• Show
Clear All

Re: Best Race, Best Field Event

Several "mano y mano" races come to mind;
    1.) The Edwin Moses v Harold Schimdt duals
    2.) Evelyn Ashford v Marita Koch 200/Marlise Gohr 100
    3.) Don Page v Sydnee Maree 1981 NCAA
    4.) Carl Lewis v Ben Johnson 1988 Seoul
    5.) Renaldo Nehemiah v Greg Foster NCAA & Pepsi Invit.
    6.) Don Quarrie v Peatro Meneia (forgive the spelling) duals
    7.) Marleen Otay v Gail Devers/Gwen Torrance
    8.) Carl Lewis v Larry Myricks
    9.) Steve Ovett v Sebastian Coe duals
    10.) USC v UCLA (FIGHT ON!)

Single best performances witnessed;
    1.) Tom Petronoff throwing the old javelin the length of the field at the Pepsi Invite at Drake Stadium (UCLA) and having it land and slide across the track while a running race was in progress!
    2.) Edwin Moses breaking the world record, looking at the clock and slowing down so he didn't go under 47 seconds! (hadn't negotiated for a large bonus for going 46 seconds)
    3.) Sebastian Coe breaking the world record and running faster than the rabbit. (James King 400h)
    4.) Wille Banks calling his shot at breakfast and delivering a la "Babe Ruth"
    5.) Joan Benoit 1984
    6.) ALberto Salavar every time he ran.
    7.) Renaldo Nehemiah breaking 13.00 and I had the best seat in the house. I WAS CHASING HIM AND GETTING MY BUTT KICKED!

Comment

Several "mano y mano" races come to mind;
      1.) The Edwin Moses v Harold Schimdt duals
      2.) Evelyn Ashford v Marita Koch 200/Marlise Gohr 100
      3.) Don Page v Sydnee Maree 1981 NCAA
      4.) Carl Lewis v Ben Johnson 1988 Seoul
      5.) Renaldo Nehemiah v Greg Foster NCAA & Pepsi Invit.
      6.) Don Quarrie v Peatro Meneia (forgive the spelling) duals
      7.) Marleen Otay v Gail Devers/Gwen Torrance
      8.) Carl Lewis v Larry Myricks
      9.) Steve Ovett v Sebastian Coe duals
      10.) USC v UCLA (FIGHT ON!)

Single best performances witnessed;
      1.) Tom Petronoff throwing the old javelin the length of the field at the Pepsi Invite at Drake Stadium (UCLA) and having it land and slide across the track while a running race was in progress!
      2.) Edwin Moses breaking the world record, looking at the clock and slowing down so he didn't go under 47 seconds! (hadn't negotiated for a large bonus for going 46 seconds)
      3.) Sebastian Coe breaking the world record and running faster than the rabbit. (James King 400h)
      4.) Wille Banks calling his shot at breakfast and delivering a la "Babe Ruth"
      5.) Joan Benoit 1984
      6.) ALberto Salavar every time he ran.
      7.) Renaldo Nehemiah breaking 13.00 and I had the best seat in the house. I WAS CHASING HIM AND GETTING MY BUTT KICKED!

Comment

The best race I ever saw was the last 70 metres of the women's 100 at the 1979 World Cup. I was sitting right at the finish line about 5 rows up and because of the overhang the runners didn't come into view until partway into the race. Ashford really kicked into gear just after they emerged into my sight and turned it on. I heard people around me exclaiming how "she can really turn it on!"

Another great one was Angela Chalmers' solo 8:32 3000 at the '94 Commonwealth Games in Victoria.

Comment

JJK v Heike Drechsler Long Jump duels from 1980s-1990s

Comment

How can I forget Tim Montgomery's fantastic
            9"78 WR in Paris, 2002.
            Nice weather, good seat and totally unexpected
            performance...

Comment

> How can I forget Tim Montgomery's fantastic
              9"78 WR in Paris, 2002?>>

I find that absinthe works quite well.

Comment

To Jim Rorick: You're absolutely right; thanks for the correction. I remember Lewis's come-back jump very precisely; everything else has faded into myth and hearsay!

Comment

>> How can I forget Tim Montgomery's fantastic
                  9"78 WR in Paris, 2002?>>

I
                  >find that absinthe works quite well.

