Edward J. Winrow (1937 – 2020)
LSD – Long Slow Distance

When I learned that Ed was seriously ill, I sent him this message.

Dear Ed:

Thank you for the many ways as a champion athlete and coach you’ve given back to long distance running and track & field.

You along with others from previous eras deserve to be in the Road Runner Club of American (RRCA) Hall of Fame. I’ll always do all I can to ensure that the work you and other first generation (1958-1970) New York Road Runners (NYRR) are never forgotten. I use the term you coined “Sedgwick Avenue Gang” often in describing the people and race course that gave birth to NYRR in 1958 at MaCombs Dam Park. The NYRR is now over 70,000 members with 53,000 finishers in the NYC Marathon. We could never could have imagined this growth in road running since the Sedgwick Avenue days.

As you know during my teenage years, I witnessed the modern day sport of long distance running being invented by people like yourself. History is fragile; easily lost, distorted and forgotten. I’ll always do all I can to properly preserve this great history of our sport that you helped make happen.

I’m also eternally grateful for the love you had for my father and your work in developing a move/play script about his life and his running battles with Jim McDonagh.

I and the running community are always pulling for you Ed.

Love
Gary Corbitt

John McCarroll – Gaelic American AC was one of Sedgwick Avenue gang I use to see racing as a teenager during the 1960s. John said the following after learning of Ed’s passing. “I never trained with Ed but I understand that he did mostly long slow runs. He was sort of a pioneer in long, slow runs. I used to train at an outdoor 11 laps/mile wooden track in the winter and I remember he appeared once while I was doing 200 yard intervals. He stopped and looked but didn't join in. He just kept on doing his long run. It worked well for him; he was a terrific runner, one of the very best in the U.S.”

Ed was a champion runner who achieved excellent results on slow training runs. The book “Long Slow Distance: The Humane Way to Train” by Joe Henderson tells the stories of five fellow revolutionaries (Amby Burfoot, Bob Deines, Tom Osler, Ed Winrow and Jeff Kroot) who all revolted against speed training. Ed was a master at even pace or negative split running. His wins usually included strong and dominating closing miles.
In 1966 he won three national titles including setting an American Record for one hour run on the track running 11 miles, 1334 yards in breaking Norm Higgins record.
Ed’s national championship win at 30K was March 27, 1966
Silver Springs, Maryland
Ed Winrow 1:40:19.6
Lou Castagola 1:40:52
Gar Williams 1:41:03.6
Tom Osler 1:43:38
Paul Hoffman 1:44:01

Ed’s national championship win at 25K was October 9, 1966
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Ed Winrow 1:19:13.2
Ralph Buschman 1:21:43
Herb Lorenz 1:24:47
John Dockstader 1:24:51
Tom Osler 1:25:46

Ed set the 4 mile cross-country record at Van Cortlandt Park (2 laps of Cemetery Hill) on October 2, 1966. His time 20:03.2 broke John McDonnell’s record.

On April 26, 1964 Ed Winrow won his 5th straight Metropolitan AAU road race over the legendary MaCombs Dam Park course in the Bronx. Ed tied Oscar Moore’s 4 mile course record of 20:17 and broke Oscar’s 8 mile record with a time of 40:40.2 on this date.

Gary Corbitt
Curator: Ted Corbitt Archives
Historian: National Black Marathoners Association (NBMA)