Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Race, Best Field Event

Best field event I ever witnessed ?? Easy.....Golden West shot put 1979.....Mike Carter's 81-3.5.....I don't think an explanation is necessary.

Phil

Comment

Another great question!

1. Carl Lewis breaking through at the 1981 Nationals in Sacramento.

2. Watching Craig Virgin, et. al. in the 5,000 at the same meet. The thrilling thing wasn't the race. It was watching it with Wilt Chamberlain. A bunch of us were standing in the endzone along the fence, just watching the race, just a bunch of track nuts standing and talking . . . including Wilt.

3. Seeing how Ovett, Coe, Cruz handled their heats in the 1984 800m. Just amazing to watch guys running 1:45-46s with complete ease.

4. Anybody breaking their PR. Doesn't matter whether it's h.s, all-comers, or Olympics. To see anyone you know well break their PR is thrilling.

Comment

I second the Michael Carter Monster. 20 feet less would still win 45 of the 50 state meets!!

Comment

1957 Suffolk County ( New York) High School Cross Country championship meet.

Eventual state champ Allan Chapman of Huntington H.S. (4:21 miler) and Ray Peiser of Sayville H.S. came into the chute together , going hammer and tong. Both prematurely lunged for the line, both were about 5 feet short, neither realized it until people kept screaming. Chapman then crawled the last 5 feet first. I was a high school freshman at Huntington and was standing right there. I will never forget that race !

Just goes to show that it is not the importance of the race or event, it's the competition itself.

Comment

Billy V. Your the man!

Comment

J...were you involved in that Tennessee 4x400 race? Or maybe on the team?

Comment

No, I wish, That team consisted of Al Horne, Jason Grimes, Lamar Preyor and Antone (Tony) Blair, the latter two were a part of the Ohio connection that proudly donned the Orange and White of UT. Preyor is from Trotwood, Ohio and Blair is from Alliance, Ohio. They also had Jeff Phillips from Columbus, Ohio. These three individuals aaccounted for eight state championships and at least 20 All-American honors. 1980 was a great year to be a University of Tennessee fan!

Comment

Every year is a great year to be a Vol, J! ;-)

But the Huntsman days were great. You know what is underrated, though? The days of Chuck Rohe. He gets no credit, it seems. No Chuck Rohe = no UT track as we know it now. He recruited some real studs. Bill Skinner, Doug Brown, Richmond Flowers... Basically started the program from scratch. The '60s were when UT decided to branch out and get serious about sports other than football. Basketball coach Ray Mears and swimming coach Ray Bussard added to the track Vols really made UT sports great during that era.

Comment

How about Kim Batten-Tonja Buford's virtual dead race with the WR time in Göteborg '95?
                    An awesome field event was the TJ in Indianapolis trials '88. True, there was some wind, but there aren't too many competitions with several 18m and multiple 17.50m jumps.
                    Please, let's not start another war about Flo-Jo's 10.49 run at the same time.
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Although I hated the result, the 91 WC 4x400 relay. Not only was the finish exciting, but the look on Akabusi's face when he won shows just how important beating the US (in most events) is to the rest of the world.

Comment

Best race IN PERSON? I've had to follow the sport on TV and in the pages of "the bible" for most of my life, so let's go back to high school. I went to HS in Phoenix in the early seventies. My sophomore year the sprinters were winning the state meet in the 10.1, 10.2 range (yards). Remember, this ain't Texas. In my junior year ('74) a sophomore from South Mountain High comes on the scene and I think over the next three years wins every race he runs. The times start dropping into the 9's and the 220s he runs are low 21, then in the 20's. Every meet he ran in drew a big crowd and at the evening invitationals and leading up to the state meet they were turning 'em away at the gate. Of course, the rest of the sprinters on his team were no slouches and by his senior year they are running in the low 41's in the relay and making up the stagger on half of the other top teams by the end of the first leg. Remember, there are only about 13 high schools in the city, so this stuff is ENORMOUS!
                        I had never seen this sprinter run the 4x4, but in the AZ state meet in '76 I think South Mountain had the chance to take the team title and the crowd starts to buzz when they see this guy warming up on the infield late in the meet. South Mountain is down by 10 or so yards to one team at the last exchange and this guy takes the baton and makes up the gap a little more than halfway through the turn. No one is sitting down. The leader has to be sweating the big drop. The race is over at the head of the stretch and the anchor goes in 47.6 or something unheard of like that in Arizona. Of course, this guys summer doesn't end there. He keeps getting faster than any of us ever thought he would.
                        When you're a high school kid watching athletes that good, every race gets etched in your memory.
                        You know his name.

Comment

I got a charge out of the day Eddie Hart ate up Borzov on the anchor leg of the 4 x 100 in Munich. The American team had been told the wrong time to show up for the 100 M, when Robert Taylor had run, but not Tinker and Hart. They were steamed. Hart caught Borzov and passed them, so they received some degree of consolation.

Comment

small amendment, Bijan. It was not Tinker that "missed the bus" with Hart, it was Rey Robinson.

But that was a great race. Of course Jim McKay was waving the US flag like crazy.. "vindication for US, etc."

Comment

For most dramatic field event ever witnessed: I'd say the '88 US Oly Trials LJ, Lewis against Powell. Powell had the lead, and as Lewis came up for his last jump, the lightning started cracking not too far off, the skies opened up, and it just started pouring rain. Lewis stood at the top of the runway as it just came down in sheets...waiting, focussing... before finally beginning his run. He flew down the runway, totally drenched, lept WAY out there and went ahead to win the competition. It was a surreal moment: more dramatic than anything Hollywood could ever come up with.

Comment

kuha1, I was there too, in the stands right near the runway. You are right, it was a MAGIC MOMENT.

Comment

Working...
                                X