Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alem Techale died one year ago today

For those who may not know, this was Kenenisa Bekele's fiance' and a former world youth champion over 1500. Just thought it deserved mentioning.

Re: Alem Techale died one year ago today

Originally posted by bekeselassie
    For those who may not know, this was Kenenisa Bekele's fiance' and a former world youth champion over 1500. Just thought it deserved mentioning.
    Good call. What a roller coaster year for Bekele.

Comment

Yes, since hearing about her death I've wondered how a young, extremely fit person could die of a heart ailment.... anyone know any details?

Comment

Originally posted by LynnRunner
        Yes, since hearing about her death I've wondered how a young, extremely fit person could die of a heart ailment.... anyone know any details?
        Congenital defect of some sort I presume. It's not that uncommon among athletes. There was a basketball player recently and I've heard of soccer players having heart attacks on the field too. Unfortunately being fit and strong will not help in these cases.

Comment

we had this about one year ago. we asked for an autopsy and none was done. we as scientists should learn from these experiences. and no it is not against custom as was said by some at that time.
          any athlete dying young is horrific, but, by failing to do a proper autopsy we may not lerrn about this case or next case.

Comment

defining "proper autopsy" in Ethiopia isn't quite the same as here. The per capita GDP is about $800, putting the country 219th on a list of 232.

http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/fac ... 4rank.html

What few medical resources they have would be far better triaged into something other than worrying about why one of 80 million (15th most populous country in the world!) keeled over.

Comment

Working...
            X