Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time to debunk the Wilt Chamberlain and David Thompson stories.

See http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/discus ... hp?t=10792 for a long discussion on Chamberlain.

As for Thompson, I don't believe the story about a 26-foot jump for an instant. Thompson was a member of the NC State track team. He was a triple jumper, not just any triple jumper, but good enough to hold the school record. But, . . .
    that school record was a shade under 50-6, and the school record in the long jump was under 24-8 at the time, and he didn't have it. He wasn't even good enough in his BEST event to win an ACC championship or score in the NCAA championships.

You can't convince me that someone who could pop a 26-footer wouldn't have had the long jump as his primary event at a time when most 26-footers would score at the NCAA. And yet he wasn't. He was a triple jumper showing far less ability than the equivalent of 26-foot in the LJ. Even just fooling around for points, the kind of talent ascribed to him with this 26-foot nonsense would have set a school record of at least 24-8. It didn't happen.

Comment

"- now the baller's legendary vertical jumping ability comes into it - heike & mj were "flat" jumpers, relying on speed - a baller with great vertical ability woud probably go at least 2 or 3 degrees better on the angle & if i recall, each 1 degree adds ~ 20cm to the jump ( i'll have to check later )"

I have a feeling MJ's vertical was better than most bballers' and she still could get no height at high speeds, having great trouble converting runaway speed into take-off speed. I think this is a prime example of just how specialized you have to be, talent wise, to reach the top in any sport or dicipline.

To find "hidden" talents among athletes from other sports we would do better to look below the elite level, but that wouldn't be as much fun.

Comment

I don't buy the Thompson story either, particularly since he actually did turn out for track once, and TJed, and as I recall hit all of 49-11. (TJ, just to clarify :-)

Comment

I feel I should respond to the doubters since I spread the David Thompson story. You make great arguments and I would probably agree with you if it were a point-counterpoint debate based on the info. you gave versus "what some guy said he saw." However, the guy who related the story was not a real story-telling kind of guy and gave specifics of the jump. He was also a knowledgable track guy who would know the difference of the significance between 23' & 26'. So, I have now defended my source, but feel you are probably right.[/quote]

Comment

Want to confirm that David Thompson was a triple jumper on the NC ST track team for at least one year, and made US list.
            Emmit Smith ran some indoor track meets for UofFlorida, was very average, even at 55m.
            James White hj'ed (not lj) for UofFlorida, even winning Fl Relays at about 7-2. Tranferred to Cincy as he was not getting any playing time in basketball. Believe he won Drake Relays lj with windy 26-0.

Comment

MJ - Long Jump

MJ projection - 24' 8"

I didn't have the enthusiasm to read all 79 posts prior to this one - I only read the first few. I have some thoughts on this. 1) MJ's approach to the free throw line was longer than only from half-court (however, it was still not a full run-up - I'll give you that). 2) We know he was "relatively" quick - lead the league in steals a few years if memory serves correct. 3) Just how fast was he? (If somebody had some stats and I missed it, then I'm sorry). I tend to think that MJ had decent speed (in the T&F sense) but nothing that would be very impressive. 4) MOST IMPORTANT - SPEED. Without impressive T&F speed he would not be able to compete with world class jumpers. Speed at take-off is the single most important factor, and I just don't think MJ had that. Note: This is not to underestimate the importance of vertical lift, nor the importance of converting speed into vertical lift. Bottom Line - I don't believe MJ had all the tools for that event. There exist many good high jumpers that can dunk the hell out of a basketball yet are not great long jumpers, even if they practiced.

Now, the HJ, that may (emphasize "may") be a different story. Great vertical lift, coordination, and body awareness. That's the event where his potential would be. With practice, I do believe 7' is a given, but to say 7' 8" or even 7'6"...well...I just don't know. And then there's his size - he would make a pretty "thick" high jumper.

Comment

leap/speed correlation

not to be pedantic here, but given any indvidiual in good shape, can't standing vertical leap and speed be correlated? is it even possible to be an average speed elite vertical leaper, or an elite sprinter with average vertical leap?

i don't have numbers either way (that's why i'm asking for some) but from everything i've read, the two can be correlated very closely (i.e. 9 times out of 10 a group of athletes can be similarly ranked top to bottom in their measured standing vertical leaps and measured speed.. say, 100y or 100m)

Comment

Re: leap/speed correlation

Originally posted by basehead617
                  not to be pedantic here, but given any indvidiual in good shape, can't standing vertical leap and speed be correlated? is it even possible to be an average speed elite vertical leaper, or an elite sprinter with average vertical leap?

i don't have numbers either way (that's why i'm asking for some) but from everything i've read, the two can be correlated very closely (i.e. 9 times out of 10 a group of athletes can be similarly ranked top to bottom in their measured standing vertical leaps and measured speed.. say, 100y or 100m)
                  yes, but then you put explosive athletes like world class shot putters into the mix and that messes everything up. that is part of the argument with jordan. he was explosive, but his basketball phisique wasnt necessarily conducive to lj, or say, the 100meters. but yeah, i would pretty much take him in any sport that he put his mind to, even though it is fairly apparent that he was born to be the GOAT basketballer if you read his book.

Comment

How to add 11 inches (or more!) to your vertical leap in less than 3 weeks!!!

http://www.net850.com/jump-high.html

Comment

Imagine what MJ could do if these where around in his prime!

Comment

Where can I find the DJ article on Chamberlain (referenced above)?

Comment

Working...
                        X