Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M.Jordan and long jumping.............

So we have all seen the from the free throw line dunk. Im wondering what kind of lj that would have been. im "guessing" 26' .

I'd be very surprised if it were even 24' - remember that the ball is way above him in this trajectory. He took a few running steps from mid-court to do it - he was NO where near a sprint. On the other hand, with a Tellez, he SHOULD have been another Conley at least.

Comment

so if he were to train for the event and of course sprint then what?

Comment

27'-28'/56'-58'

Comment

i think he could have been quite a high jumper. any thoughts on that?

Comment

anything he wanted to !

vertical ht. is probably more important than speed ( powell was no when it came to speed - but he got a monumental angle that jump )

jordan at 6'6 (cf powell's 6'2-6'3), slimmed down to lj-appropriate-wt. ( keeping enough muscle ) with an almost unmatched vertical ht. couda jumped outta the pit !

Comment

I concur on the estimate of a 24 foot jump on Jordan's typical dunks from the free throw line and on his 27-28 foot long jump potential.. in fact, I suspect the NBA has a number of 28 foot potential guys squandering their talent and wasting their time earning a few $Million playing basketball six months a year.

Dunking from the free throw line is certainly crowd pleasing but consider, it is only 15 feet to the basket. A 6-5, long limbed dunker only has to elevate about 2 feet and that occurs 12 feet from the line.

Comment

what about high jumpers in the nba?

Comment

Originally posted by pv22'
                  what about high jumpers in the nba?
                  they'd have to lose too much wt ( & that inevitably means muscle mass ) to be viable threats

then again, if you know any 6'8 beanpoles...

Comment

how about kevin garnett?

Comment

I agree with you completely tafnut, his approach was less then a sprint with minimal running room. We also need to remember that off all the basketball players that have dunked from the free throw line, MJ was the closest to the rim when he completed his dunk. Most of the athletes that have jumped from the free throw line were reaching for the rim and fully extending their arms upon completion of the dunk. MJ had a couple where his head/shoulder were sort of close to the rim.

On top of his jumping ability, Jordan's work ethic was amazing in basketball and baseball. His work ethic when he played for Birmingham was more intense then any of his team mates. They were supposed to be the young and hungry ones, Jordan was already a multi millionaire (true he was under a microscope and that is usually good motivation). He was the first at the ball park and the last to leave. I believe that if he applied himself in the same manner to the long jump, he would have achieved tafnuts predictions and maybe surpassed them.

Comment

Jordan, Garnett and others. These are examples of outstanding athletes that potentially could have been big in T&F, but excelled in sports with a much higher profile and income potential. Jordan specializing in the long jump? My guess is that he would have definitely turned some head. Records?? Who knows. . . .

Comment

Vince Carter could have been world class. He jumped over Frederick Weiss the most amazing feat I have ever seen on a basketball court...........

Comment

I think the HJ is the most likely event for BBers, MJ included. Not many BBers have the <10.2 speed required for 27' LJing.

What about other events? Like the 400m or 800m? I mean, we're talking about big, long-striding guys...

Comment

Originally posted by slowcoach
                              I think the HJ is the most likely event for BBers, MJ included. Not many BBers have the <10.2 speed required for 27' LJing.

What about other events? Like the 400m or 800m? I mean, we're talking about big, long-striding guys...
                              don't get to hung up on the speed of lj'ers - it's virtually impossible to harness it fully ( otherwise you'd have seen the likes of King & dwight regularly over 29', maybe even 30' ! )

a guy like lutz went over 28' & didn't look that quick ( i'm sure the elite b'ballers aren't far off him in speed ), but he had a great angle ( maybe = to vertical ht. for our purposes )

more than 1 way to skin a cat & great angle/vertical jump can compensate for inferior speed

Comment

Working...
                              X