Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Silver in Montreal

Our birthday boy today (Monday) won a silver medal in the 1976 Montreal Olympic Games. He turns 52 years old this day. An American won the gold in this field event. The silver medalist later wrote a book with the word "Free" in the title of the book. Who is our birthday subject today?

Comment

Wolfgang Schmidt?
      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Wolfgang Schmidt is 52 today. You got it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
          He is also the only athlete (I can think of) who has competed separately for both the DDR and (subsequently) the BRD (GDR and FRG).
          Remember J├╝rgen May ?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
              Forgot about him!

Probably because when he first competed in Tokyo, it was still a combined German Team (no separate GDR & FRG teams)
              how on earth did west & east germany manage to agree upon the composition of a "3 competitor/event" team as late as '64 ???

i'da thought they woudn't have been able to agree upon a team for '48 let alone '64 !!!

Comment

I believe North and South Korea will field one team for the Beijing Olympics in two years.

Comment

silver in Montreal

As a corollary to Rob's note on Jurgen May - he DID compete for the GDR - at the 1966 Europeans. He would have competed for FRG in the 1969 Europeans, but the GDR complained - May was barred from competing, and the entire FRG team withdrew in protest !

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                    i'da thought they woudn't have been able to agree upon a team for '48 let alone '64 !!!
                    GDR and FRG didn't even exist in 1948 - Germany was still under the allies' occupation at that time. And Germany was banned from international competition at that time. I imagine the concept of one German team competing without national flags or anthems wasn't their own idea, either.
                    Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Working...
                    X