• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Valeriy Brumel

Picture T&FNews: Page42 March 2003 also Page 54 May 1995

Comment

My husband has a scrapbook he kept from those days and he has that basketball photo in it!

Comment

The rim-kick photo inspired me to try touching my livingroom ceiling. When my parents were out, I piled up all cushions & pillows in the house, took a run from the back hallway, and succeeded in leaving a toeprint on the ceiling (c.9 ft?). Lucky I didn't break my neck in the attempt. Don't recall if I 'proudly' showed my parents the smudge.. but sure pointed it out to any friend who ever visited. (Wonder if it's still there, 41 years later?..)

Comment

>Picture T&FNews: Page42 March 2003 also Page 54 May 1995

This famous photo was also in T & F N back in 1961 ( think that's the year )

Comment

>>When my parents were out, I piled up all cushions & pillows in the house, took a run from the back hallway, and succeeded in leaving a toeprint on the ceiling (c.9 ft?). Lucky I didn't break my neck in the attempt. Don't recall if I 'proudly' showed my parents the smudge.. but sure pointed it out to any friend who ever visited.

Were you wearing spikes?

Comment

Not to be a spoil sport, but has anyone bothered to look where his center of gravity is in that famous photo? Maybe 6'. Piece of cake for him. All that photo illustrates is great range of motion.

Comment

barefoot. Left a nice dirty smudge.

Comment

Re: the technique

My objective is to see Brumel again. As a young boy growing up in the '60s I remember watching the US-USSR track meets and being inspired by this great athlete. In those days it was about the sport and not so much the money like today.

Comment

>My objective is to see Brumel again.

What do you mean by "see Brumel again ? " Sadly, he passed away about 2-3 years ago.

Comment

john started this thread, asking about the availability of any videos...

Comment

Valeriy Brumel

Reportedly, during his stay at Stanford during the '62 US vs USSR meet, Brumel, in front of students and at least one reporter, touched the rim with his foot in a gym on the campus. Later that same day, at an outdoor court and in front of John Thomas and Bob Hayes, he did it again. Reynaldo Brown was able to touch a goalpost with his foot - also ten feet off the ground (I think) - and said he did it as part of his workouts. At least one photo exists of that.

Comment

In case someone hasn't seen it...the Tokyo clip is up on the net. Search YouT...for "Tokyo '64 (V)" . The first 1:39 is devoted to the high jump competition and includes Robert Shavlakadze, John Rambo, John Thomas and Brumel.

cman

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                            My husband has a scrapbook he kept from those days and he has that basketball photo in it!
                            Does he have the photo of Wilf Wedman kicking the rim too? It was on the front page of the Vancouver Sun sports section back in 1968ish.

cman :?:

Comment

Working...
                            X