• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best Race, Best Field Event

Or maybe you don't.

Comment

Was Herman Edwards this AZ schoolboy sprinter of whom you write?

Bijan

Comment

>I got a charge out of the day Eddie Hart ate up
        >Borzov on the anchor leg of the 4 x 100 in
        >Munich. The American team had been told the wrong
        >time to show up for the 100 M, when Robert Taylor
        >had run, but not Tinker and Hart. They were
        >steamed. Hart caught Borzov and passed them, so
        >they received some degree of consolation.>>

Good story, but didn't happen that way. Hart had a good 3m on Borzov at the exchange and led all the way.

Comment

Good story, but didn't happen that way. Hart had a good 3m on Borzov at the exchange and led all the way.

This leads to wonder how Bprzov would have reacted if Hart were in the 100 final in Munich. WIth all things being equal, Borzov was the best sprinter bar non in 72, but in the 400 final, when he received the baton 3 meters behind Hart, naturally he took off off hard, but when it becam eapparent tha he couldn't make up any ground on Hart, he just ran through. If Hart would have ran the 100 and started out good, would he have put enough pressure on Borzov , to the point of him losing his form? Any replies.

Comment

If Hart had been in the Munich final, Borzov most likely would have yawned, gotten his typically solid start and only have seen him again in his rear view mirror.

The U.S. media at the time (certainly including T&FN to some extent) felt that the winner of the OT was some annointed to be the OIympic champion, given how often it had happened. What was overlooked was that Borzov had ranked No. 2 in the world in '70 and No. 1 in '71. And a dispassionate look at the seasonal records of the two should have left no doubt in anyone's mind.

Borzov
            10.0 1)Quad meet
            10.3 1)vs. W Germany
            10.0 1)Sov Ch
            10.2 1)Pre-Oly
            10.1 1)Pre-Oly

Hart
            10.1w 2)Mt. sAC
            10.1 3)West Coast Relays
            10.6 2)Bakersfield
            10.2w 3)California R
            9.4y 1)Kennedy G
            9.9 1)OT
            10.2 2)Viareggio

Hart (who ranked No. 6 in '70, didn't rank in '71) had clearly captured lightning in a bottle in Eugene. Given the lack of auto-timing, we'll never know what he really ran there, but to see it as a 10.14-type time is certainly not a wild flight of fantasy. Coincidentally, 10.14 is what Borzov ran in the OG final (after a 10.07 in the prelims). I'd also note that Borzov ran into an 0.3 wind, Hart had an aiding 0.9.

That's a dispassionate analysis of the numbers. Having seen them both run in person, I wouldn't rate Hart as remotely in Borzov's class. Very fast, but Borzov was something special.

It's also instructive to note that Rey Robinson also ran 9.9 WR in Eugene. What does the rest of his season look like? Not that of an Olympic gold medalist:

9.4y 2)Florida R
            9.3y 1)Penn R
            10.1w 2)Calif R
            10.3 1)Coliseum R
            9.9 2)OT
            10.3 5)Bislett
            10.3 1)Viareggio

Comment

Not bad, Bijan. If you mean Herman Frazier, it wasn't him. But Herman Frazier was an AZ sprinter of the 400m type for ASU at around the same time. He went on to win OG bronze in the 400 in Montreal.

The guy I'm talking about also went to the Olympics that year.

Comment

I'll second bh's nomination of the 1987 400mh race, though Boit and Juantorena in the 800m at Dusseldorf in 1977 comes close. An older one that sticks in memory is the NCAA 440 at Stanford in 1941. That was Grover Klemmer's greatest year. SC had Hubie Kerns and Cliff Bourland, though Bourland ran the sprints instead of the quarter in the NCAA meet. Kerns unexpectedly edged out the others in 46.6, Klemmer was third 46.8, and in between was a relatively unknown (to us westerners anyway) runner from NYU, Harold Bogrow, also 46.8. Fourth, Gene Littler of Nebraska, 46.9. (The place times are from the Magnusson, Potts, Quercetani volume, without "e's" for estimates.) And that was in the days when spectators could really enjoy one-lap races because they were not run in lanes but from a long straightway, and you could know who was ahead of whom. The AAU 400m a week later must have been even better, but it was in Philadelphia and I didn't see it. Klemmer won this time in a world-record equalling 46.0, Kerns second and Bourland third both in 46.1. Three others under 47 seconds. Bogrow is said to have given up after 370m.

Comment

in the 200m.

Comment

Dwayne Evans. Third in Olympics.

Comment

Bingo! Bill, you get the dinette set and the Kimball piano.

Yeah, my buddies and I couldn't believe it when school got out in '76 (I graduated in '75): "Hey, Evans is going to the Trials!" "Hey, Evans got second in the trials in 20.22!" "Hey, Evans took the bronze!" We didn't even think he'd make the team, much less make the Olympic final, even less medal.

One more anecdote. He and the South Mountain High 4x1 relay team used to jog around the infield before their event with a baton, practicing handing off over and over. They went out and bought these striped hats that looked like railroad caps and wore them during their baton practice. Sort of made you think of them as a train. We all thought they were really cool.

I thought he would clean up in college and beyond, but injuries got to him until he finally won the NCAA title his senior year. He never ran faster than that 20.22. Isn't it interesting (and maybe even common) that some men/women run into injury when they get to college after absolutely zero history of injury during high school? Hey, could be another thread.

Comment

I think it was in the early ninety,s at the junior olympic at North Carolina at UNC, the 4 x 400 meter relay the young men division.The east coast classic track club anchored by andre butler
                        an all star track club and the texan track club anchor milton mallard who clock a serious 44.64 anchor leg. i had never seen anything like it

Comment

<For most dramatic field event ever witnessed: I'd say the '88 US Oly Trials LJ, Lewis against Powell.>

No offense, Kuha, but it was Larry Myricks, not Powell, who threatened Lewis @ 88 OT.

Comment

Three come to mind that I've personally witnessed. The 1987 WC 400 meter hurdles. Certainly in the top ten all time races. The 1965 2 mile HS relay at the Kansas Relays. Ryun running the anchor leg with a unbelievable 1:47.7 split for his carry and a new high school record. On the field, Pat Matzdorf world record, 7'6 1/4", at Berkeley, 1971.

Comment

Yikes, what's this - a 57 post thread that I haven't bullied my way onto?!
                              The best race is an obvious one - sitting in the Atlanta stadium with my whole family, getting ready for the Olympic men's 200 final. I turn to them and say, "Watch this - MJ is gonna set a new WR that will stand FOREVER!" Then I saw him stumble in the first three steps and I said, "never mind." Then he accelerated like I've NEVER seen before or after - I really think he was scared and got an adrenaline rush - and the rest is . . y'know.

The best field was my daughter winning the Florida state HS championships as a freshman in 1997. She pole vaulted 9'9". I was officiating the boys at the same time on UF's other pit and I caught the jump out of the corner of my eye and looked to see the bar still up - she cried, I cried. Too sappy.

Comment

Several "mano e mano" races come to mind.
                                1.) every Edwin Moses v. Harold Schimdt
                                2.)

Comment

Working...
                                X