• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• paulthefan
    replied
    Re: Jackie Robinson And Wilt Chamberlain

>What lunacy is this?

Hey... Garry is there no room for levity... it is good to be the bible of the sport that is for sure but it is friday!

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

>Just to summarize the above links: Wilt while an accomplished track star in
    >diverse events also served on 3 olympic volleyball teams in the 60s as the
    >"ace striker",>>

What lunacy is this?

Leave a comment:

• paulthefan
    replied

Just to summarize the above links: Wilt while an accomplished track star in diverse events also served on 3 olympic volleyball teams in the 60s as the "ace striker", and according to the olympic coaches own words "the gold medals would never have been won without he and future Magnum PI star Tom Sellecks standout talents".

Unfortunately Jackie Robinson was not nearly as talented an athlete but by determination and perseverance managed to eek out an existence in baseball.

>This being inserted in all Wilt threads, in hopes of stifling the never-ending
    >BS about his career. Check out facts from gh and dj on this
    >thread:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... jsp?forum=
    >&thread=10792

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

This being inserted in all Wilt threads, in hopes of stifling the never-ending BS about his career. Check out facts from gh and dj on this thread:

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/tfn/di ... read=10792

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

You may be right, dj, but I have a recollection of reading some very similar information (or mis-information)in Sport magazine at about the same time or maybe during his senior year in HS.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

I thought T&FN (particularly EGH) had done as much as possible to dispel the myths about Wilt Chamberlain's track prowess. Today I came across what must be the source for much of the misinformation.

"[One hundred] collegiate offers are reported made to Wilt Chamberlain, all around star from Pennsylvania. Wilt is 17, stands 7-1, weighs 220, is said to have broken 49 and 2 minutes, holdes the Pa. H.S. record at 54-9 for the 12 lb. shot and has done 48 ft with the 16. Old time sprinter Marty Glickman says Wilt would be the greatest decathlon man ever. He has another year of school."

This was written BEFORE his senior year in high school. Wilt didn't compete in track his junior year. So we are supposed to believe these marks are from his sophomore year in 1953. Bunk, and more bunk!

The article quoted is from page 10 of the September 1954 issue of . . .

Track & Field News. Oops.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied

> Robinson was also a starter on UCLA's basketball team and as I recall led the old PCC in scoring one year<

I believe he did that both of the years he played hoops for UCLA.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

... now that you mention the House brothers - I think there were two and John didn't LJ. SS march to finals included finishing in top 1, 2 or 3 in your league champs (depending on league - they had a system based on something - school sized likely- but can't remember exactly.) Then next week you went to quarter finals - top 2 or 3 in your heat, then to semis - top two I think - to qualify for finals/champs. Semis were often held at same place as champs - normally Cerritos or MSAC. Big Big (packed) crowds.

School my older bros went to had Steve Caminiti and the next year they had a 9.5 guy, who ran 9.6 in league champ and got 2nd. They (Crespi) had a pretty good 'run' there for 10 yrs or so, in numerous events. Caminiti ran a 13.7 and 18.1 and was smoked (by a .10th in HH snd some more in LH) by Earl McCollough in CIF finals - a much anticipated showdown. Both were natl record holders with identical HH and LH times, with McCollough recording those times in bigger meets. McCollough was one of my favorite (and a marque -sp) runners - silky smooth and big white socks - pretty impressive on a warm night in late May early June. Lots of natl caliber guys in those days - fun stuff

