I'm Reel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm Reel

Happy 78th birthday today (Wednesday) to an Olympic champion competed in three Olympics, won the Olympic gold medal at the first of those three Games, and carried the national flag during the Opening Ceremonies at the second of those three Olympics.

Our birthday athlete competed in the same event at all three Olympics, but competed in three events at the first of those three Games.

This champion had to travel approximately 5,954 miles (9,582 km) from this person's home to the stadium where this athlete won that Olympic gold medal.

You might already know that this person started in one event and then switched to a similar event in track and field.

Take the six letters in the title, unscramble those six letters, and come up with a clue for the name of our birthday athlete on this third Wednesday of May.

Don't worry about the hurdles when trying to think of an event for our birthday athlete.

Can you name this Olympic champion? Please give it a try.

Chi Cheng

Comment

Tell me the rules. If I happened to see a birthday greeting for this athlete on Twitter this morning, does that count as looking it up?

Comment

It's not Chi Cheng and no, seeing a birthday greeting on Twitter does not count as looking up the answer. I would say that counts as good luck.

Comment

Then Happy Birthday to Lynn Davies!

Comment

Very well done, tandfman and yes, happy birthday today to Lynn Davies. Lynn lives in Wales and celebrates 78 years this day in May. He started out as a pretty good footballer (soccer), then became a triple jumper, and finally won the Olympic long jump gold medal in the rain of Tokyo in October of 1964. In Tokyo, he also ran the 100 (didn't make the final) and he anchored the British four by 100 relay team that took eighth place.

Four years later in Mexico City, Lynn Davies carried the British flag during the Opening Ceremonies in Mexico City. He placed ninth in the long jump in Mexico City and he competed in the 1972 Munich Olympic long jump, however did not make the finals in West Germany.

At the 1964 Tokyo Olympics, Lynn beat Ralph Boston (the defending Olympic champion) 8.07 (26' 5 3/4") to 8.03 (26' 4 1/4"). That was almost 56 years ago. Today, I wonder who would win a long jump competition between Ralph Boston and Lynn Davies. They both seem to be in fairly good shape. If we have an Olympics in Tokyo next year, that might be a fun side-event.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam1729 View Post
              Chi Cheng
              the subject line led me to that conclusion too

Comment

I still haven't figured out the anagram.

Comment

Lynn Davies is married to Meriel.

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

Yeah, that was the only thing I was basing Chi Cheng on

Comment

Playing this game is a great ego supression. Quite often, I feel dumb as a doorknob.
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by Pego View Post
                        Playing this game is a great ego supression. Quite often, I feel dumb as a doorknob.
                        Bambam would say you're ready for the head coaching job at Clemson. 😃

Comment

Originally posted by gh View Post

But Chi Cheng never won gold did she?

Comment

Wiki says Chi Cheng won bronze in 1968 80m hurdles. I would have used the Olympic database, but it seems to be shut down. Why bambam??

Comment

Originally posted by KDFINE View Post

But Chi Cheng never won gold did she?
                              correct, but I said it was the subject line that led me to the conclusion; I hadn't even read the clues at that point. I like to try to guess these just from the subject line (although I rarely do)

Comment

Working...
                              X