Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ranking of Men's WR's

I will repeat it here, then go home from work and let the rest of you fool around with it:

Rank your top 10 current WR's. I say Johnson's 19.32 heads the list. Or if you are really crazy, rank 'em all !

Re: Ranking of Men's WR's

I agree that MJ's 19.32 is the best men's WR.

For me, #2 is Komen's 7:20.67.

Comment

MJ's 200 is way out there.

I used to think the HJ was out there also, but now I think the event is suffering from some kind of slump. It seems to have stagnated. For all the press Sotomayer has, and being the first to bust 8 ft., I think that Zhu Jianhua probably had more talent. Remember him soaring over 7'10" with lousy form? There are a number of talented guys out there, but I think the record in this event is now soft.

The TJ record (Edwards) is my choice for the next best or toughest record.

The 800 is a tough one also. Part of the reason it's so tough is (I think) a lot of 1500 guys that could blaze in the 800 stick with the 1500 these days (money?) unlike the guys back in the day, who would run both, double.

After these, it's hard for me to rank the other events. Probably not hard for some other guys out there. I have too many questions swirling in my track addled brain.

Comment

1)3:26.00 1500 by el gerrouj.

-i'm going to say that this record will probably not be broken within the next 10 years.

2&3)mj's 200 and 400(43.18)are right up there as well.

4)12:39.36 5000 by gebrselassie.

5)7:58.61 3200 by komen.

Comment

MJ's 19.32 will last 20 years.

A 19.99 still opens eyes! That's how good MJ's is.

Komen's 3200 is astonishing, but it won't get contested as MJ's will.

Comment

KY's 46.78 has to be in the top 10.

Comment

I was going to mention Bubka's 6.15 meter 20'2" vault and the fact that he has the top 10 vaults of all time, but then it occurred to me that almost all of the men's WR are above and beyond. Perhaps we should ask which is the softest.

My vote goes to the 100m. Guys seem to break this one about every 4 years or so. All it takes is one of the world elite sprinters to get good race conditions and a perfect peak.

Comment

I would posit that the "plethora" of records in the 100 is related as much to technological improvements (surfaces and spikes) in the last decade as much as anything else.

Add in the new false-start rule and I think you may find it a long time before the100 record falls again (unless Gatlin is really as good as I think he might be).

Comment

MJ's 200m will last at least 20 years. The 100m will go within 2 years. Ky's is possibily tainted (considering his & Quincy Jones' subsequent disappearance. They had the same coach, remember). Edwards record could also last 20 years. However, Bubka has to be the best of all time.

How about ranking the womens non-drug records? How many can we be sure were clean? 100 - 10000m...I don't think so.

Radcliffe's 2hr. 15mins was ground and gender-breaking.

Comment

No one has mentioned any throwing records. 75 feet looks awfully far these days, but now they test people . . .

I think the best one isn't on the books anymore. Uwe Hohn's JT record was absolutely stunning. No one else can say that his record made the IAAF change the rules!

Comment

I always thought the guy who broke 1:40 would look a lot like Ed Moses.

Comment

Most of the guys that can run 45 are pure sprinters. To find a guy with the physiogical make up - meaning also having the muscle tissue, cardiovascular system and such to run a great 800, with that speed, is probably more difficult than most people realize. Most sprinters are loaded with fast twitch muscle fiber (I'm simplifying), and not enough slow twitch to 'take up the slack' so to speak.

The runner that will break 1:40 probably looks more like Coe, Kipketer or Borzakovskiy than Ed Moses.

The toughest record right now has to be the 200 by MJ. The next toughest may be the HJ, psychologically.

Comment

Regarding the HJ WR the real barrier is the NBA. Any potential WR breaker is making money in that league and its spin offs.

Comment

No, no NBA guys are the real HJ record holders. Look at the height of most of these guys, then look at them in action on a dunk. Most of them are amazing because they take off ten feet from the basket, but few of them are more than 2, 2-1/2 feet off the ground. All the talk about their 'verticals' is as bogus as football 40 yard times. Few of these guys were over 24 in. without a running start. How do I know? Because I worked on a program back in the late 80's (for NBC) on 'Black Athletes' and one of the things measured was true vertical leaping ability. (Interesting note, Michael Jordan always refused to have his vertical leaping ability tested, no matter who was doing the tests) Anyway, the info and such we gathered ended up not being used, but it was an eye opener. Most of these guys are bigger than you think they are, in terms of their weight. They are too heavy to be high jumpers.

Comment

Didn't a track guy (was it Mike Conley?) win a number of slam dunk contests against NBA types?

Comment

Working...
                              X