Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Event

Our "Big Event" for February happened on this date 50 years ago. I can tell you that this world record did not involved the hurdles and it happened less than 600 miles (as the crow flies if he flew in a straight line) from the Track & Field News headquarters. Most of you will not recognize the athlete who set this world record, but it was a remarkable record especially considering the athlete's age. A big hint lies in the fact that this world record was set in February.

Do you know the event, the athlete, and the world record performance? Bonus points if you can name the venue where this record was set 50 years ago today.
    Last edited by DoubleRBar; 03-01-2020, 09:36 PM.

When you say "world record" presumably you mean a performance ratified by the IAAF ? (rather than a "world best" which would be in an event got given record status by the IAAF)

Comment

I must say that this record was set a little farther from the TFN headquarters than I originally reported. I would say less than 600 miles from the TFN headquarters. This particular event is best recorded as a "world best" rather than a record ratified by the I.A.A.F.

Comment

Since nobody seems to guess anything, I'll make a guess, even though I may be in a completely wrong track. But didn't Chi Cheng from Taiwan make some unofficial WRs in about those times?

Comment

You're right, Olli, Chi Cheng did set a world record in the same year as our "Big Event", however Cheng's 100 record was official. I can tell you that this record was not set on a "track" in a stadium.

Comment

I am thinking of a road race in Eugene or Portland

Comment

I was thinking a run across Death Valley.

Comment

Tuariki is pretty close with his Portland guess. I will tell you that this specific event has been held in the Olympic Games for over 35 years. As far as I know, it is ratified by the I.A.A.F. and W.A.
                Last edited by DoubleRBar; 03-02-2020, 05:21 PM.

Comment

Women's marathon? Not sure who would be setting the record. Maybe in Eugene.

Comment

Very good, mcgato. You got the event: the women's marathon. This record was set in Oregon (not Eugene or Portland) in 1970. The time, the athlete, and the site are not easy.

Comment

Well, I cheated and I would be surprised if anyone will remember this runner.

Comment

I think you could be right Tuariki. Here are some major hints as to her name: First name has a connection with the title of the thread for today's birthday athlete. Last name of this world record holder is a name for people in a certain Olympic event (track & field).

Comment

Just to show I am paying attention to this thread, would the last name be Walker? I am still clueless about the event though.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

You got her, Pego. Her last name is Walker. As for her event in 1970, check out posts # 9 and 10 on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuariki View Post
                              Well, I cheated and I would be surprised if anyone will remember this runner.
                              Yeah, I cheated, too. I don't think anyone will know this runner. They may get the name from clues, but doubt anyone remembers her/him

Comment

Working...
                              X