That's a first here...a posting by a deseased, syphilitic, alcoholic dwarf...

Comment

>>That's a first here...a
                    >posting by a deseased, syphilitic, alcoholic dwarf...>>

I represent that statement!

Comment

Best personally witnessed, in no particular order:

1. Yashchenko 2.35i 1978 Milan
                      2. Wessig 2.36 1980 Moscow (I have it on dvd, pb by 6cms and he cleared it by miles)
                      3. Soto 2.32 (I think) London circa 1984, he was about 16/17 and I decided that I might as well give up.
                      4. Daley 8847 1984 LA
                      5. Vigneron 5.80 1981 (was standing next to the runway which was cool)
                      6. Bubka 5.90 1984 London
                      7. Dave Morecroft 13.00.41 Oslo 1982

Comment

Many years ago, a coach from the Yale University
                        said:
                        "...what I saw then, you will probably never see
                        it anymore..."
                        He was talking about Bob HAYES' legendary 4x100m
                        finish at the 1964 Tokyo Olympics.

Comment

Hart caught Borzov and passed them, so they received some degree of consolation.

Hart already had the lead when he received the baton. However, Hart did pull away from Borzov ((By .04) so that does constitute a bit of revenge.

Comment

>For most dramatic field event ever witnessed: I'd say the '88 US Oly Trials LJ,
                            >Lewis against Powell. Powell had the lead, and as Lewis came up for his last
                            >jump, the lightning started cracking not too far off, the skies opened up, and
                            >it just started pouring rain. Lewis stood at the top of the runway as it just
                            >came down in sheets...waiting, focussing... before finally beginning his run.
                            >He flew down the runway, totally drenched, lept WAY out there and went ahead
                            >to win the competition. It was a surreal moment: more dramatic than anything
                            >Hollywood could ever come up with.

Absolutely agree--the BEST ever field event competition until Tokyo in '91 (which I didn't see live.) One correction tho: it was Larry Myricks who was matching Lewis jump for jump as they exchanged the lead. Lewis did not win by much. Powell was fighting for third (and I don't remember who placed higher) in another great close competition less than a foot behind Lewis and Myricks.

The great special effect was that there was a huge strike/thunderclap overhead just as Lewis began his run for the winning jump. There were no other events going on, so the entire crowd was focused on the event.

Comment

For foot races, it's harder to choose, but I got the most excited over MJ's 19.32, but I also sat next to Miruts Yifter and the Ethiopian crowd when Geb fought with Tergat in the 10k. Roddie Haley's 43.2 400 leg at the 1985 Penn Relays to win the DMR for Arkansas was another exciting race. (Yes, a 400 runner won the DMR for his team then...) Bill McChesney trying to steal the OT 5k in 1980 and just hanging on for 3rd ranks up there.

Comment

>1996 the California high school state meet. Muir versus Morninside in the finals. Muir beat Morningside the previouys week at theState qualifing meet some where around the 3:12-3:13 range. Morningside rearranged their order from fasest to slowest for the finals at state (47, 47, 48, 49). Basically get the lead possible before Muir's anchor gets. Coming into the anchor Morningside's plan goes well, by the time Muir's anchor gets the baton Morningside has a 40-45 meter lead. The muir anchor acceclated the turn and ran the first 200m in about 21 point plus, closing the gap to 25 meters, by the middle of the second turn he closed to 17m. By the time the muir anchor got to the home stretch 10,000 plus fans realized what they were witnessing and whoever wasn;t standing was now. At 325m the gap was now 12m at 350 the muir anchor brought it to 8. The morningside anchor was now beginning to feel the onset of rigormortis and the pressure of being the victim of a once storied track program. 375 meteres the gap was now at 5 meters. 390 the gap was now 2. Both men lean, the finish, the roar of ten thousand, fans running onto the field for the last race of the the high school season. The winner-- Muir,the anchor man ??? let 10, 000 tell you "O--BEA!!, O--BEA!!, O--BEA!!"

And get this- he was only a sophmore!!
                                O.K. the split- 45 and change.<

That Actually Occurred in 1995. because I won my first state title that Year. But it was a great race.

Comment

Working...
                                X