Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Shavlakadze

Robert Shavlakadze, the upset winner of the 1960 Rome high jump, died recently in Tbilisi, Georgia. We don't have an exact DOD yet. If anyone comes up with it, please let me know.

We usually try to get a better source than Wikipedia, although it may certainly be correct

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
      We usually try to get a better source than Wikipedia, although it may certainly be correct
      I would hope so....

Comment

I remember the shocking 1960 OG HJ like it was yesterday. I remember thinking that Shav was one cool looking guy !

Comment

I couldn't believe John Thomas lost (to two Soviet jumpers). Sorry to hear about Shavlakadze's death.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
            Robert Shavlakadze, the upset winner of the 1960 Rome high jump, died recently in Tbilisi, Georgia. We don't have an exact DOD yet. If anyone comes up with it, please let me know.
            wow, somehow he got swept off the western consciousness, likely due to the shock and awe of Brumel. Just watched a few videos of him, he was a fantastic athlete.

Comment

My remembrance of 1960 OG was the hue and cry of the USA "collapse" due to Ray Norton and John Thomas, then the 400 relay snafu. To think we won ONLY 9 golds rather than the 14 in '52 and the '15 in '56. Wow were we ever spoiled !

Comment

and don't forget the bad outing had by hammer favorite Hal Connolly

Comment

You're right about Connolly. He finished in eighth place, but the winner (Vasiliy Rudenkov) was the number one thrower of 1959 and he led all the qualifiers going into the 1960 Rome final. Connolly, on the other hand, had just set the world record about three weeks before the Rome Olympics and he was the defending Olympic champion. A "bad outing" is a good description for Connolly in Rome.

Comment

For me it was all about NZ winning 2 golds on the track within 30 minutes.. Snell followed by Halberg.

Comment

Snell's race was great. To beat Roger Moens (who had been undefeated in 1960) and George Kerr (the NCAA champ in 1959 & 1960) was amazing. What for me was very amazing was that Snell ran three lifetime bests in three days in Rome. I was very lucky to have seen Peter Snell race during his career. As for Murray Halberg, he was a tough runner who refused to give up in that 1960 Rome final. September 2, 1960 was a pretty good day for New Zealand in Italy.

Comment

Working...
                      X