Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which are the "drugged" countries

Analysis of the IAAF Listing of

Athletes currently suspended from all competitions in athletics following an Anti-Doping Rule Violation as at: 4.7.13

272 - Total number of athletes suspended
    055 - Number of countries with 1 or more athletes currently suspended

46 - India
    43 - Russia
    14 - Kenya
    13 - USA
    9 - South Africa
    9 - Malaysia
    8 - Brazil
    8 - France
    8 - Turkey
    6- Greece
    6 - Saudi Arabia
    5 - Morocco
    5 - Nigeria
    4 - Great Britain
    4 - China
    1 - Germany
    1 - Jamaica
    0 - Australia
    0 - New Zealand

Re: Which are the "drugged" countries

However, Turkey has about 30 pending...

Comment

Looking at the U.S. list, it's not exclusively a list of athletes, active athletes or elite athletes.

Of the 13 U.S. names on the list, the first is not an athlete at all, but agent Mark Block (who still seems to find his way into meets).

The second U.S. name on the list is Shawn Crawford for failure to report whereabouts to testers, which I believe has been established as a case of not turning in proper paperwork to remove himself from the anti-doping program upon retirement.

Jerome Young's lifetime ban dates back to 2004.

Athletes listed from the U.S. include Raymond Stewart (like Block, for administration offenses). Is he really one of ours?

Four of the U.S. athletes listed are Masters, ages 53, 63, 64 and 68, and two of those according to USATF are for failure to get TUEs for prescribed meds. One is for "refusal" to comply with testers at the Masters National Championships. One is for modafinil and steroids.

Sprinter Trey Downing was also popped for "refusal."

The only distance runner on the list, Christian Hesch, 34, was earning nice paydays as a regional sub-elite road racer at the time of his suspension for EPO.

There is only one thrower on the list -- hammer thrower Matthew Di Buono ("steroids").

The two names that really stand out are Debbie Dunn ("steroids") and Crystal Cox ("prohibited substances").

Comment

heavy excuse making... so your athletes are as clean as a whistle. and always have been :lol:

Comment

Given how many top track and field athletes the US has and to have only three of them on bans is for of UK-like, right? Of course, there is the as-yet-unverified assertion that a major US (sprinter?) has run afoul of doping rules.

Comment

Originally posted by lionelp1
            heavy excuse making... so your athletes are as clean as a whistle. and always have been :lol:
            Not my intention at all. I don't think I make any excuses. It's a simple, maybe simplistic, analysis of the U.S. names on the list.

I looked at the Americans because, you know, I'm American, and I don't have all night to look into the histories of every other country's Rogue's Gallery.
            With the exception of Crawford and a couple of the Masters cases, with which I'm vaguely familiar, I'm not aware of any mitigating arguments in any of the U.S. suspensions or bans.

I'd love to see a breakdown of some of the other nations on the list.

Not to diminish damage done by the true cheaters at any level -- but so many of the U.S. names on the list have little relevance to the current world of T&F that we all talk about here (because they're retired, age-groupers or people you never would have heard of in the first place), I wonder if that holds true to scale for most of the other countries.

Comment

Is there a link to this list? I can't find it on the iaaf site.

Comment

http://www.iaaf.org/download/download?f ... AF%20Rules

Comment

To my knowledge the UK's are

2 17m shot putters who refused to take tests because the toilets were dirty :roll:
                  1 incredibly mediocre sprinter who had an ok indoor season before she got caught
                  1 young hurdler who tested positive for Clembuterol while on a UKA training camp in SA. The whole group came down with food poisoning which nobody investigated and he was the only one tested. He swears blind the 2 are connected !!
                  i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by mump boy
                    1 incredibly mediocre sprinter who had an ok indoor season before she got caught
                    It's actually embarrassing that she was drugged up and STILL was distinctly average :roll: :lol:

Comment

Callum Priestly's ban must be well over by now. It happened in Jan 2010. I have no idea who else it could be though :?

Comment

An interesting list. I think the UK, Jamaica and the USA would shoot up if we looked at Athletes not currently banned with doping violations.

Of course such lists don't give the full story, we know Spain are destroying evidence of their athletics team being doped disgustingly. Also the USA have had 2 of the biggest cover-ups and so you have to wonder if there are others. Turkey also are about to have virtually all their athletes suspended.

How accurate is that list anyway? Jamaica currently have Mullins and Blaze suspended and 2 from last year. And course a likely suspension for VCB. Also our Belarus shot putter from last year isn't listed unless I'm mistaken?

I am surprised France is up there. You never head of either suspicious athletes or doping failures and they have as hard line as anybody.

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy
                          Callum Priestly's ban must be well over by now. It happened in Jan 2010. I have no idea who else it could be though :?
                          According to UKAD...

Bernice Wilson, Paul Edwards, Mark Edwards, Carl Fletcher and Ian Burns are serving some sort of violation currently. Some are finishing this year but I had to look up a couple as their performances were so poor :shock:

http://www.ukad.org.uk/anti-doping-rule ... ons/search

Comment

I agree with eldanielfire in that the list does not come close to telling the whole story. I believe it only lists those who are currently serving IAAF confirmed sentences. So no VCB, no Ostapchuk among quite a few others I imagine.

It would be interesting to find a list of all athletes who have been banned at one time or other. It would be even more interesting to have a list that included those whose failed drug tests were covered up by the national body.

Comment

A list like that only gives a rough idea of which countries might be the most "drugged". The state of development, the efficiency, and the trustworthiness of the national anti-doping agency/program in a particular country plays a roll in determining the amount of PED usage and the amount of athletes that are caught from that country as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X