Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could Hart have beaten Borzov?

I know this question has been beaten to the ground for decades, but I haven't had an opportunity to ask the experts what they think, so Im' asking now Could Eddie Hart have beaten Valerie Borzov in the Munich 100 meter final? Number 2 question, could Gart have beaten Borzov in the 200 meter final at Munich? What would it have taken? Meaning a better than average start, finish, etc.

Re: Could Hart have beaten Borzov?

First off, the 200 question is completely academic as Hart was not on the 200 team. And I do not remember if he even ran the 200 at the FOT.

As to the 100, the answer to that is greatly influenced by Borzov's performance in the 200.

He ran 20.00 ( 20 flat electronically ) and as the headline in T&FN's Olympic Issue said, "Complete, Total Control" or something like it. He was clearly the best runner on the track, and won breezing over a full field.

So we will never know, but my intuition says that Borzov would still have won the 100.

Comment

Could he? Yes. Would he? I doubt it.

As for the 200, Hart didn't even run the heats at the USOT. He wasn't a 200 runner except while in college when he ran for additional points.

The 9.9s Hart and Rey Robinson ran in the Eugene Trials were probably overvalued by Americans. The Eugene timers back then were quick with the watches, and even though there wasn't auto timing at that meet, subsequent meets bore this out. Steve Williams's 9.8 in the '75 AAU at Hayward Field was a 10.19; this was not an aberration for Eugene.

Granted, Borzov beat Robert Taylor (3rd at the USOT in 10.0) by only 0.10 seconds, but Borzov ran his 10.14 with hands up over at least the last five meters, almost coasting at the finish and certainly not driving through.

Borzov was a great sprinter, something many Americans seem reluctant to admit, particularly since we didn't get a chance to see him head-to-head with Hart.

I'll let others take up the 4x1 anchor. Whatever is said on that, remember that Borzov was a very good starter, better than Hart or Robinson.

Comment

No, I don't believe Hart ever ran as fast as Borzov F.A.T.. And he was not as good over 200 as 100. Don't think he was on the US team in 200m in 72.

Comment

Given the fact that Hart (and Robinson for that matter) was very inconsistent during 1972, I don't think so.

At least one of them would probably have beaten Taylor though ,and given Borzov a much closer race. Sub 10,10 ???

Comment

T&FN's World Rankings addressed the issue. They said Borzov "would have been tough to beat anywhere, anytime" in 1972. And Hart wasn't even #2 in the rankings that year -- Robinson was.

Comment

You mean Taylor - Taylor was ranked No. 2 in 1972. Hart was third. No way Hart would have won the gold. Borzov ran 10.07 in the heats and 10.14 in the final, both on cruise control. Borzov didn't do his reputation any good in the relay, however. Rather than try to challenge Hart, he was content to bring the Soviets home second, even throwing his arms up at the finish.

Comment

My mistake. Yes, it was Taylor.

As far as the 200 goes, Borzov ran a WR of sorts. It was the fastest 200m around a turn at sea level with FAT.

Comment

Yes I realize Hart did not run the 200 in Munich, Black 2nd, Burton 4th and C. Smith 5th. Im' going by the fact that Hart was ranked 4th in the U.S. that year and he seemed to have a big finish. I pretty much agree that Borzov would have beaten Hart too. That would have looked better for him to beat the best. Borzov's 200 was impressive. Black had Borzov by at least 2 meters going into the straightaway and Borzov shifted into another gear and flew past him.

Comment

I belive in the 200 final Black drew lane 1 (that's another story), led into the straight, but said he used too much energy running the curve? Borzov was just a superior sprinter in that era. Steve Williams was probably the most talented sprinter of that era, but always injured when it counted.
                    trivia? What do Steve Williams and Martin McGrady have in common?

Comment

I don't have this kind of resource material w/ me here in Switzerland (you know, that desert coutry in the middle of Europe), but I think if you check Hart was actually lucky to make it to the FOT final. Or advance in some other round. He was indeed inconsistent.

Comment

Aflat out guess on what they have in common is they both were from NY City ?

Comment

gh is right about Hart advancing to the OT final in '72. He was fourth in the first semi, with four advancing.

I(+4.7mph)--1. Ray Robinson 9.9; 2. Norbert Payton 9.9; 3. Warren Edmonson 9.9; 4. Hart 9.9; 5. Willie Deckard 9.9; 6. Steve Riddick 10.0; 7. Mel Pender 10.1; 8. Harrington Jackson 10.1.

No camera to sort it out, and I don't remember how close Deckard was. But with a pack like that, it could have been fairly easy to make a mistake and drop Hart to fifth.

Comment

What do Williams and McGrady have in Common? Both were world ranked in their respective events yet could not make the Olympic team due to injuries?

Comment

Williams and McGrady trivia. The angle I was thinking of was they both had the same coach. Remember who?

Comment

Working...
                              X