X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kuha
    replied
    Re: Favorite Stadium

There must be multiple threads on this subject, as I distinctly recall posting on it...at some point.

All time favorite stadium: Stockholm, by a wide margin.
    Other favs: old Bislett, old Zurich, Hayward Field...and maybe Monaco.

Worst stadiums: Atlanta, hands down.
    Also pretty lousy: Paris, Rome, Crystal Palace

As stated before, I don't like the mammoth "bowl" stadiums; totally prefer the smaller, more intimate settings, preferably with the aura of some history.

Leave a comment:

• wineturtle
    replied

Ten+ years later ...

49th Street Madison Square Garden my first Big Time Meet was Millrose.
    As a kid my dream was to run there, win a bunch of medals and get a story in The Herald-Tribune, Daily Mirror, Journal American and the World Telegram & Sun ... slowness intervene.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Another vote for the old LA Coliseum. Probably because I saw my first track meet there - even though at age 7, I didn't understand the signifigance. I did have a lot of fun, even though it was hot as Hell. Ryun set his 1500 record in the meet. I remember the race, and I remember Ryun taking off during the last lap. Again, I didn't understand the signifigance, but I do remember thinking wow! when he put so much yardage on the guy chasing him (Keino). I enjoyed the Pepsi Meet at Drake Stadium at UCLA in the 80's - it had great performances, and a good view of the track, although the seats could have been a smidgen more comfortable.

Leave a comment:

• gm
    replied

I wouldn't even rate Mike Myers as the best stadium in Texas For the money they spent, they got robbed. Horrible planning.

Angelo State's stadium is one of the best I've ever been in, both as a good athlete facility and a good spectator facility.

Robertson Stadium at UHouston was a great place to watch a meet before they tore the track out.

I still love Mt. SAC for its friendly, relaxed atmosphere, and Gateshead was (is?) a fun place when the weather cooperated.

Leave a comment:

• trackstar
    replied

I haven't done a lot of track traveling -- in fact, I think my trip to Oslo will be the first meet I've seen outside of Texas -- but I sure do like the University of Texas' Myers stadium, built about five years ago. It's great because you can see almost everything, no matter where you sit, the only exception being the hammer throws (and if you sit at the very top row on the finish-line side, you could just look behind you and see that, too).

Some people bemoaned the removal of the track from UT's Memorial Stadium, but not me -- I hated being in a stadium that was obviously designed for football, with track as an afterthought. The horizontal jumps were too far away to be seen and all the throws were held across the street. Myers stadium is also a soccer stadium, but track & field was obviously the first consideration. I think it is a highly deserving host of next year's NCAAs, and I think you out-of-towners will be impressed. (Although you will wish it had Hayward Field's shade. Drink plenty of water, and wear sunscreen!)

Leave a comment:

• 1.97hjsteve
    replied

field Guy, I agree with you in many respects, but I was thinking mainly of the mystique of the place from a person in the stands viewpoint.... 1 million runners being herded on and off the track for a new race every 5 or 6 minutes ??!! Nothing like it anywhere else in the whole wide world.

Hey I'm a " field guy " too, but the HJ was right there on the Old Sod. But I Feel Your Pain, really.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Franklin Field?! No true fan can have as a favorite a place where all the throws are conducted outside the stadium. Even worse---4 friggin' lanes?

Penn is a great meet but the stadium blows bigtime.

Leave a comment:

• 1.97hjsteve
    replied

Has everyone forgotten Franklin Field ? ( For sure, Bob Soth hasn't !

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Two answers:

1. Favorite domestic stadium would be the OLD version of Hayward Field, where the East Grandstand was some 30 feet closer than it is now. Made for a track with nasty tight turns, but the noise coefficient was a quantum leap above what it has become since. (Even removing the Pre factor)

2. Favorite overseas stadium would be one that hasn't hosted an international meet in a dozen years or more now, which would be Bern, Switzerland. You're not quite in the high Alps, but the mountains glimmer in the distance, and the old wood structure was very reminsicent of Hayward Field.

Out back there were guys grilling tons of bratwurst, and the smoke would drift through the seats. Grab a brat and a bottle of Feldschlossen (Swiss beer) and you were in heaven.

gh

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton was exceptionally well set up for competition, and for most field events you could get very near the competition. I think it's a model to copy.

Leave a comment:

• blacklily
    replied

My favorite domestic stadium is Hayward Field. Good sight lines, you get some shade, you can position yourself well along the finish line bend to get athlete autographs.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Any stadium that doesn't serve beer doesn't get consideration. Hayward Field...... not!

Leave a comment:

• dl
    replied

Domestically, you can't touch Hayward Field.

Abroad, the Stockholm Olympic Stadium is a marvel. Beautiful brick, two big towers, wooden benches. Only seats 16,000 or so, but if full, the place can get very loud.

Leave a comment:

• vaulter83
    replied

Only really elite meet I've been to was Prefontaine last year. Unbelievable atmosphere at Hayward especially during the Men's shot. The whole stadium was clapping and cheering for them. I believe it was the first time 3 men ever threw over 70 feet in the same meet on U.S. soil. Its amazing watching a 16lb. ball of iron fly that far.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Rorick
    replied

My favorite is still Bakersfield's Memorial Stadium, probably for the exact same reasons you like the LA Coliseum - I saw lots of World records on that old crushed brick track, and they were the first big meets I ever saw. The viewing was great from the first twenty-five rows on either side, although I wouldn't have wanted to see any meet from the upper deck. I also enjoyed my two days at Echo Summit for 68 OT (shoulda allowed for more days, but I just had to get back to college). And you couldn't beat the atmospher at Hayward Field throughtout the 1970s.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X