Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job Kie

Happy birthday today (Saturday) to an Olympic champion who competed in the same event at four different Olympics and won two gold medals and one bronze medal.

Our birthday athlete also won World Championship gold and silver medals.

No hurdles were involved in any of these five medals which were won during two different centuries.

This champion celebrates birthday number 48 today and if you rearrange the six letters in the title, you could get a clue that might help reveal the name of our birthday person for this penultimate Saturday of March.

Now is the time to name our birthday athlete.

Originally posted by DoubleRBar View Post
    Happy birthday today (Saturday) to an Olympic champion who competed in the same event at four different Olympics and won two gold medals and one bronze medal.

Our birthday athlete also won World Championship gold and silver medals.

No hurdles were involved in any of these five medals which were won during two different centuries.

This champion celebrates birthday number 48 today and if you rearrange the six letters in the title, you could get a clue that might help reveal the name of our birthday person for this penultimate Saturday of March.

Now is the time to name our birthday athlete.
    With this longevity and age, probably competed first at Barcelona. Four times in one event, same country, suggests either African or East European. Also middle/long distance or field event.

Comment

You are definitely on the right track, catson52.

Comment

Balasz Kiss turned 48 on the 21st but won just 1 gold medal [1996]

Comment

Our birthday athlete was fourth place at the 1996 Atlanta Olympics (where Kiss won gold).

Comment

Being too lazy intellectually and physically, I looked it up. This "puzzle" is on the up and up, as the person concerned is historically very important in track and field circles.

Comment

I looked it up too, and in the process learned a very interesting thing about this athlete that I had not been aware of before.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman View Post
                I looked it up too, and in the process learned a very interesting thing about this athlete that I had not been aware of before.
                A trailblazer, and one that has not really received proper recognition/credit from most, including yours truly.

Comment

Derartu Tulu

Comment

Happy birthday (48) yesterday (Saturday) to Derartu Tulu. Very good, J Rorick. Tulu won two Olympic gold medals in the women's 10,000 (Barcelona and Sydney) She took the bronze medal in the 10,000 in Athens (her final Olympics). You may recall that she ran her last lap in the Sydney Games in 60.3. Pretty amazing. Her fastest Olympic 10,000 was 30:17.49 at the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games. She was born in Bekoji, Ehtiopia.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar
                      She was born in Bekoji, Ehtiopia.
                      No wonder I could not make sense from Job Kie .
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

The interesting thing I learned about Derartu Tulu is that she is a cousin of the Dibaba sisters. (Wiki sez it, citing an article in Vogue on the Dibabas.)

Comment

The interesting thing I learned about Derartu Tulu is that she is a cousin of the Dibaba sisters. (Wiki sez it, citing an article in Vogue on the Dibabas.)
                          And, I believe, she is the first woman from her country (or should that read East Africa ?) to win Oly gold. Now they are all the rage in long distance events.

Comment

Originally posted by catson52 View Post

And, I believe, she is the first woman from her country (or should that read East Africa ?) to win Oly gold. Now they are all the rage in long distance events.
                            She was the first Black woman from Africa to win Olympic gold in any sport.

Comment

Working...
                            X