Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Race, Best Field Event

except Matzdorf's mark was measured in English at 7-6 1/4, so (most) statisticians think of it as being superior to Ni's 2.29 (7-6).

gh

Comment

Thank you

Wow! What a thrill to -- finally -- read the recap of that great race, T&FN style! Thank you so much!!!

Comment

BillVol ... I'd forgotten about the race, but as soon as you mentioned the pic, I remembered it. Yeah, it looks like his head is about to explode. Kind of Scanners thing.

Comment

Living in Austin and being privileged to watch the Texas Relays and the Texas HS championships every year, I've seen more great events than I can possibly remember. Last year's class 5A 4x4 championship was pretty fantastic. Four teams waged an epic battle. I can't remember which ones off of the top of my head, but that's the great thing about HS track -- the names don't really matter, but the thrill of the competition stays with you forever. They were all in a tight pack coming down the stretch. The difference between first and fourth was about 7/10 of a second. I think the winning time was a 3:11.

The best field event I DIDN'T see: the year previous to that, Ychlindria Spears setting the national HS record in the TJ. I was covering the meet for the San Angelo Standard-Times, and had my face buried in my computer, typing away, trying to make my deadline. Spears was jumping right in front of the press box, and I kept looking up, trying to catch her. I seem to remember her consistently jumping 42s and 43s. But -- I think on her final jump -- I failed to look up at the historic moment. I heard the loudest roar I've ever heard (which is saying something for the Texas HS championships) and I looked up to see Spears coming out of the pit. The sign came up: 44-2 1/4. There was a stunned pause in the press box as everyone tried to process it, which I finally broke by blurting out "Holy @#$%! That's a national record!!" And then my colleagues began a mad scramble through their press packets to see if I was right. I will rue missing that one to my grave.

A great one I DID see was Jacob Davis vaulting 19-4 at UT a few years ago, I think at the Texas Relays. Man, whatever happened to him?

I also watched the great Texas Relays of 1985. Roy Martin's 20.13, Hawthorne's national 4x4 record, and Rueben Reina vs. Eric Henry in the 3,200 (Reina won on a blistering kick with an 8:56, I think Henry was 8:58).

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that legendary mid-Seventies 4x4 relay leg at Texas state meet by Johnny "Lam" Jones. The story is that he took the baton light-years out of the lead and set the track on fire to win. EVERYONE in Texas still talks about that one in reverent, hushed tones. My friend Bret Bloomquist, the sports editor at San Angelo, said that if everyone who claimed to have witnessed it had really been there, Memorial Stadium's capacity would have to be 500,000.
          "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

did not know it was actually measured English-style, I thought they had quit doing that for WR-type heights. Remember when Thomas was measured English-style at 7'3 3/4", only to have it jacked all the way down to 2.22 ? He lost almost a full centimeter, well over 1/4". If they had measured it metrically, I bet they would have read it at 2.23 the same way they read/measured it at 7" 3 3/4". Either that or raised the bar a whopping one tenth of a centimeter !

Comment

A very similar thread to this one, but devoted specifically to Texas t&f, is going on at http://www.insidetexastrack.com/greatest.htm. Somebody on there says that the Lam Jones relay leg I mentioned was a 43.8.
              "Run fast and keep turning left."

Comment

Jacob Davis had some kind of degenerative back problem and from what I hear was completely burned out by his senior year at Texas.

Comment

I thought about this for 24 hours before replying. I actually saw that great 4x4 at 80 NCAA, and it was going to be my sleeper; too bad 3 or 4 people beat me to it. Others I considered were two events at Munich OG; M4x4 (Jon Hendershott's fave) and the fabulous 10K where Viren set the world record, where Dave Bedford ran 26:50 pace for several laps, looked around and saw the whole field right on his tail. But my sleeper is the 220y (straightaway) at the 1961 HS Sequoia Divisionals in Sanger CA. Defending state champ (both 100 & 200) Bill Cowings of Fowler ran stride for stride with then HS soph Tommie Smith of Lemoore for the last 150 yards before outleaning him by inches at the finish (21.1). Hard to believe anybody could stay with Tommie Jet for that long, but Cowings coulda been a great one (don't know what happened to him), and Smith hadn't quite yet perfected that high-lift stride.
                  Didn't see it, but I'd guess the 1968 OG triple jump would rival the Lewis-Powell duel for best field event.

Comment

Well poop! When this board came along I said to myself ohboy this is great finally a place where it's not just a bunch of skinnyanorexics talking distance running. Well we only got halfway there. Lotsa jumps talks here but it's like the throws dont't even exist. The Sacramento shot had to be the greatest field event ever.

Comment

sooo many ... but yes and yes - McGrady and Evans - almost every 600 they ran - absolutely electrifying. Saw almost every one in 70s +/-; from the 'infield'. Almost every athlete, official and others were riveted to the drama. McGrady was money and Evans never let up. Packed crowds were nuts.

Comment

So, please tell us about that Sacramento shot then, please? I sure wasn't there and would love to hear about it...

Comment

'95 NCAA shot was exciting

Godina was chucking them out of the landing area -- into the grass. Very exciting. He was really hot that day. Seems like there was another competitor or two pushing him on, but Godina won with 72+ put, I believe. What added to the excitement was the reaction of the crowd to Godina's throws.

Comment

No, the Sac (2000 Olympic Trials) shot was a monster 3-way duel that featured 3 guys going over 70 with many lead changes, including the burgeoning star Adam Nelson (with his crowd-pleasing antics) hitting 72-7 on his final throw. He then had this insane (for a putter) leap into the air and someone's arms (Godina's?) as the crowd went absolutely nuts.

Comment

Steveu wrote:
                              > Adam Nelson (... then had this insane (for a putter)
                              >leap into the air >>

See, nobody knows how athletic world-class weightmen really are. The TFN coverage of the Trials has an "equally insane" photo of Andy Bloom jumping.

I wager to say any world-class putter can do that (ever check out the pegs they walk around on?).

Al Feuerbach used to challenge world-class jumpers to standing long jump contests and beat them all the time. Don't let bulk fool you. (NFL QBs learned this lesson from raging DBs long ago. The hard way, I might add.)

Comment

How can we forget Brian Oldfield racing the female sprinters?

Comment

Working...
                                X