• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Thomas: First 7-0 footer indoors

Was he the first ever or was it Fosbury,and what
    is he doing these days?

Re: John Thomas: First 7-0 footer indoors

Tip - it might be an idea to do a little research (probably takes all of 10 seconds) before you hit "post" on a question like this...

Comment

I was just asking a simple question that's all.

Comment

>I was just asking a simple question that's all.

xcfan, sometimes it:s better to read the book than skim through the Cliffs Notes.

Comment

If their is any info about this person please
          let me know.

Comment

>If their is any info about this person please
            let me know.

why don't you just contact him at the reggie lewis center in boston, ma...he's the ad at the college.....

Comment

To which indoor competition are you referring?

Comment

oh just give him the answer ! JT jumped 7'0", first-ever indoor seven footer, in 1959, I believe at a Boston meet; he finished up his indoor season with a final world indoor record of 7' 1.25" at the AAU meet. ( I was there ! )

Then he injured his foot in an elevator accident and was done until the next indoor ( 1960 ) season.

Just looked up the exact answer:

That first 7 footer was at Millrose Games at old Madison Square Garden on 1/31/59.

Comment

Now it might be reasonable for a person to inquire about the first indoor 7 footer, but to have so litte background as to guess that it was Fosbury is NOT reasonable.

Comment

That
                    >first 7 footer was at Millrose Games at old Madison Square Garden on 1/31/59.

i was there...the garden was silent as he got ready and then broke into the greatest uproar i have ever been a part of when he cleared it!
                    i think he said they forgot to measure it in the pandemonium...

Comment

>Now it might be reasonable for a person to inquire about the first indoor 7
                      >footer, but to have so litte background as to guess that it was Fosbury is NOT
                      >reasonable.
                      >>>

Yep, that was my point.

Comment

I never said I was an expert on this event.

Comment

I'll side with xcfan here. By his handle he's a cross country aficionado who asked an innocent question about initial indoor seven footers, be it 48 or 38 years ago ! No need for any of us to have made fun of him. How many CC guys have even ever heard of Fosbury, or even have enough interest in field events to ask the question ??

Comment

steve, I see where you are coming from, but I don:t agree... I was an xc guy before falling for the track & field love affair, yet learned who the track "players" were of my era, and also those who were just before my time. I don:t think it is so much xcfan not knowing answers to his questions as much as it is not taking the time to look anywhere before posing those questions. That question well runs very deep, yet any Google search will turn up answers -- more than anyone could desire -- in less than one second. More importantly, the nice little search function on these boards will do the trick, as more than likely most of these questions have been posed in some way, shape or fashion before.

Comment

Steve, topic closed for me beyond saying that when people discover I was a Hj-er, the first question they ask is, "Did you do that Fosbury thing?". And these are people with zero interest in T&F. On a sidenote I don't think you were around when Jon posted this video link. It's got video of Meyfarth's two olympic wins, the HJ from the 1924 OG's plus a load of other great videos. Hit a/v, then sport, listed under it's proper name, "athletics"

http://www.olympic.org/uk/utilities/mul ... dex_uk.asp

Comment

Working...
                              X