Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Triple Jumping sprinter

A quick question - which sprinter of the last 100 years made the world's top-100 in the Triple Jump, and won the US 100 title - might seem difficult, but I suspect it'll be easy for
    1 or 2 of you

Originally posted by richh View Post
    A quick question - which sprinter of the last 100 years made the world's top-100 in the Triple Jump, and won the US 100 title - might seem difficult, but I suspect it'll be easy for
    1 or 2 of you
    Almost certainly wrong, but Ira Davis is the only name that comes to mind.

Comment

I'm pretty sure Ira Davis never won a national 100 title.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
        I'm pretty sure Ira Davis never won a national 100 title.
        Yes, I didn't read the question properly. The person is much better known as a sprinter, not a triple jumper.

Comment

My first thought was Barney Ewell. I know he long jumped, but I was not aware that he ever triple jumped, and I haven't tried to look it up.

Comment

Lots of top sprinters long jumped, including Eulace Peacock, perhaps the most overlooked athlete of all-time. Did he triple jump?

Comment

I feel like DeHart Hubbard triple-jumped a bit? Not sure off the top of my head if he won a US 100 title, but he equalled the 100y WR at 9.6.

Comment

Catson52 did very nicely to stumble onto it. Peacock was 2nd in the 1935 Penn Relays TJ, reaching 46'9 5/8, which ranks about 90th in the world that year. I'm still working on the event list for that year, but he's definitely in the top-100. Of course, he won the AAU 100 that year running 10.2w to beat Metcalfe and Owens Peack also beat Owens in the heats of the 100, again running 10.2 - though I've never seen what Owens ran in that race. I'm digressing. Well done Catson52

Comment

He's much further back than richh wanted, but Malcolm Ford won several US titles in the 100 (yards) and set a world best in the triple jump (well before IAAF record keeping)

Comment

Billy Brown was another very good sprinter/TJer... would have (wrongly) guessed him if I'd remembered him a bit earlier, though he was probably better known as a jumper than as a sprinter.

Comment

Originally posted by richh View Post
                      Catson52 did very nicely to stumble onto it. Peacock was 2nd in the 1935 Penn Relays TJ, reaching 46'9 5/8, which ranks about 90th in the world that year. I'm still working on the event list for that year, but he's definitely in the top-100. Of course, he won the AAU 100 that year running 10.2w to beat Metcalfe and Owens Peack also beat Owens in the heats of the 100, again running 10.2 - though I've never seen what Owens ran in that race. I'm digressing. Well done Catson52
                      Thanks, it was a total guess. Have always been fascinated by EP. If fate (and his being prone to injuries) had been a bit different, he may have been the star at Berlin

Comment

Working...
                      X