Re: Joe Falcon

He flew away ??

Bad joke but I'm sure someone knows.

Comment

Isn't he a policeman somewhere?

Comment

Attended Arkansas in the early '90 didn't he?

Comment

Joe Falcon did seem to be improving then all of a sudden he wasn't heard from again.

Comment

Didn't Joe win the Goldem Mile once beating Peter Elliot? I think I've got that race on video tape, somewhere.

Comment

By the way was Falcon of Native American ancestry? I never heard it mentioned in Track and Field, but he looked like he was of at least partial Native ancestry?

Comment

In 1984, I watched Joe Falcon win the 800, mile, and 2 mile races (same day) at the Missouri HS state meet his senior year. His school was not in the "big" division, so he had very little competition. Whether he was on a four or five year plan at Arkansas, he would have graduated from there by 1989.

Comment

Don't know what happened to him after the early 90s, but here are some highlights:

Ran for Arkansas in latter part of 80s. Don't know exact years.

NCAA champion
                  87 Indoor 3000 7:56
                  88 Indoor 3000 7:55
                  88 Outdoor 1500 3:38

USA champion
                  90 outdoor 1500 3:37
                  93 indoor 3000 7:49

A few European meets
                  88 Zurich mile 3:52 (2nd or 3rd, I think)
                  89 Oslo mile 3:51 (3rd, I think)
                  90 Oslo mile 3:49.31 (1st)

I scanned through Peter Larsson's site
                  (http://www.algonet.se/~pela2/index.html)
                  and didn't find any faster times than these for Falcon. According to the info on that site, today is JF's birthday -- he's 39.

I'm sure others know Falcon's career better. Don't know what happened to bring his career to an early end, or what he's done since. He would have been only about 24 when he ran his 3:49 mile and 26 when he ran his 7:49 3000.

Comment

Missouri never mixed metric with imperial distances at the state meet.

>In 1984, I watched Joe Falcon win the 800, mile, and 2 mile races (same day) at
                    >the Missouri HS state meet his senior year. His school was not in the "big"
                    >division, so he had very little competition. Whether he was on a four or five
                    >year plan at Arkansas, he would have graduated from there by 1989.

Comment

This from Arkansas Runner

http://www.arkansasrunner.com/usatf-ar/ ... uctees.htm

Falcon inducted into their HoF in 99:

Joe Falcon
                      Falcon was one of the most versatile distance runners in NCAA history, winning seven individual NCAA national championships over distances from 1500 meters through 10,000 meters while representing the University of Arkansas.  He was a member of the Razorbacks world record setting distance medley relay team in 1989.  Falcon set a collegiate record of 7:46.42 in the indoor 3000 meters in 1989 and posted other personal bests of 3:35.42 for 1500 meters and 28:34.20 for 10,000 meters.

Comment

>Missouri never mixed metric with imperial distances at the state meet.<

ed gee -- now you're getting picky, I think you know what I was talking about. I suppose you know if the Jefferson City, MO track stadium was 400m or 440y long in 1984?

Comment

I was a long distance runner from Missouri who use to idolize Joe Falcon. He went to school just south of where I grew up. I knew his mom and little brother real well. I do not know much about him now, but he was a hell of a runner. His coach after he graduated Arkansas was Dave Denny who coaches on the High School level and use to coach Tegenkamp in high school also.

Comment

>Whatever happened to him?

I asked myself "Should I have heard of Joe Falcon?". But, then I realized that he was quite fast -- I believe he did the Kessel Run in under 12 parsecs.

Unless I'm confused about something...

Comment

He fell down in the 1992 Olympic Trials 1500. He was among the favorites.

Comment

Working...
                              X