Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most appearances in World Records

Excluding vaulters...

what is the record for having been in the same competition in which WR's were set, including setting them.

I throw this out, because of Carl Lewis and I'll need help,

From Carl's website www.carllewis.com
    4x100-37.86 in 1983, 4x100-37.83 in 1984, 100-9.92 in 1988,
    4x200-1:19.38 in 1989, =4x100-37.79 in 1991, 4x100-37.67 in 1991,
    100-9.86 in 1991; 4x100-37.50 in 1991; 4x200-1:19.11 in 1992;
    4x100-37.40 in 1992; 4x200-1:18.68 in 1994

That makes 11 of his own

Then also was in could throw in the BJ records in Rome and Seoul.
    He was in the Tokyo long jump with Powell and then also the 200 with MJ in Atlanta in 1996 for the 'human' 200 record.

All in all 13 if you don't count the BJ, 15 if you do.
    Individual events would be 4.

Can anyone beat that outside of the vault?

You:re not including rabbits, are you?

Comment

You don't have to throw out the vaulters. Paavo Nurmi is going to top the list in almost any manner you care to define it.

He had 22 IAAF-ratified WRs of his own, plus another 7 unratified or unofficial event marks. That doesn't include indoor performances, which were not recognized by the IAAF back then.

Comment

Re: Most appearances in World Records

Carl Lewis also set one official indoor WR in LJ (and a couple of world bests before IAAF started recognizing indoor records)
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

The Emperor :!:

Comment

Originally posted by dj
            You don't have to throw out the vaulters.
            I'm not a big field guy, but didn't Bubka have 35?

Comment

I'd imagine Koch beats Lewis's total, with her numerous 4x1, 4x4, 200 & 400 WR's....(not to mention 100yi and 50mi and her other indoor bests)

Do not have the inclination to work it out, but I'm sure some other users can/will...
              "If Gaby worked as hard with the weights as she did with her tongue she'd have a different concept of beauty. To get performances like mine, she'd have to sacrifice some of her good looks. The women of the west dont work as hard as we do" JK

Comment

As of last week, Geb's count of personal WRs was up to 20. If we include WR races in which he was present (London Marathon 2002 being the first that springs to mind), then his count would be higher.

Comment

Let me change the question a bit then

Who has the most appearances in a world record setting event, but not having set a world record (vaulters excluded again)

Carl's got at least two.

Comment

John Walker has at least 7

Comment

Linford Christie must have a few. Haven't checked relays, but his 100s:

87 WC
                      88 OG
                      91 WC
                      96 OG (does that count? He was on his blocks, anyway..)

Was he in any of Burrell's WR runs?

Edit - Christie was on the GB relay team when 3 WRs were set:

90 EC
                      92 OG
                      93 WC (semifinal)

Comment

What about Martin Keino? Anyone know how many he was involved in?

Comment

Originally posted by bekeselassie
                          What about Martin Keino? Anyone know how many he was involved in?
                          As the Rain Man would say, " about a 1,000, yeah, yeah definately a 1,000"
                          phsstt!

Comment

Dave Davis had 7 non-winning marks in WRs by O'Brien. Nieder and Long between 1959 and 1964, and Sergey Litvinov, despite 3 WRs of his own between 1980 and 1982, was behind 7 WRs of Sedykh and Tamm (in only 5 competitons) between 1980 and 1986. Janusz Sidlo set a WR in 1956, then lost it later that yeat and placed 3rd in the WR by Lusis 12 years later.

As to total WRs, then DJ is correct (though it's close:

Nurmi - 22 official + 13 unofficial = 35, plus indoors 5 unofficial = 40
                            Bubka 27 + 1 = 28, 10 official indoors + 1 = 11, total =39
                            With all sorts of weird distances accepted in the past (even if indoor records were'nt accepted for along time) history favours the old timers. Bubka and Carl Lewis (12+ 9 =21, + 1 indoors = 22) are the only athletes with 20 or more WRs/World Bests to have competed in the last 50 years (there are 7 others)

Comment

Originally posted by richh
                              Bubka and Carl Lewis (12+ 9 =21, + 1 indoors = 22) are the only athletes with 20 or more WRs/World Bests to have competed in the last 50 years (there are 7 others)
                              Koch has set more than 20 WR's (I'm sure of it!)
                              "If Gaby worked as hard with the weights as she did with her tongue she'd have a different concept of beauty. To get performances like mine, she'd have to sacrifice some of her good looks. The women of the west dont work as hard as we do" JK

Comment

Working...
                              X