Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Those Keeping Score At Home

The "list" Conte was alleged to have provided an IRS agent with contained 12 US track and field athletes.

Current Status
    Kevin Toth, John McEwen - 2 year THG bans
    Regina Jacobs - 2 year THG ban in arbitration
    Kelli White - turned states evidence 2 year ban
    Tim Montgomery, Chryste Gaines, Michelle Collins, Alvin Harrison - Currently charged by USADA

That leaves
    Calvin Harrison, Eric Thomas, Ramon Clay and Marion Jones
    Ultimately the plea bargain with Conte may come down to how much the government is willing to give Conte to make sure and ban the remaining four and also gain some assorted info on baseball and football. We all know which name on that list really matters. Could be interesting

Re: For Those Keeping Score At Home

You're missing a few names. I won't name any because I don't know what's going to happen. But there are a few more.

Comment

Not to mention that USADA, to the horror of the baseball players union, swooped in and grabbed the samples of a bunch of the players, some of the ones that the union claimed "only" had 5-7 percent positives for steroids.

The union had stated that those results were private and non-disclosable, but a judge disagreed and granted the search and seizure warrant, while baseball sat on their asses without bothering to dispose of the samples, which they had every right to do.

Don't think for a moment we won't hear lots more about that...

Comment

I do not think USADA swooped in for the baseball samples ... I do not think they do testing for the pros.

Comment

>I do not think USADA swooped in for the baseball samples ... I do not think
          >they do testing for the pros.

It sounds as though you've just got back from a deserted island with your iPod? Or maybe you just don't read the newspapers?

A year ago, during the off-season, MLB tested its players for steroids. As part of the agreement, if the results showed more than five percent positive, the players union would agree to testing in the future. In the Spring of last year MLB reported the results, that "5-7 percent" tested positive, thus requiring players to be subject to future testing.

You might find the result "5-7 percent" to be strange, especially since MLB keeps all manner of arcane stats down to the thousandths of a percentage point. It's really quite simple to explain. Under the rules of the testing procedure anyone refusing to be tested would be counted as a "positive." Quite a few of the players were so fed up with how dirty their sport was, they deliberately refused the tests in order to "game" the results, thus forcing the MLB to clean up its act.

Comment

>I do not think USADA swooped in for the baseball samples ... I do not think
            >they do testing for the pros.

----
            After the U.S. Senate turned over information to USADA from their Balco investigation, USADA contacted several federal agencies, and the IRS obtained a search warrant and seized around 500 test samples from the MLB drug testing that had not been destroyed. This was on April 8 this year. The IRS seized the results from somewhere between 250-500 players.

No, the USADA doesn't do any testing. But they do have testing done by others for them. The fact that the IRS obtained a warrant for seizure gives evidence that this is a lot wider than simply "cheating" in sports.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1779294

Comment

You need to re-read the story ... USADA does not test or handle anything to do with MLB drug testing. They have too much to lose in working with baseball or getting involved with them.

Comment

"they deliberately refused the tests in order to "game" the results, thus forcing the MLB to clean up its act."

now that's the kind of 'cheating' I like. If you don't play at all, you 'win'.

Comment

>You're missing a few names. I won't name any because I don't know what's going
                  >to happen. But there are a few more.

http://www.sptimes.com/2004/04/26/Sport ... nder.shtml

Comment

The rationale behind this was that refusal to take a test would be considered tantamount to failing the test. That way, the clean athletes would ensure that the numbers were higher than MLB wanted them to be, and they would almost ensure that regualr testing would be enacted.

Got love them!

Comment

USADA only tests Olympic Sports that don't have leagues. No NFL, No MLB, No NBA.

Comment

> http://www.sptimes.com/2004/04/26/Sport ... nder.shtml

has the dreaded name in there, but I have to wonder if it wasn't on behalf of her ex.

Comment

Working...
                        X