X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Franko
    • Oct 2005

Where are they?

Being originally from Philadelphia I have followed Villanova track for a long time. This spring I have missed two of their notable grads among the missing in race results. Jen Rhines is the 2002 10K champ who had a poor outing in her initial marathon. She showed up for the Cross country nationals and made the Worlds team even though she was lower in the finish than usual. She did not run the worlds and nothing else that I can see. Carrie Tollefson has just disappeared. I would like to hear what is going on with them if some one could bring me up to date.
  • MJD
    • Oct 2005

Re: Where are they?

That's what's nice about google.
    "Dawson, Minn., native Carrie Tollefson will test herself on the Melpomene course after struggling through a winter of injury. Tollefson is a member of Team USA Minnesota and is ranked among the top 10 in the U.S. at 1,500, 3,000 and 5,000 meters."
    More here:
    Follow the StarTribune for the news, photos and videos from the Twin Cities and beyond.

And here:
    http://www.fast-women.com/athletes/inte ... efson.html
    Coouldn't find much recent stuff on Rhines.

Comment

• Brutal
      • Oct 2005

Ah yes....

Charles Jenkins
      Ed Collymore
      Frank Budd
      Paul Drayton
      Larry James
      Erv Hall
      Larry Livers
      Carlton Young

and all those distance runners.

Comment

• bkotch
        • Oct 2005
        • Houston, Texas

The April issue of TFN notes that LSU junior Muna Lee has a chance to become the first to win all four short sprints in one year since ISU's Holli Hyche in 1993. What in the world ever happened to Holli? I can remember thinking she showed some real promise.

Comment

• racewalker
          • Oct 2005

Martin McGrady. Man, there was a competitor.

Comment

saw many McGrady / Evans duels. Whew. Track ... competition at its best. At or near Evans peak. Almost same script each time. And not so slow either. Second your motion ...

Comment

Where is former HS 2 mile record holder Craig Virgin. I had heard he had been in a serious car accident that ended his running. But that was several years ago.

Comment

don't know about Virgin, but Doug Padilla had a near life-ending accident while running - a few years ago.

Comment

• jweaton
                  • Oct 2005

Re: Where is Craig Virgin?

I've seen him at several University of Illinois events over the past few years, all after the accident, which was in January 1997 (I think). The last time was probably the 2001 Big-10 XC meet in Champaign (the day that Alan Webb outkicked Matt Tegenkamp).

I also saw him run a UIUC XC alumni meet, but I don't remember exactly which year. He didn't run very fast, and I remember him stopping to change his shoes halfway through the race.

You might try a google search for "Craig Virgin" and accident -- that should bring up a few articles.

Comment

• jsquire
                    • Oct 2005

>Coouldn't find much recent
                    >stuff on Rhines.

She was at the adidas "Women on the Run" panel at the Boston Marathon expo. Said she was injured and working her way back into racing, although I don't recall the specifics.

Aside from Grete Waitz, all the women on the panel were coming back from some type of injury. I don't know if this means that distance runners get injured a lot, of if it means that these particular women were available for public appearance because they were injured.

Comment

Working...
                    X