Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Source for, say, top 20, '79 Int'l Cross Country Trials, Atlanta

A friend, Ted Rupe, finished in something like 12th or 13th in the 1979 International Cross Country Trials in Atlanta (Feb 10). Our mutual friend Marc Hunter, his old teammate at Cleveland State, won the race, qualifying for that year's World Cross Country Championships. Ted was wondering if I knew of a source for the finishers of the Atlanta trials that is deep enough to include him. I have the Track and Field News reporting on this race, found on page 33 of the March '79 issue (see the image), but it only lists the top ten finishers.

I looked up the archived Atlanta Journal Constitution newspaper story, which is extensive, but only the top few finishers are mentioned. I haven't yet searched other newspapers.

Can someone point me to a source with a longer list of finishers, to at least include Ted's name? If not, can anyone verify Ted's finishing position?

Marc is the father of 2019 USATF Indoor Nationals 2-mile champion Drew Hunter, who, at 21, also made the Doha Worlds team in the 5000 but had to give up his spot due to injury.

Thanks,

Matt
    You do not have permission to view this gallery.
    This gallery has 1 photos.

Marc Bloom might be your best bet.

Comment

Thanks, gm. I didn't find Marc Bloom in the members list (I could have missed him). Do you or anyone else have a direct link to Marc? I could go through the publisher of his latest book, but that's indirect.

Here are crops from the Atlanta Journal Constitution from Feb 11, 1979, covering the XC Trials race won by Marc Hunter.
      You do not have permission to view this gallery.
      This gallery has 2 photos.

Comment

Louisville Courier Journal didn't cover the race. It had the Mason-Dixon Games for competition.

Comment

Working...
        X