X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by Conor Dary View Post
    the track at the University of Chicago where UCTC ran meets was dirt...
    I used to go to indoor meets at Yale in the mid-60s, and they had a dank, gritty feel to them with dirt and an old sweat smell everywhere.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Right when the Astrodome was built....so it did have a djian slant to it...great question as usual.

I didn't know about that indoor requirement... the track at the University of Chicago where UCTC ran meets was dirt...
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-27-2020, 04:01 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Atticus nails it, 1962!

The article appeared in the May 1962 issue of T&FN, in the "Jim Dunaway Says" column.

The growth of indoor track was the meets being held in California and the southwest.

The possibility of large indoor arenas was made known in 1960 when Houston was awarded one of the two MLB National League expansion franchises, but with the proviso that Houston build an indoor baseball stadium. Construction on the stadium began in 1962.

The surfaces at the time were cinders/dirt/clay, boards, grasstex, with new sythetic surfaces in development.

One of the long-time oddities of the sport was the requirement that any indoor national record accepted by the AAU must be achieved on a board surface. Field house indoor tracks in the Great Lakes and mid west were much more commonly cinders/dirt/clay, but marks made off those "outdoor" surfaces were ineligible for record consideration.

The extreme effect of these oddities appeared in the Shot Put, where indoor marks must must be made on wood (release AND landing) and the shot was required to have a soft surface, for many years being a leather bag, and much later, a plastic shell.

Leave a comment:

• tandfman
    replied
    I don't think there were domed indoor tracks that early.

Leave a comment:

• Atticus
    replied
    Originally posted by dj View Post
    I think the key clues are "growth of indoor track," "possibility of meets being held in domed all-weather stadia," and "evaluations of the different surfaces."
    That certainly suggests the early 60s (late 50s?), so I'll go 1962.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    I'm right here, just waiting for people to either get a little closer or farther away.

I think the key clues are "growth of indoor track," "possibility of meets being held in domed all-weather stadia," and "evaluations of the different surfaces."

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I'm guessing that's something Bert Nelson wrote in the wake of the first World Indoor, Indy '87.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Where did dj go?

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    The dj double cross....yes I could see that....I still think 1969.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    My first guess has been mentioned twice - mid/late 60s 'cause of the Astrodome, but my horse sense tells me that the A-dome may be too easy of an answer for DJ to have started this thread to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    I'd say around 1969 when the big track was set up in the Astrodome. 352y track....it was a big deal at the time.
    Last edited by Conor Dary; 02-25-2020, 08:46 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Master403
    replied
    I don't know track history nearly as well as others on the board, but I would guess mid-60s, when we had indoor vaults and puts that may have exceeded outdoor marks, but we also had the Astrodome that suggested that a slightly larger dome could accomodate a quarter mile track. So, 1965.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied
    I would say 1951.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    started a topic What Year Was This??

What Year Was This??

I came across this while researching something far different. It comes from the pages of T&FN, but the question (quiz!), is what year was this written?

"With the growth of indoor track, and the possibility of meets being held in domed all-weather stadia, the IAAF should also ask itself this question: What is a world record?

"In the past two years [several field and running events] have produced indoor efforts which surpassed the existing outdoor best.

"Was any advantage derived from the competition being held indoors instead of outdoors? We don't think so . . . and we'd like to see such marks certified to the IAAF for world record consideration, and . . . as American records.

"There are some problems in determining the relative advantages of . . . surfaces. A good first step . . . would be the evaluations of the different surfaces, a job which needs to be done anyway.

"If not signifiant differences are found, then perhaps the words 'World Record' can mean just what they should mean . . . the best-ever performance under fair conditions."

So then, and without researching, the year this was printed?
Working...
X