• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plea Bargain Imminent For Conte?

Maybe even tomorrow?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2004-06- ... plea_x.htm

Re: Plea Bargain Imminent For Conte?

"An athlete who goes to court in the U.S.? Who cares? We'll stop her,"

That quote is for those that think that a lawsuit actually means anything to non Americans.

There must be a few people sweating now if this is true-at least sweating more than they were. Now, of course, there are those that think that since he is just a snitch, he should have no cred but whatever...

Comment

more bad news.. the honeymoon is over my friends.

i wonder if those 27 listed are the whole shebang.

Comment

STarting today?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... 6VUJ01.DTL

Comment

Let me get it straight! A word of a snake oil salesman could sink athletes such as Marion Jones or Michelle Collins without any other supporting evidence? It sounds incredulous to me.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

A word of a snake oil salesman could sink athletes such
            >as Marion Jones or Michelle Collins without any other supporting evidence?

Of course not. It's the suspenders and belt approach.

Comment

Actually the approach her lawyers would probably take is to threaten damages and attack the payments that NBC is scheduled make to the IOC. There's always a question of jurisdiction but the money for U.S. rights would probably be reachable. A Billion plus dollars is a huge target.

Comment

"Actually the approach her lawyers would probably take is to threaten damages and attack the payments that NBC is scheduled make to the IOC. There's always a question of jurisdiction but the money for U.S. rights would probably be reachable. A Billion plus dollars is a huge target."

Obviously my lack of legal training is evident here, because I just do not get what you are suggesting. What is the connection between drug accusations towards Michelle Collins by USADA and broadcast agreements between NBC and the IOC? Granted, drug scandels on the USAnian team would possibly negatively impact NBC ratings, but there is no formal connections between the two relationships that I can determine.

Please tell me you aren't suggesting someone (USADA? IOC? NBC?) is going to be paying out a billion bucks to someone possibly accused of cheating.

Comment

I think what he is saying is that since the money is in the US, that it can be accessed if they win some kind of suit against the IOC. I am not in any way agreeing with any of that-just trying to explain what he is saying.

Comment

>I think what he is saying is that since the money is in the US, that it can be
                    >accessed if they win some kind of suit against the IOC.

I'd like to see anyone try and sneak that one past a USAnian court. If the money is in the US, then it is still in the possession of NBC, by no means a party to any of this, who has yet to give it to the IOC, who will then deposit it in their bank. Does the IOC maintain their bank accounts in the US or just down the street in Lausanne?

Comment

>>I think what he is saying is that since the money is in the US, that it can
                      >be
                      >accessed if they win some kind of suit against the IOC.

I'd like to
                      >see anyone try and sneak that one past a USAnian court. If the money is in the
                      >US, then it is still in the possession of NBC, by no means a party to any of
                      >this, who has yet to give it to the IOC, who will then deposit it in their
                      >bank. Does the IOC maintain their bank accounts in the US or just down the
                      >street in Lausanne?

I wasn't saying that they could succeed. BUT, I think it would be something like a Garnishing or a Lien. "IF" the U.S. court says/thinks that it has jurisdiction in the matter and it was afraid that whatever party outside of it's border was a threat not to pay if it lost the judgment. They could try to attack any assets held within the U.S. Any unmade payments by NBC could be such an asset. I'm not a lawyer and this pure conjecture but it seems to be a way that they could proceed with a damages/restraint of trade lawsuit.

There are a whole lot of big "IF"s along the way. Everything from proving jurisdiction to proving damages. Which I think would be impossible to do if they have evidence of doping. But if they ever went after someone who could prove they were innocent? Well.....

Comment

How different is what you are suggesting from what Butch Reynolds already tried?

Comment

>How different is what you are suggesting from what Butch Reynolds already tried?<

It's fundamentally different in that he was stating, as a given assumption, that the US court had jurisdiction in the underlying lawsuit, whereas in the Reynolds case, it was ultimately decided that the court did not.

Comment

<It's fundamentally different in that he was stating, as a given assumption, that the US court had jurisdiction in the underlying lawsuit, whereas in the Reynolds case, it was ultimately decided that the court did not.>

But what is the validity of the given assumption? Hasn't the question of US court jurisdiction already been answered in the Reynolds case? (If I recall correctly, a lower level court thought they did, but that a higher level, maybe Superior court, ruled they didn't.)

Comment

>>Hasn't the question of US court jurisdiction already been answered in the Reynolds case?<<

No. I believe the Reynolds decision was based solely on the issue of whether that particular Federal district court had jurisdiction over the IAAF.

Comment

Working...
                              X