Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rarely Do Doctors Fight

Happy birthday today (Friday) to two Olympic champions with a combined age of 158 years.

Our birthday athletes competed in a total of three Olympic Games and all on different continents.

These two people were born approximately 4,663 miles (7,504 km) from each other and one was 12 years old when the other was born.

Both athletes speak the same language and both set new Olympic records.

If I told you "Michael Douglas", would that help?

No hurdles were involved in either of their two Olympic gold medals.

The older of the two athletes competed in two events at the Olympics while the younger person competed in only one Olympic event.

This quiz is not particularly difficult so please name both birthday athletes for this first Friday of March.

Ron Delany and Dick Fosbury

Comment

Happy 85th birthday to Ron Delany and 73rd birthday to Dick Fosbury. Very good, bambam1729. Of course you know that Delany won the men's 1,500 in Melbourne (1956). He also ran the 800 (didn't make the final) in Rome (1960).

Dick Fosbury won the men's high jump in Mexico City (1968). Some of you may not know that Dick Fosbury and Garry HIll were born not too far from each other and within one week of each other. Both athletes became jumpers at current Pac 12 schools. One was a horizontal jumper while the other took up a vertical jump.

Comment

Not sure how title fits into the two birthday men? I know Delany has an honary doctorate degree from Dublin University but Fosbury ran for a political position which definitely doesn't earn you an honorary Doctorate.

Comment

midwestfan, when DoubleRBar has 2 Olympic champs on a day, he picks a 4-word title where the first letter of each word are the initials of the 2 gold medalists. He then makes up a phrase. I don't think the phrase itself means anything.

Comment

Thanks bambam1729, for the key clue that gives me a chance in Doublebar's quizzes.....something like medical school clues on a pneumonic for cranial nerves (On Old Olympus Top......) or your specialty, wrist bone pneumonic phrase (Some Lovers Try....,,). Now I can have a fighting chance on the next quizzes , (not too likely.)
            I first thought of Lovelock and Bannister but one did not gold and math did not add up.

Comment

You're right, midwestfan, Delany did get an honorary doctorate and if anyone ever deserved an honorary doctorate in flying over a bar on his back over seven feet off the ground, it would have to be Dick Fosbury. Ok, I stretched it a bit, but you get the idea.

Comment

Did I miss the post where Michael Douglas came into this?

Comment

Ron Michael Delany and Dick Douglas Fosbury.

Comment

Originally posted by midwestfan View Post
                    Thanks bambam1729, for the key clue that gives me a chance in Doublebar's quizzes.....something like medical school clues on a pneumonic for cranial nerves (On Old Olympus Top......) or your specialty, wrist bone pneumonic phrase (Some Lovers Try....,,). Now I can have a fighting chance on the next quizzes , (not too likely.)
                    I first thought of Lovelock and Bannister but one did not gold and math did not add up.
                    I assume you meant mnemonic, not pneumonic

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
                      Ron Michael Delany and Dick Douglas Fosbury.
                      Or Richard Douglas "Dick" Fosbury

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post

I assume you meant mnemonic, not pneumonic
                        Yes, I must have had too much COVID-19 on my mind, thanks for correction

Comment

Ron Michael Delany and Dick Douglas Fosbury

Now I get it!!!

Comment

Working...
                          X