Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: John Thomas: First 7-0 footer indoors

John Thomas was indeed the first to jump 7 feet indoors, at the 1959 Millrose Games in Madison Square Garden, defeating Olympic Champion Charles Dumas in the process. Dumas, in 1958, had been the first to jump 7 feet outdoors. Thomas'leap resulted in perhaps the loudest croad roar ever in the Garden. I have witnessed 71 Millrose Games and this was my most Memorable Millrose Moment.

Howard Schmertz

Comment

And Howard you are a most honored contributor on this Board.... most of us know who you are and all your fantastic contributions.

Having said that you made a slight error in your response, probably a typo.... Dumas' 7 footer was 1956, not 1958.

Comment

>John Thomas was indeed the first to jump 7 feet indoors, at the 1959 Millrose
        >Games in Madison Square Garden, defeating Olympic Champion Charles Dumas in the
        >process. Dumas, in 1958, had been the first to jump 7 feet outdoors.
        >Thomas'leap resulted in perhaps the loudest croad roar ever in the Garden. I
        >have witnessed 71 Millrose Games and this was my most Memorable Millrose
        >Moment.

Howard Schmertz

hi howard...me too...first the crowd quiet and then the roar...true ny diehard trackies!!!

Comment

Thanks for the correction on Dumas. My memory ain't what it used to be.
          Howard

Comment

Dear Epelle I will take your advice when wanting to know about former stars in the sport that I took up in junior high,as I said before I remember
            seeing a picture of him in a indoor competition
            that may have been when he made history going
            over 7-0.

Comment

xcfan... no problem.. exert yourself a little. I will try finding the post Jon had which asked others for their favorite links... when I find that, you will have more at your disposal than you would ever think possible when it comes to the wealth of info collected and shared on that post.

Can:t find it yet, but here is a site which will give you good leads on past, present and stats:

http://www.athleticslinks.com/links/interact.php

Comment

>Steve, topic closed for me beyond saying that when people discover I was a
                >Hj-er, the first question they ask is, "Did you do that Fosbury thing?". And
                >these are people with zero interest in T&F.

This is the one I always get.

"Did you run the Boston marathon this year?"

No, idiot. Not only have I NEVER run it but just because I run doesn't mean I run marathons. I haven't run one in almost 21 years and plan to die with that streak still intact.

Comment

John Thomas - First 7 Footer Indoors

Information I have said that after Thomas cleared 7' 0", instead of remeasuring, the officials allowed Dumas to also attempt 7' 0". He missed and there went the record. A week later, Thomas cleared 6' 10 3/4" to win the Boston AA and a week after that, at the NYAC Games, he cleared 7' 0" to OFFICIALLY get the record when the officials correctly remeasured the bar. Anyone connected to the Millrose Games and/or NYAC Games care to comment?

Comment

Working...
                  X