helping performance? isnt there plenty of it in most multivitamins?

Comment

I don't know if it's already done or it's an idea: why doesn't Masback hire an ex-fbi agent or somebody with similar credentials to check out the activities of the top people [like Marion and Monty] and report back to USAT&f, so they can be told to stop hanging around with the Conte's of the sports world.
      Does not the NFL and MLB have people in the know concerning which of its athletes, associate with gaming interets?

Comment

>I don't know if it's already done or it's an idea: why doesn't Masback hire
        >re an ex-fbi agent or somebody with similar credentials to check out the
        >activities of the top people [like Marion and Monty] and report back to USAT&f,
        >so they can be told to stop hanging around with the Conte's of the sports
        >world.

That's called spying and the governing body has no ethical foundation to go snooping into people's private lives.

Comment

>>what exactly is the research behind zinc and magnesium helping performance? isnt there plenty of it in most multivitamins?<<

Most multis do not contain large amounts of either zinc or magnesium.

The average unsupplemented diet contains sub-optimal amounts of both of these nutrients for strength/performance/recovery.

Zinc and magnesium supplementation is a good idea for athletes. Conte, however, was using ZMA as both a cover for his drugged athletes' performances, and also using his drugged athletes to fraudulently attract clueless trainees to his ZMA...

Clever, evil, guy.

Comment

<Zinc and magnesium supplementation is a good idea for athletes.>

Why?
            "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
            by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

<Zinc and magnesium supplementation is a good idea for athletes.>

Why?<<

See above. For more info, google zinc or magnesium supplementation & strength/testosterone etc.

Comment

This is the link that I think you are referring to: http://www.newhope.com/nutritionscience ... 01/zma.cfm

There is a lot of question marks, in the mechanism of action, benefits and side-effects, even in this clearly "pro-supplements" biased publication.
                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Note a couple of the references on the bottom:

"6. Brilla LR, Conte V. A novel zinc and magnesium formulation (ZMA) increases anabolic hormones and strength in athletes. Sports Med Train Rehab. (In Press) Abstract presented Nov. 14, 1998, at the Annual Meeting of the Southwest Chapter of the American College of Sports Medicine.

7. Brilla LR, Conte V. Effects of zinc-magnesium formulation increases anabolic hormones and strength in athletes. Med Sci Sports Exer 1999;31(5):483."

Too funny.

Comment

Thanks, MJD. I missed that. LOL!!!
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

No, I'm not refering to any studies Cunte had anything to do with. Cunte merely capitalized on the fact that 1) Many athletes have sub-optimal zinc and magnesium intakes & 2) For these athletes, supplementation will have a positive effect on performance, and OH, look at how fast my sprinters, who take my Z&M supplement are running! WOW!

Cunte comes from the world of bodybuilding, where this sort of thing is common---just look at FLEX or any similar zine. He merely brought these marketing games to track, where they are far less frequently used...

Comment

Working...
                      X