Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks DoubleRBar for kind words: Time to play reverse “mystery runner” quiz
    The year I ran my record race was in the same year that my favorite TV show on Sunday night was on when I returned home.. “I have a secret” and Sgt Bilko was the mystery guest that night.

The meet was in its 22nd year.

The record I set was actually two separate records;I broke the record of the previous year’s winner and the other record from the 3rd place runner in the race 2years previous to mine ( that runner broke the national HS record )

some people know already who I am, I think but will email you if you are stuck

Comment

One of the great HS records of all time if you consider when it was done.

Comment

About 6 months ago I was chatting with Mel Watman [co-editor of Athletics International], and Dick Bank, who was a friend of Mel's back in the 1960's, came up in the conversation. During the 1960's and 1970's Dick wrote a series of insightful articles on US track and field. He gave me Dick's phone number, as I was keen to talk with him, and I rang him. After mentioning Mel, he warmed up and we had a good chat about track, and his career since track [as a successful producer of Jazz albums]. Money and drugs had been the cause of his loss of interest in the sport, but he showed great interest both before and after receiving a couple of spare track books. We had a further chat, and while he was 90, a stat which he enjoyed mentioning, his memory of moments in the sport had not dimmed. He'll be missed

Comment

Originally posted by midwestfan View Post
          Thanks DoubleRBar for kind words: Time to play reverse “mystery runner” quiz
          The year I ran my record race was in the same year that my favorite TV show on Sunday night was on when I returned home.. “I have a secret” and Sgt Bilko was the mystery guest that night.

The meet was in its 22nd year.

The record I set was actually two separate records;I broke the record of the previous year’s winner and the other record from the 3rd place runner in the race 2years previous to mine ( that runner broke the national HS record )

some people know already who I am, I think but will email you if you are stuck

What is your email address midwestfan? I have some guesses and want to send them to you. Thanks very much.

Comment

Originally posted by catson52 View Post

Sounds like the type of person I would have loved to meet. ..
            not meaning in any way to speak ill of the dead (Dick and I had a very good relationship) but he probably wasn't the type of person you'd like to meet. To put it kindly, he didn't suffer fools kindly. And in his case the margin between being somebody worthy of discourse and the great unwashed was microscopically thin. (wait, am I talking about me or him?)

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post

What is your email address midwestfan? I have some guesses and want to send them to you. Thanks very much.
              I must correct some of my texts that infers "I set a record (s). I have always corrected people who would mention my records by stating it was not my record but "our" record and then brag about having best high school track coach in the country who made me run those times. He was a coach ahead of the field when it came to training methods, heart rates and recovery times, sand running, hill running, intervals, long weekend runs. He was a great man as well as a great mentor, teacher, and coach to all he trained.
              Last edited by midwestfan; 02-29-2020, 12:03 PM. Reason: Privacy

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

not meaning in any way to speak ill of the dead (Dick and I had a very good relationship) but he probably wasn't the type of person you'd like to meet. To put it kindly, he didn't suffer fools kindly. And in his case the margin between being somebody worthy of discourse and the great unwashed was microscopically thin. (wait, am I talking about me or him?)
                I never met him but I do remember him....and I couldn't imagine Dick Bank running this message board for more than 2 minutes....

Comment

I didn't want to be the one who started this, but gh nailed it. Enough said.

Comment

Thanks for the extra info. Doesn't change what I had to say. I really bond with people who are willing to speak their mind on occasion. Also those that have detailed knowledge on "esoteric" subjects. A few years back, I had a big argument in San Fran with the curator of an exhibit on Netherlands Art held at the Legion of Honor - and won.

Comment

Reading Larousse Music Encyclopedia some years back, the entry on JS Bach, said he fought with every employer he ever had, adding that he didn't suffer fools gladly. Tough to up one's opinion of the great man, but it raised him to stratospheric levels in my eyes.

Comment

... putting to shame that band of misfits NBC has the audacity to unleash on its viewers.

Comment

Watched the film for the first time in many years. Even for a non US person (then), how infectious is DB's excitement, RIP.

Comment

a few years back, when Tokyo & Mills was a topic of conversation here, Dick found out about it and sent us a letter

https://web.archive.org/web/20150827...1964-race-call
                            If you dont cry a tear reading that,.. friend, please see your cardiologist.

"What went out over the air was not an attempt to fill in commentary. It was a natural reaction, as if I were a spectator. It just so happened there was dead air, so I was easily heard. It has been written that I was giggling with glee. It was more like unrestrained euphoria that quickly became tears."

Comment

Working...
                            X