Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who made the Olympic 100 final who later starred on TV?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct last name is Connors.

Comment

And correct first name is Chuck :-)

Comment

Kevin Joseph Aloysius "Chuck" Connors played for the Brooklyn Dodgers and Chicago Cubs in the major leagues in 1949/51, appearing in 67 games; he also played for the Boston Celtics and Rochester Nationals in 1946-48 in the NBA. He is often considered to have been the first to break a backboard on a dunk - he was 6-7 (2.00).

Comment

There is no way Chuck Connors was 6'7''.
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
            There is no way Chuck Connors was 6'7''.
            The Boston Celtics web site says he was 6'7". But imdb, baseball-reference, and baseball-almanac all say he was 6'5".

Comment

NBA player height listings are notoriously inaccurate. Wilt was listed as 7'2" for years but insisted in the press that he was 7'1/2". Allen Iverson is listed at 6'0" but is more like 5'10".

cman

Comment

I believe Wilt insisted he was 6-11 15/16,or the like. He hated the stigma of being a 7-footer, thinking it was a reason for people to say "it's only because of his height."

My personal assessment after multiple times in his presence was 7-2 or 7-3.

Comment

OK, OK...The Big Dipper is a lousy example. I shoulda known better than to use him as an example in the numbers game. Regardless, NBA stats tend to inflate player heights other than Wilt's or Muggsy Bogues'.

cman

Comment

I don't know what to think about that NBA stuff. Bob Cousy is on the very same page as Connors (because their names both begin with C) and his height is listed as 6'1". I have stood next to Cousy and I thought he was at least 6'2".

Comment

Re: Chuck Connors

My dad who was 6'2" took me to a Los Angeles Angels (PCL) vs. Hollywood Stars game in the late 40's or early 50's and introduced me to Chuck Connors. Connors was easily a good 4-5" taller than my dad.

It really impressed me because in 1951 dad introduced me to Tom Fears the L.A. Rams All Pro (NFL Hall of Fame) receiver. Fears was supposedly 6:2" and he and my father were nearly the same height. That's one of the things that made by realize how tall Connors was.

Comment

Working...
                      X