Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look Who's Forty

Yes, he turns 40 years old today (Thursday). He won two Olympic silver medals in a jumping event. He also won the gold medal in the second world championships in the same jumping event. I never saw him with short hair, but he certainly could jump. Who is the birthday subject today? Hint: He doesn't come from North or South America.

Patrik Sjoberg

Comment

Happy birthday Patrik Sjoberg. Good answer.

Comment

O yeah, you forgot one small detail: He also set a world record ;-)

Jan-Niklas Patrik Sjöberg:

1993 IAAF World Indoor Championships - Silver medal
        1992 Summer Olympics - Silver medal
        1989 IAAF World Indoor Championships - Bronze medal
        1988 Summer Olympics - Bronze medal
        1987 World Championships in Athletics - Gold medal
        1985 IAAF World Indoor Championships - Gold medal
        1984 Summer Olympics - Silver medal

2.42m WR on third attempt on 30-June 1987 in Stockholm.
        The Göteborg star cleared 2.24, 2.32 and 2.35 on his first attempts before moving the bar to 2.42m.

Comment

Oh yeah... what were you doing at 21.28 GMT+1 on Tuesday, 30-June 1987? Stockholm Stadion was filled with anticipation as 22-year-old Patrk Sjöberg jumped history:s highest height without the assistance of a spacecract (:-)). Sjöberg stated to Swedish press that had the bar been at 2.45m (instead of 2.42m), he may also have cleared that height (the 2.42m jump, his third attempt, was not his best attempt, he stated).

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
            Oh yeah... what were you doing at 21.28 GMT+1 on Tuesday, 30-June 1987? )
            Not sure about the time, but on that date I was in a vicious street fight with a couple of Belgrade's lively young adolescents. Most unpleasant.

Party on, Patrik!! Wish he'd got the biggie at the OG.

Comment

Timecapsule...

Comment

During my career on two occaisons I jumped against 17yo's who made me think, "Future WR holder", followed by, "Why bother?"... The first was Patrik and the second was Soto...Patrik was also a really good guy (incl. drinking & smoking!)

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
                  During my career on two occaisons I jumped against 17yo's who made me think, "Future WR holder", followed by, "Why bother?"... The first was Patrik and the second was Soto...Patrik was also a really good guy (incl. drinking & smoking!)
                  thanks for the memories mark. i love hearing about famous people who are also cool! 8)
                  phsstt!

Comment

I have a problem getting past the smoking guys. Sorry. It's always been a sore spot with me in this case. Smoking isn't cool. Far from it. Maybe he gave it up because he doesn't need it to artificially and chemically keep his weight down anymore. Too bad they don't test for nicotine.

Comment

Comment

Too bad they don't test for nicotine.[/quote]

Who said anything about nicotine?

Comment

Originally posted by MJD
                          I have a problem getting past the smoking guys. Sorry. It's always been a sore spot with me in this case. Smoking isn't cool. Far from it. Maybe he gave it up because he doesn't need it to artificially and chemically keep his weight down anymore. Too bad they don't test for nicotine.
                          Day 7 nicotine free, and suffering no more than if I was undergoing toenail extraction......

I smoked because I'm (was) addicted to nicotine, the thought of it looking or being cool never once entered my head.

If an athlete - or anyone else - smokes whilst not affecting non-smokers, good luck to them - still legal (I'm sure California is nearing a total ban though).

Lorroway, Taurima, Sjøberg, Grant, Cloete, Strong.... all smokers, all bar one jumpers. Still don't know why!

Not flaming (ouch) you mjd, just MHO.

Comment

There was a certain T&FN top-5 list (name, distance withheld) distance runner in 1987-1988 who smoked prior to his xc races... saw him smoke prior to Crystal Springs XC Invite myself. Somehow it "calmed" him down prior to his races... again, he was a list-leader... no idea if he "didn:t inhale". Something about smoking calmed him like hard rock calmed Marc Davis before Kinney Regionals/Nationals.

Note: The relationship between this person and Marc Davis being mentioned is purely coincidental and should not be taken to insinuate that Marc Davis smokes (smoked), for I have absolutely zero idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Vern
                              Lorroway, Taurima, Sjøberg, Grant, Cloete, Strong.... all smokers, all bar one jumpers. Still don't know why!

Not flaming (ouch) you mjd, just MHO.
                              Hardly a flame. You are making my point. I didn't say they smoked to be cool. They smoked it for other reasons. Others said it was cool. I am assuming that is a rhetorical comment up there.

Comment

Working...
                              X