Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I Support Marion Jones

Few things boil my blood like watching the mentality and actions of a mob. I’m not just talking about the lynch mobs, the burn-at-the-stake mobs, the tar-and-feather mobs, but also the character assassination mobs that know little, but nevertheless go along with consensus in the systematic demolition of a person’s character. Throughout history, right up to the present, we have seen this phenomenon repeated endlessly, yet mobs never learn. Learning is for those who think and mobs don’t think. Mobs don’t question. Mobs do not sift through all evidence presented and deliberate in their own mind, independent of the injection of the thoughts and opinions of others.

Several days ago, I caught a glimpse of an Oprah show in which she demonstrated how wrong eyewitnesses can be and even descending into more inaccuracy when others suggest non-existent details of a suspect.

Such is the case with Marion Jones. Much of what I have seen posted on these boards about Marion Jones exhibits little thought and personal investigation. There is much concurrence with the collective mentality of a lynch mob itching to tear into the fleshy substance of Marion's character and reputation. Reason and hard facts be damned. Stated rules and regulations have been rendered moot. The excitement of the mob, the smell of blood intoxicates and blinds. Marion Jones has not been charged with anything - period. She is unquestionably one of the greatest female athletes that has ever walked the planet. Why is there so much glee in the air at the spectacle of Marion's demise? Something in the air smells so foul as to compromise the olfactory.

There is also something extremely unfair about the way certain governing bodies do business with respect to these athletes. All these investigations and suspicions are made public, such that even if cleared, the investigated athlete is indelibly tattooed. People will subsequently look askance at any future performances of such athlete with furrowed brow. How gross. How absolutely unfair and unjust.

Should it turn out that Marion tests positive for something, then so be it. However, in the absence of such positive results, all this innuendo and sinister remarks, so recklessly and viciously slung at this woman, are designed for one thing and one thing only - to annihilate this woman's good name and reputation.

So what she has been associated with questionable characters. So friggin what. Is this an indictable standard now? I answer emphatically “No. No. No..” A free people are free to hang out with whomever they damn well please and the simple act of association is nobody’s damn business. Okay?

I therefore stand in full and complete support of Marion Jones through this confrontation with a lynch mob especially in the absence of hard evidence of her guilt of any violations of established rule of the sport.

Re: I Support Marion Jones

That's a little melodramatic, don't you think?

Sure mobs are generally not affected by rational thought processes or much thought processes at all. But I think if you look through this particular forum you'll see that most of what is being discussed is founded on information and facts obtained from the real world (I think reputable media who don't want to pull a Jayson Blair can be reasonably used in this regard). People are informing themselves of what is out there and then coming to their own conclusions. Different people have different opinions though and they don't all necessarily co-exist happily.

<<There is also something extremely unfair about the way certain governing bodies do business with respect to these athletes. All these investigations and suspicions are made public, such that even if cleared, the investigated athlete is indelibly tattooed. People will subsequently look askance at any future performances of such athlete with furrowed brow. How gross. How absolutely unfair and unjust.>>

Now I may be proven wrong here, but have not almost all the details about investigations and suspicions of athletes become public not from the evil governing bodies but the athletes themselves? Isn't a big issue in the latest affairs the fact that USADA is strictly adhering to their privacy regulations by not releasing information willy-nilly? It is the athletes (or their lawyers/agents/coaches/miscellaneous hangers-on) who are making available official letters or supposed evidence.

<<A free people are free to hang out with whomever they damn well please and the simple act of association is nobody’s damn business. Okay?>>

Absolutely, provided you also acknowledge that a free people are free to think and discuss whatever they damn well please and the simple act of your disagreeing with their opinions is nobody's damn business to control.

We don't know if MJ is guilty of anything and I'm not even sure myself which side of the issue I believe, but I don't particularly feel you are in a position to talk down to me or others as to what can legitimately be discussed about in an open forum such as this. If board rules are violated, then censor away, but otherwise, if you don't agree with something, then prove your case.

Comment

"to annihilate this woman's good name and reputation."

She's done plenty of that on her own lately. Contradicting yourself, throwing tantrums in public, maligning the good name and reputation of the USADA while hopping around like a mad kangaroo ....and God help us if she turns up guilty, because the "I have NEVER used drugs and have succeeded solely due to my God-given talent and hard work" line would then turn out to be a lie told a thousand times over to billions of people - much too creepily reminiscent of Florence getting on her knees and praying for all the world to see in Seoul.

Comment

of course, you don't know what she was praying for.

Comment

"Mobs don’t question". We are all individuals who have different thoughts about what's occured.
          It's the Balco crowd that want us to have closed minds. I hope MJ is in the clear, but I see her with the same mindset as Barry Bonds.

