Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Jackie Robinson And Wilt Chamberlain

... now that you mention the House brothers - I think there were two and John didn't LJ. SS march to finals included finishing in top 1, 2 or 3 in your league champs (depending on league - they had a system based on something - school sized likely- but can't remember exactly.) Then next week you went to quarter finals - top 2 or 3 in your heat, then to semis - top two I think - to qualify for finals/champs. Semis were often held at same place as champs - normally Cerritos or MSAC. Big Big (packed) crowds.

School my older bros went to had Steve Caminiti and the next year they had a 9.5 guy, who ran 9.6 in league champ and got 2nd. They (Crespi) had a pretty good 'run' there for 10 yrs or so, in numerous events. Caminiti ran a 13.7 and 18.1 and was smoked (by a .10th in HH snd some more in LH) by Earl McCollough in CIF finals - a much anticipated showdown. Both were natl record holders with identical HH and LH times, with McCollough recording those times in bigger meets. McCollough was one of my favorite (and a marque -sp) runners - silky smooth and big white socks - pretty impressive on a warm night in late May early June. Lots of natl caliber guys in those days - fun stuff

Comment

> Robinson was also a starter on UCLA's basketball team and as I recall led the old PCC in scoring one year<

I believe he did that both of the years he played hoops for UCLA.

Comment

I thought T&FN (particularly EGH) had done as much as possible to dispel the myths about Wilt Chamberlain's track prowess. Today I came across what must be the source for much of the misinformation.

"[One hundred] collegiate offers are reported made to Wilt Chamberlain, all around star from Pennsylvania. Wilt is 17, stands 7-1, weighs 220, is said to have broken 49 and 2 minutes, holdes the Pa. H.S. record at 54-9 for the 12 lb. shot and has done 48 ft with the 16. Old time sprinter Marty Glickman says Wilt would be the greatest decathlon man ever. He has another year of school."

This was written BEFORE his senior year in high school. Wilt didn't compete in track his junior year. So we are supposed to believe these marks are from his sophomore year in 1953. Bunk, and more bunk!

The article quoted is from page 10 of the September 1954 issue of . . .

Track & Field News. Oops.

Comment

You may be right, dj, but I have a recollection of reading some very similar information (or mis-information)in Sport magazine at about the same time or maybe during his senior year in HS.

Comment

This being inserted in all Wilt threads, in hopes of stifling the never-ending BS about his career. Check out facts from gh and dj on this thread:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... read=10792

Comment

Just to summarize the above links: Wilt while an accomplished track star in diverse events also served on 3 olympic volleyball teams in the 60s as the "ace striker", and according to the olympic coaches own words "the gold medals would never have been won without he and future Magnum PI star Tom Sellecks standout talents".

Unfortunately Jackie Robinson was not nearly as talented an athlete but by determination and perseverance managed to eek out an existence in baseball.

>This being inserted in all Wilt threads, in hopes of stifling the never-ending
              >BS about his career. Check out facts from gh and dj on this
              >thread:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... jsp?forum=
              >&thread=10792
              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

>Just to summarize the above links: Wilt while an accomplished track star in
                >diverse events also served on 3 olympic volleyball teams in the 60s as the
                >"ace striker",>>

What lunacy is this?

Comment

>What lunacy is this?

Hey... Garry is there no room for levity... it is good to be the bible of the sport that is for sure but it is friday!
                  ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Working...
                  X