Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is this runner?

Hello all,
    This isn't a trivia quiz. Rather, it's a question about the attached image, which is a postcard image of a runner crossing the finish line of a race. The postcard was given to me, in the spirit that other athletics-related ephemera have been given to me: Someone who knows me and knows I care about this stuff finds some thing and passes it along. I did not take the additional step of scanning the other side of the postcard, but it is (a) unused and (b) of a design and make that I can very reasonably date to 1907-1915. So ... anyone know or have any idea who/what/where is this scene? Thank you!
    ps. I hope the image uploads OK. (edit: Looks like it did. )
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

I have no idea who this runner is and the photograph doesn't provide a lot of clues. You might be right about your dates, based on the apparel of the spectators, the runner's shoes, and his uniform. This could be a cross country race or even a marathon run. I don't see a lot of evidence of a track. My guess is this photograph was not taken in Asia, Antarctica, South America, or Africa. I'll bet someone else can give more information than I did.

Comment

I suspect it's from the early years of the International Cross Country Championships ....

Comment

Not the Olympics...bib number font is wrong.

Comment

I'm looking through "The Complete History of Cross Country Running", particularly Chapters 6 & 7, which cover that time period. The first International XC Championship (actually, it was Scotland, Wales, Ireland, and England) was held in 1903, but the book has no pictures to accompany the narrative.

Comment

International cross country races never had more than 50-100 runners in a race and his bib number is 301 . There are also definite military guards at finish line with one having a rifle on his shoulder.. I would say more 1920 Olympic Games post WW I era in Antwerp. Stab in the dark would be Scotland runner Jim Wilson who won heat 1 in the 10,000m race and then finished 3 rd to Pavo Nurmi in finals?

Comment

Yes 301 is odd but not necessarily 300 plus runners..the number font is not from the Olympics.

Could be the US Cross country championships...the course doesn't look muddy at all.

Comment

Looks more like a horse racing track.

Comment

This does not appear to be any Olympic Games on the track. Too many spectators that close to the runners and no lane markings indicated something besides the Olympics.

Comment

Now I suspect it is the English National @ 1920... they had 300+ runners and record number of spectators.

Comment

http://www.national.crosscountrycham...rtCC19203S.htm

Comment

That may be the guy. Here are some images of Joseph Guillemot (and some non-Oregon ducks).

https://www.google.com/search?q=jose...Mdz5t48JIk5kLM

Comment

Also won in 1922 on a horse track....includes a cool race video.. but the photo doesn't match...

http://www.national.crosscountrycham...siCC19223S.htm
                          Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-11-2020, 12:57 AM.

Comment

Doubt the photo is of the winner finishing....

Comment

It could be the last place guy during the race..especially since everyone seems to be basically ignoring him.

Comment

Working...
                              X