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

I had a friend who ran consistent sub-10 second 100 yd times and anchored all the sprint relay teams where I went to college in the early 1960's. He was a little, cross-eyed white guy who had graduated from Pasadena Muir and claimed he never got to run on ANY relay teams in high school... too slow. On the subject of Muir athletes, weren't there two House brothers... one a sprinter, the other a long jumper?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Although John Muir H.S. was clearly "speed city" from the 30's through the late 80's, the league they belonged to much of that time (Foothill League) also produced some other great sprinters e.g.: Frank Wykoff, Glendale H.S., state champion 100yd. & 220yd 1927, Bobby Poynter Pasadena H.S. 9.5 100yd & 20.8 220yd, 1956 State Champion, Forest Beatty, Glendale Hoover early 60's 9.4 100yd, 20.2 220yd straightaway, Ralph Turner, John Burroughs, Burbank 9.5 & 20.6 (same year as Beatty) all produced great results. Add to them the host of Muir sprinters over time, especially the several in the 30's and you had one powerhouse league for the sprints. As I recall one of the early 1960 years had 4-5 guys run 9.6 or better in the 100yd and only the top 3 finishers in the league finals advanced to the Southern Section prelims.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Muir - yep. Team a SoCal legend as well as the hoards of sprinter - seemingly year after year after year. One of my earliest track memories was watching John House run a 9.2w - He won by 80 yards ... HA. Not a 'pretty runner' and a decent LJr to if memory serves. As that skinny distance guy I was warming up for my race in a 'CIF' semi-final (qualifying) meet at Chaffey College (again if memory) I stood next to the LJ pit when Jerry Proctor jumped 25 somethin. Electricity and another embedded track memory. He was the dominant athlete that year-a lithe 'man among boys.' The noise among the athletes throughout the year was that he was world record material - THAT yr. pre Beamon.

4x1 and 4x2s were always always ... well you know. Centennial and Compton were 'contendas'. Adrenaline dripped everywhere. Exciting meets. CIF-SS champ marks were almost always superior to state meet marks. Although Mel Gray and Dave Masters lit em up that yr.

Leave a comment:

• MDC
    replied

Another tidbit or two on Mack Robinson. Perhaps the reason that Mack became such an outstanding track athlete is that he was barred from contact sports. A heart murmur was detected in Mack at Washington Junior High and school officials banned him from sports. Realizing how little else her boys had going for them, Mack's mother gave in to his pleading and asked the school to let him play. She had to sign a waiver, and contact sports were barred. Had he been allowed to play all the sports like his brother, he may have ventured away from track as well. And I can't imagine how difficult it must have been to play second fiddle to Jesse Owens in '36 and then later to brother Jackie.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

The definitive ATFS world lists as published by Potts & Quercetani go through 9.7 and 21.3 for both 37 and 38 and there's no sign of Robinson (just his brother).

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

What did I start?

Answer to Garry Hill: You're right Bill Russel only jumped 6'9 1/4" (actually I thought it was 6'9 3/4" but didn't want to quibble about 1/4". How wrong I was with a photographic memory like yours.

Answer to No One: 1. The high school you refer to as the sprint HS was John Muir of Pasadena, CA. As I recall back in the 30's they had numerous California State Champions, none of which were the Robinson brothers. Even in the 50's and 60's they had plenty of top rated sprinters and hurdlers including Jerry Proctor mentioned in several other threads 2. The only Bonds brothers/sister I am aware of from the 60's era are Robert, Bobby and Rosie. If there was a Bob I've never heard of him.

Answer to Billthedog: The sprint records on the board at Pasadena back in 1959 were clearly Jackie Robinson. I was aware of Mack Robinson's status as an Olympic medalist at the time so I thought it might have been a mistake. As I recall I discounted it because the sprint times were the same year as the long jump (1938 I believe). Mack Robinson was several years older than Jackie and I didn't think he would have gone back to Pasadena CC and run for them 2 years after his Olympic medal in 1936. But who knows? Stranger things have happened. Maybe Garry Hill can set this one straight.

Leave a comment:

• billthedog
    replied

jwetter wrote "I played basketball and was a
    >lousy high jumper at Los Angeles Pierce Junior
    >College in '57-'59 and one of our conference
    >rivals was Pasadena CC. I was amazed when we went
    >there to play basketball and I saw on their
    >sports honors board their school records for
    >track and field and there was Jackie Robinson's
    >name with school records of 9.6 (100yd), 21.2
    >(220yd) and 25'6" (long jump)."

I'm happy to have jwetter's agreement as to Jackie Robinson's greatness as an athlete. But I'll bet those sprint records he saw on the Pasadena CC honor roll belonged to Mack. I can't find Jackie on the sprint world list (and 9.6 and 21.2 were world class times) for any relevant year.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X