How Both Know History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Both Know History

Happy birthday today (Thursday) to two Olympic champions both of whom won Olympic gold medals on a Saturday.

These two athletes won Olympic gold medals approximately 60 years apart and were born a total of 160 years ago.

One of our champions was 50 years old when the other person was born.

They did not win Olympic gold in the same event, nor did they compete in the Olympic hurdles.

You might find it interesting to know that our two birthday athletes were born about 327 miles (526 km) apart.

The older of the two champions was born approximately 4,675 miles (7,494 km) from the Olympic stadium where this person won that gold medal while the younger athlete won Olympic gold about 671 miles (1,080 km) from the site of this person's birth.

That older athlete died at the age of 76 and the younger champion turns 55 today.

I'll bet you can name at least one of these two Olympic champions. Give it a shot.

Those initials hints coupled with some simple algebra bring me to KH = Kenny Harrison, 3J champ in 1996. I'll rest my brain and let someone else deal with the older person.

Comment

Happy 55th birthday today to Kenny Harrison, winner of the 1996 Atlanta Olympic men's triple jump. Kenny Harrison also won the 1991 World Championship triple jump in Tokyo. He was born in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, which is approximately 671 miles from the Atlanta Olympic Stadium. Very good work, dukehjsteve.

Comment

The other one must be HB and much older than Kenny Harrison so I'll guess Harold Babcock

Comment

OK, looked it up and Babcock is incorrect - he's too old. Its a toughie - good luck on this ne

Comment

You're right, bambam1729, Babcock is not the answer.

Comment

I think I literally remember every gold medalist from 1936 except this one.

Comment

This gold medalist from Berlin (1936) is not the most famous athlete from that Olympics (most famous could be Jesse Owens). You may not know that this athlete ran two events in the Berlin Olympic Games. Our birthday athlete did not make the final in this first of those two events, but won Olympic gold in the second event. I mention Jesse Owens for a reason.

Comment

Must have been a member of the US 4x100 team, but I still don't know the answer--haven't looked it up.

Comment

You are right, tandfman. This athlete was a member of the U.S. four by 100 relay team in Berlin.

Comment

From memory wasn't the US 4x100 team that broke 40 seconds Frank Wykoff, Foy Draper, Jesse Owens, Ralph Metcalfe (order?)?

The 4x400 was won by GB with the US not running their best team and none of those were HB (Wolff, Roberts, Rampling, Brown).

Did the US win the women's 4x100? I think the German team set a WR in the heats but failed to finish in the final? I can only recall Helen Stephens myself.
                      Last edited by Trickstat; 02-15-2020, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Yes, the U.S. men ran 39.8 (WR) to win the four by 100 in Berlin. Jesse Owens ran the first leg on that team. Owens also won the 100 in Berlin. You're right, Trickstat, the U.S.also won the women's four by 100 relay (Germany dropped the baton). Helen Stephen's anchored the winning American four by 100 team and she also won the Berlin Olympic 100. The question here is, who ran the first leg (just like Jesse Owens for the men) on this winning women's four by 100 relay at the Berlin Olympic Games?

Comment

The only other member of w4X100 I remember is Annette Rogers, but the initials should be HB, so 2 options remain.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Annette Rogers was fifth in the 1936 Berlin Olympic women's 100 and she took the baton from our birthday athlete on that winning four by 100 relay team for the United States.

Comment

I'll give a hint since its been a few days now. She might need some salt.

Comment

Working...
                              X