Comment

"of course, you don't know what she was praying for."

Clever as ever u are.

Comment

"We are all individuals"

Just like in Life of Brian "I'm not!"

Comment

I think we all just have to be patient and see what the USADA comes up with.

On the face of it, the girl looks more guilty than not.

On the other hand, if the USADA really had something solid, wouldn't they have nailed her by now?

The one thing I cannot stop thinking about is the USADA investigator who couldn't tell the difference between men and women sprint times on the chart that was entitled "MJ."

Geez, even MJ (Michael Jackson) might have know better.
                "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

I agree that we need to withhold judgement, but Jones' defense of "no positive test" is a red herring (to steal from another thread). As far as I know THG was tested for only in samples from last year. Of course, there was no THG test before last year, and BALCO was busy making substances undetectable by pre 2003 tests. When was the last time that Jones had to produce a sample while she was actually training? Given a July 2003 birthdate, I assume that was Sep 2002--long before any THG testing was done. Of course, there are no positive test results for her--she would have been clean during the period when testing occurred. In her case, guilt will have to be shown by circumstantial evidence.

As for the USADA (and is it really pronounced "U-sah-da" now?), it's case seems shaky. I can only think that Jones is trying to force USADA's hand prematurely.

Comment

>Few things boil my blood like watching the mentality and actions of a mob.

Much better RH and I actually agree with you about her association with CF and said so publicly at the time. But I don't believe her when she says that she didn't know anything about CF. To accept that is saying that she was both completely out of touch with the world at age 11 or 12 and then she didn't learn anything at all about the recent history of her chosen profession at a later date. Neither is credible to me. I know I picked up the odd book and newspaper at that age and generally knew what was going on in the world around me and I imagine you did too. So these kind of statements make my radar go up. Can't get her on that obviously so I just want it all to play out. Even if you think that the media and posters are like a lynch mob, none of that matters. I assume that USADA knows what they are doing as far as procedure goes and that is all that will be relevant.

Comment

I don't think it's possible to "support" or not support Marion. We don't now what the full story is.
                      I do think she has told some lies- not knowing about CF is one, not admitting her full relationship with BALCO. he keeps saying I have not tested positive- but then she has also said she has NEVER taken illegal substances.
                      If she is s=-guilty then all her protestations will really come back to kaunt her. If she is innocent then all this distraction (and she brought some on herself) will make any track achievments she has that much more amazing.
                      So I think alot of people are waiting and not willing to throw their support behind Marion until this is all cleared up. Past events has turned us all into cynics I guess!

Comment

> But I don't believe her when she says that
                        she didn't know anything about CF. To accept that is saying that she was both completely out of touch with the world at age 11 or 12 and then she didn't learn anything at all about the recent history of her chosen profession at a later date.>

Even if she didn't know anything about Charlie Francis, everybody surrounding Marion, especially her manager, Charlie Wells, certainly knew of CF's exploits. To say she wasn't up to speed with CF's history would be ludicrous.

Comment

Even if she
                          >didn't know anything about Charlie Francis, everybody surrounding Marion,
                          >especially her manager, Charlie Wells, certainly knew of CF's exploits. To say
                          >she wasn't up to speed with CF's history would be ludicrous.

Either that, or she's so incredibly gullible by those surrounding her that she believes everything they tell her, including "there's nothing illegal in these substances..."

Comment

T&F should learn from Baseball, etc.. and let the athletes "Do what they do" and keep it on the downlow and look the other way. Look at Baseball and all the home runs, they learned that's what people want to see.
                            If my some miracle we are able to rid ourselves all the doping athletes then the records on the books will last forever, no way a clean woman sprinter can come close to Flojo etc.. We'll have to have pre-clean records and clean records.

Comment

>T&F should learn from Baseball, etc.. and let the athletes "Do what they do"
                              >and keep it on the downlow and look the other way. Look at Baseball and all
                              >the home runs, they learned that's what people want to see.
                              If my some
                              >miracle we are able to rid ourselves all the doping athletes then the records
                              >on the books will last forever, no way a clean woman sprinter can come close to
                              >Flojo etc.. We'll have to have pre-clean records and clean records.

What distinguishes T&F from the American pro sports is that those running the sport actually still have some morals left. No they aren't perfect, but they do try to muddle through and do the right thing. On the other hand, the commissioners for baseball, football and basketball clearly and obviously are always making financial calculations every single time they open their mouths. The question is whether we want our sport to foresake the fundamental premise of our sport to increase the financial gain that will accrue to a few elite athletes and meet promoters?

Comment

Working...
                              X