X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Ato: Impact of Tyson, Asafa Positive Tests on others '

http://olympictalk.nbcsports.com/2013/0 ... sain-bolt/

I had people asking me today, “How come Usain Bolt‘s not testing positive if all these other Jamaicans are?”
    Wait a minute. They may run for the same country, but they’re not all sleeping in the same bed. Bolt and Powell obviously come from rival camps, Racers and MVP.
    Bolt has never had anything remotely around him in either his junior or senior career indicating something like this. It’s not exactly fair to him to say, well, look at all these Jamaicans.
    You can’t blame Bolt for something Powell does any more than you could have blamed Gay when Justin Gatlin tested positive in 2006.
    I was in the sport at the time of BALCO, and I can name three or four guys who lined up with me on a weekly basis, who I considered my peers, who were very much involved in BALCO. Does that mean I was involved in BALCO? No.

Re: 'Ato: Impact of Tyson, Asafa Positive Tests on others '

Usually cant copy and past the whole article into your post....

But even though they may get 6 months, they are pretty much done. The hype these past few days (month for VCB) has ruined their reputation. Depending on how their stories unfold, it would be pretty rough for many to be accepting of their return.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK

But even though they may get 6 months, they are pretty much done. The hype these past few days (month for VCB) has ruined their reputation. Depending on how their stories unfold, it would be pretty rough for many to be accepting of their return.
      It took Gatlin two years to be invited again in the
      Diamond league meets and when he came back in 2010 he was 28. Next year VCB, gay and powell will all be 32 and by the next global meet 33 so on that sense at the very end of their career for sprinters. Btw govern interesting take on the issue by Boldon.

Comment

And I co-sign with a lot or all of what Atto has stated. Just makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by ATK

Thanks for informing me. It has since been edited.

Comment

I see no reason why athletes should be allowed to use stuff that is not legal, whether it is contained in a supplement or not. There is no justification for this. The keeping up with the Jones mentality and the desire to extend one's career is not a justification for taking an edge. It is understandable, but still indefensible.
            "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Perspective is important. VCB, Asafa and Tyson Gay should not be receiving equal sanctions.

Asafa tested positive for a stimulant.
              VCB is for a diuretic.
              Tyson Gay is not as stimulant, because stimulants are not illegal out-of-competition.

I do wish we knew what Tyson's substance is, but all things in time.
              Regards,
              toyracer

Comment

Originally posted by mrbowie
                I see no reason why athletes should be allowed to use stuff that is not legal, whether it is contained in a supplement or not. There is no justification for this. The keeping up with the Jones mentality and the desire to extend one's career is not a justification for taking an edge. It is understandable, but still indefensible.
                Being illegal and being against WADA rules are entirely different things.

Stimulants are not illegal in New Zealand and presumably in most of not all countries.

I find it rather stupid that WADA allows the use of stimulants outside of competition but against the rules inside of the competition time-frame. I believe it should be within the rules all of the time or against the rules all of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by betterthanb4
                  Originally posted by ATK

Thanks for informing me. It has since been edited.
                  And subsequently slashed mightily by the mods. The "fair-use" theory of copyright law allows you to use a small excerpt. That plus the URL is what's acceptable.

Comment

Originally posted by tm71
                    Originally posted by ATK

Diamond league meets and when he came back in 2010 he was 28. Next year VCB, gay and powell will all be 32 and by the next global meet 33 so on that sense at the very end of their career for sprinters. Btw govern interesting take on the issue by Boldon.
                    Before her bust VCB indicated she would go on like Marleen Ottey, her hero, until old age.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki
                      Originally posted by mrbowie
                      Being illegal and being against WADA rules are entirely different things.

Stimulants are not illegal in New Zealand and presumably in most of not all countries.

I find it rather stupid that WADA allows the use of stimulants outside of competition but against the rules inside of the competition time-frame. I believe it should be within the rules all of the time or against the rules all of the time.
                      usual crap we see from governing bodies. they should have a uniform policy or none at all.

Comment

I still think something is VERY ODD!
                        One big fish (VCB) goes down and all of a sudden, a s#!+load of them go down...
                        Have we been too naive? Or is it coincidence?

Comment

Originally posted by eldanielfire
                          Originally posted by tm71
                          Originally posted by ATK

Before her bust VCB indicated she would go on like Marleen Ottey, her hero, until old age.
                          Maybe she'll get off on an egregious technicality as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Megas15
                            Have we been too naive? Or is it coincidence?
                            Or is it that not a ton of testing was done in the Olympic buildup?

Anyone claiming naivity at this point is really claiming willful ignorance or stupidity. Time to get over the "she/he seems like a great gal/guy - I can't believe they would cheat" absurdity. People re complex, good folks do bad things, bad folks do good things, etc.

Comment

Asafa and sherone may also have been poorly advised by Paul Doyle, their manager, who seems to have been in conflict with Stephen Francis. Cue an I-told-you-so article with Francis, who's quick to point out that the X-man is not an MVP employee, but personally employed by Doyle to work with Powell and Simpson:

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2013 ... orts2.html
                              My heart is still in the Caribbean....

Comment

Working...
                              X