X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carl Lewis' New Career

http://www.carllewis.com/carl_lewis_get ... ey_dsl.mov

Re: Carl Lewis' New Career

That's actually quite old . . . and very disturbing . . . on several levels.

Comment

>That's actually quite old . . . and very disturbing . . . on several levels.

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... age=161828

Comment

well

if i didn't know that was the King, i woudn't have thought other than, that was a good,solid method actor, giving an expected performance

then again, i never remember de niro or pacino playing hamlet or lear...

Comment

>well

if i didn't know that was the King, i woudn't have thought other than,
          >that was a good,solid method actor, giving an expected performance

then
          >again, i never remember de niro or pacino playing hamlet or lear...

Al Pacino played "Richard III," - they even made a movie about his playing it ("Looking for Richard") - and Shylock in a filmed "Merchant of Venice". Dustin Hoffman has also played Shylock on the London stage, FWIW. Marlon Brando - speaking of memorable "method actors" - was a memorable Marc Anthony in the B/W "Julius Caesar" (featuring John Gielgud as Cassius {?} & James Mason as Brutus, IIRC.

The "method" can serve as an excuse for a lack of talent, but when a "method actor" genuinely has the chops, he can act with anyone in the world.

Comment

i remember seeing pacino in richard iii & i did have a chuckle - he seemed way out of his depth

as for shylock - that basically is playing a mean ole jewish guy, who i'm sure that hoffman being jewish has come across in his life - hardly taxing for a jewish guy

these roles don't compare to the power & pathos that you need to bring to a role like hamlet or lear - let's see them play those !

willy loman is about the limit i've ever seen these method actors achieve

Comment

O.K. tafnut, on the theme of method acting, I’d be interested to hear if you think these two stories are myths or true.

In Viva Zapata!, did Marlon Brando, really drink a bottle of vodka to play a drunk Zapata?

My favourite is lawrence Olivier ridiculing Dustin Hoffman when he was running up and down stairs to get himself out of breath for the last scene in Marathon man. Olivier said to Hoffman something along the lines of “Why don’t you try acting it’s much less tiring”.

Comment

for the last scene in Marathon man.
                >Olivier said to Hoffman something along the lines of “Why don’t you try acting
                >it’s much less tiring”.

At least he didn't go after him with that spring-loaded knife up his sleeve.

Comment

>i remember seeing pacino in richard iii & i did have a chuckle - he seemed way
                  >out of his depth

as for shylock - that basically is playing a mean ole
                  >jewish guy, who i'm sure that hoffman being jewish has come across in his life
                  >- hardly taxing for a jewish guy

these roles don't compare to the power &
                  >pathos that you need to bring to a role like hamlet or lear - let's see them
                  >play those !

willy loman is about the limit i've ever seen these method
                  >actors achieve

De gustibus non disputandum est, but really! I find it hard to take seriously the theatrical opinion of someone who dismisses Richard III and reduces Shylock to "a mean ole Jewish guy."

Pacino may not have played Lear yet, but Lee J. Cobb (who starred with Brando in "On The Waterfront") did. And all of the actors mentioned are much too old for Hamlet now: the best I ever saw was David Warner (with the RSC) when he was about 23.

These guys can act, Eldrick, and if you can't appreciate it, I'm afraid it's your loss.

Comment

<jewish has come across in his life - hardly taxing for a jewish guy>

Are you saying any Dane can be Hamlet, any German Franz von Mohr, any Swiss William Tell....
                    For crying out loud eldrick, what were you smoking (drinking) when you wrote something so asinine?
                    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

>Pacino may not
                      have played Lear yet, but Lee J. Cobb (who starred with Brando in "On The
                      Waterfront") did.<

lee cobb ??

i saw the video of scofield

Comment

best i ever saw:

the late

Legendary

Sir Alan Bates:

"The Fixer"

Comment

><Are
                          >you saying any Dane can be Hamlet, any German Franz von Mohr, any Swiss William
                          >Tell....
                          For crying out loud eldrick, what were you smoking (drinking) when
                          >you wrote something so asinine?<

err...

shylock is is a "nasty" jewish guy

do you believe dustin (jewish) never met a prototype-"nasty" (jewish) guy to draw inspiration from ?

or do you think

Lord Olivier

taught him to grow up ?

Comment

>>do you believe dustin (jewish) never met a >prototype-"nasty" (jewish) guy to draw inspiration from ?<<

eldy - you're out of your depth here.

a. Hoffman is universally regarded as one of Hollywood's best actors.
                            b. 'method' acting is just a fancy name for 'getting into character'. Virtually all great actors use some permutaion of it.
                            c. You don't have to be Jewish to play a Jew.
                            d. Just because you are a Jew doesn't mean you can play a better 'nasty' one than anyone else. (anyone can meet a 'nasty old Jew' - in your words)

Comment

>>>do you believe dustin (jewish) never met a >prototype-"nasty" (jewish) guy
                              >to draw inspiration from ?<<

eldy - you're out of your depth here.

a.
                              >Hoffman is universally regarded as one of Hollywood's best actors.
                              b. 'method'
                              >acting is just a fancy name for 'getting into character'. Virtually all great
                              >actors use some permutaion of it.
                              c. You don't have to be Jewish to play a
                              >Jew.
                              d. Just because you are a Jew doesn't mean you can play a better 'nasty'
                              >one than anyone else. (anyone can meet a 'nasty old Jew' - in your words)<

the implication being, if you belong to a certain racial/ethnic/religious group, you are more likely to meet the statistically normal "nasty" guyz than if you weren't from that group

same as if a black north african actor woud probably have met more "Othello's" in his community to draw inspiration from than a white european

as for hoffman, daisy's comment ( which i also heard ):

"My favourite is lawrence Olivier ridiculing Dustin Hoffman when he was running up and down stairs to get himself out of breath for the last scene in Marathon man. Olivier said to Hoffman something along the lines of “Why don’t you try acting it’s much less tiring”."

pretty much sums up the regard in which their ilk are held

Comment

Working...
                              X