Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Who wins the VO2max Race?

You have mistaken the angle I was taking with this.
    I never suggested person A has the biggest VO2Max therefore must be the best runner.
    I merely wanted to know if the Olympics included Vo2max in their event schedule next year, who would the winner be and what would their levels be.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

"Among elite male long distance runners and cross country skiers, the highest VO2 max value recorded for a male is from a champion Norwegian cross country skier who had a VO2 max of 94 ml/kg/min. The highest value recorded for a female is 74 ml/kg/min in a Russian cross country skier. "

VO2 max is at best an indirect measure of running potential. Joan Benoit Samuelson tested out higher than Alberto Salazar, but wouldn't have had a chance against him at any distance. There is a correlation between VO2 max and race times when elite runners are compared to average ones, but almost no correlation within any group of elite runners. There is, however, very strong correlation between running speed at VO2 max and race times. The conclusion drawn is that VO2 max is a reflection of the oxygen cost of maximum effort, rather than the limiting factor of maximum effort. You can read more in "Lore of Running" (4th ed., 2003) by Dr Tim Noakes.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I heard that Said Auitia had his tested at 81. Salazar was around 75 and I believe Shorter was also in the mid 70's.

I had mine tested in college(in 1989 along with rest of the cross country team)and had 72, but I have been distance running since I was 7 yrs old and think it helped me grow up with a big set of lungs and taught my body efficiency in form and oxygen utilization over many years.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I know the cross country skiier Bjorn Daehlie has a phenomenal score

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Who wins the VO2max Race?

Who wins the VO2max Race?

I want to know who has had the biggest v02max recorded, the highest I know is L Armstrong with 83 something, but there have been some phenomanol athletes who must be up there. What about Coe, Ryun, Geb, El Guerrouj, Ian Thorpe, Khalid K etc
Working...
X