Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Borzov, Hart & Robinson again...

I thought Borzov never met Hart or Robinson during 1972, but I just saw a picture (New York Times) of the following men lining up for a pre-oly race in Munich (august 15); Borzov (1st in 10,14), Lennox Miller (2nd in 10,24), Gerd Wucherer (3rd in 10,37), Klaus Ehl (4th in 10,42) AND (!) Rey Robinson and Greek ace Papageorgopoulos.
    The paper does not give Robinsons result ( dnf ?, 5th ?)
    Does anyone have the results from this meet ? Other results than the 100 would be highly appreciated to !

Falken

Can't find any details of that race anywhere, but I bet Iknow a man who can...

Over to you Rob?

Comment

i have just checked athletics weekly for sept 30 1972 which carry results for this meet.
      in the 100 it just has Borzov winning in 10.1 from Miller in 10.2. AW at the time usually had a bit more detail than that.
      other meet highlights;
      400 Newhouse 45.5 Asati 45.8....Akii-Bua 4th 46.2
      3000 sc Jipcho 8;27.2 [rec] Biwott 8;30.8 Keino 8;32.8
      TJ Saneyev 17.25
      SP Woods 21.16 Oldfield 20.89

on day 2 16August;
      110H Milburn 13.5
      if i get chance i will check TFN later to see if they have more depth in that 100

Comment

Dear George,
        I appreciate your effort. Perhaps someone out there has an old copy of german paper "Leichtathletik" wich I'm sure would solve the problem

F.

Comment

All i can add is that 5th in that race (round 7) was Felix MATA (VEN) in 10.50 electric time (source Temps Automatiques 1932-1982 by J-C. Patinaud who compilled all performances at 10.50 and under).

Comment

Slight delay from the last posting on this one. 6th in that race was Gebre (ETH) 11.04 - perhaps Rey Robinson missed getting to the start. To be accurate none of the Americans competed in any of the 7 sections of the 100 that day. Robinson edged Taylor in 10.3 in Viareggio 4 days earlier, while Gerald Tinker ran 10.3 (behind Mennea 10.2) in another race, and Hart ran 10.2 (behind Crawford 10.2) n a third race

Comment

Originally posted by rhymans
              Slight delay from the last posting on this one. ace
              I'd hate to see a long delay.

Comment

Then there's the time the USA met the USSR in a 4x1. Borzov and US anchorman Robert Taylor started off dead even (Hart handing off to Taylor) would you believe Taylor hit the tape first?

Comment

I suppose they got the names (Robinson) wrong...the text says
                  "from left Papageorgopoulos, Wucerer, Borzov, Lennox Miller, Ray (Yes rAy!) Robinson and Felix Mata
                  Printer eroor?

F

Comment

Imagine the money that Hart and Robinson would make today by missing their heats... millions could follow that kind of misfortune.
                    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

A long delay - well that's like the time that Danie Joubert ran 9.4 for 100 yards to equal the world record - that was in 1931 - the mark was submitted to the IAAF and approved ... in 1947

Comment

Originally posted by Texas
                        Then there's the time the USA met the USSR in a 4x1. Borzov and US anchorman Robert Taylor started off dead even (Hart handing off to Taylor) would you believe Taylor hit the tape first?
                        Very easy to believe Taylor winning. But the part about the 3 cccp tomato cans preceding Borzov equaling the 3 Americans preceding Taylor is, and this is an understatement, far fetched .

raises the question of what was the best soviet 4x1. Certainly the 1988 team that got gold in the absence of the USA ranks high. That team did have capable runners at each leg, none near the equal of a Borzov, but quarter to semifinal quality runners. Their third leg in particular, Muryavov (sp) could have equaled a US leg.
                        ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
                          Very easy to believe Taylor winning. But the part about the 3 cccp tomato cans preceding Borzov equaling the 3 Americans preceding Taylor is, and this is an understatement, far fetched .

raises the question of what was the best soviet 4x1. Certainly the 1988 team that got gold in the absence of the USA ranks high. That team did have capable runners at each leg, none near the equal of a Borzov, but quarter to semifinal quality runners. Their third leg in particular, Muryavov (sp) could have equaled a US leg.
                          I saw the race. Borzov and Taylor got the stick even. There's even a picture of this in T&FN.

Comment

I saw the race. Borzov and Taylor got the stick even. There's even a picture of this in T&FN.
                            I dont know if "getting the stick even" in a given race means that they were even, the CCCP team would have planned for a very early transfer in zone for Borzov.

In the Munich 4x1 final the USA has almost a 3m lead coming out of the 3rd leg despite being stuck in lane 1 (a tight turn in munich).. Borzov makes ground but not enough. He was great but he was not Bob Hayes. The US team sets a new WR, remarkable considering the lane and track they were on.

To repeat this is not to say that Taylor was not a mega talent capable of beating anyone on any given day. Simply that I doubt that a 4x1 between the CCCP and the USA is a good indicator of Borzov's fitness relative to Taylor.

Comment

unfortunately for taylor, he didn't hit he tape 1st in individual 100 in munich...

Comment

Working...
                              X